Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer told me today Ducati have told them they must now use 15w50 oil in all 1200 multi's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
871 Posts
5W
15W

it's really all the same until the temps get cold outside.

I'll need some citation from Ducati before I'm going to do anything other than what the mothership has spelled out.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,309 Posts
I've got about a half case of 10w40 full syn out in the garage that will get used up before any of that happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My dealer told me that Ducati has approved one engine oil only for the new MS VVT engines. It's made by Shell. He said any other oil will not allow the VVT actuators to function properly.

Can anyone confirm that with your dealer? I'm not planning to come off the Pikes Peak any time soon, but I am curious.

Regardless, he said he's ordered a number of cases of the Shell oil to keep in stock.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,309 Posts
My dealer told me that Ducati has approved one engine oil only for the new MS VVT engines. It's made by Shell. He said any other oil will not allow the VVT actuators to function properly.

Can anyone confirm that with your dealer? I'm not planning to come off the Pikes Peak any time soon, but I am curious.

Regardless, he said he's ordered a number of cases of the Shell oil to keep in stock.
If true, that will suck...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,186 Posts
According to the 2015 owners manual there's nothing different in the requirements. Your dealer is as typical lowlife trying to con you into buying from him at some elevated price.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

@YourDealer: The needle on my bullshit meter just twitched.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I call BS as well...

If the actuators were that sensitive to oil viscosity and chemistry, the engine would have all sorts of problems as the oil temperature varied in normal day to day use, and the oil aged between services.

Unlikely!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Been running my multi and my 1290 on Motul double ester 10W60, smooth as gear box now on both bikes, and changing oil at 7500Ks

·
Registered
167 Posts

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to make such agreements with oil companies (or other vendors); KTM had a similar one with Shell before they had one with Motorex. It has more to do with lubricating the supply chain than anything specific in the motor. Most modern synthetic oils will satisfy the requirements. It's mostly just fodder for starting more "which oil is best my bike" threads. Your dealer should know that...

·
Registered
68 Posts
According to the 2015 owners manual there's nothing different in the requirements. Your dealer is as typical lowlife trying to con you into buying from him at some elevated price.
First, my dealer is not a 'typical low-life'.. he's a friend.. so pls take your disparaging comments elsewhere.

Second, maybe what he said has some validity. The extract from the 2015 owners manual - if that's what you posted above - lists "Shell" oil for the engine. I know most manufacturers list 'their' brand of oil, but Ducati hasn't done that here.

Again.. I'd be curious to see what other Ducati dealers say.. rather than guys like me who merely have an opinion..

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,186 Posts
If you don't like disparaging comments never ever start an oil thread. And trust me, low life is the least disparaging description I could come up with for someone making such an ignorant claim as your dealer did. :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Some dealers are scum and then theres the bad ones .

·
Registered
839 Posts
Been running my multi and my 1290 on Motul double ester 10W60, smooth as gear box now on both bikes, and changing oil at 7500Ks
OPPs this was not correct, ive been running both my bikes on motul 15w50 ester core, sorry brain fade, looked at the wrong container. i dont mind oil threds as oil technology is changing all the time, and i recently went to a talk thing with the NZ importer of motul products, and that was very interesting. you pay for what you get, cheap oil, is that, no additives, top oil has a high percentage off quality additives, and thats what protects your engine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts