Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this?

My bike has done more than 23,000KM and has started showing me a spanner and "desmo service" message in the round screen - all good.

Riding home tonight on the freeway I was doing about 110km/hr (in between the frequent speed cameras) and I think the bike got to 23,760km on the ODO and the desmo service message came on the screen but the red led around the round screen flashed and the ignition stuttered. It coughed like it was starved of fuel. It did that for about a second or two and then picked up and the rest of the ride home was normal.

I was in the middle lane of 3 lanes at the time with a knucklehead right up my clacker and it seemed dangerous. I assume this was a programmed in system feature to get me to spend $1500 on a service. Seems dangerous.

Anyone else seen this happen??????

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Humpo,
What is the weekend in port????

I don't think I am going because I don't know what it is.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Yeah sort of like the HUGE waste of money people put out for the YEAR 2000 Computer BUG that was supposed to cause all kinds of catastrophies. Don't fly the midnight flight...

Reccommended service should be done , TOO BAD that you get charged huge for adjustments that are in spec , and not needed ...
Bike should be SUPER DOOPER when it is complete and ready for another long trouble free life...
Good luck

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Humpo,
Sorry. Not going. I am not that gregarious and I have work to do. I have the MTS experience every day - without the corporate hype.

·
Registered
357 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had the 22,500 mile service done to my bike, but the mechanic forgot to reset the service indicator. I didn't think it was a big deal and I would just get him to turn it off next time I as at the dealer.

A few days after the service I noticed that the multi now seems to have a strange new rev limiter. I found this out when making an ill-advised passing manouver. Not a good time to find out you don't have the revs you think you do.

After some experimenting it seems that the bike will go straight to whatever the normal rev limit is (10k? dunno) in 1st and 2nd, but in 3rd and higher the engine takes a break at around 6750, then after a few seconds will continue on up to the true limit if I hold the throttle open.

If this happened in every gear I'd think something was wrong with the bike, but since it's just in the higher gears I'm thinking this is being done by the ecu? Which if true is just a fantastic feature.

I need to get the bike back down the dealership to see if simply turning off the service indicator will fix the problem. I've been waiting to hear from them about the issue I've had with the body panels (swelling gas tank has moved all of the panels out of wack, Ducati is replacing the gas tank and all panels behind the nose of the bike under warranty) before I make the kinda long ride to the dealer.

As a side note the warranty on my multi is up June 15th. I inquired about an extended warranty and was told that Ducati USA is not working with the company that was servicing their extended warranties anymore, and the dealer told me he had no options for extended warranty to offer me. Anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dealer also confirmed that no extended service plan (backed by Ducati) were available. My factory warranty expires in May 2013.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
This warranty news is concerning, but I wonder if the dealers noted are getting the story straight. What I understood was that the company backing the EverRed warranty would no longer be underwriting new policies after March 2012, but that another option would be available. The big difference being that new policies going forward would not have complete coverage of electronic components. Still, mechanical coverage shoud be available for extended warranties. I can't believe that ZERO options are avaiable through Ducati or their dealer network.

In any case, document very thoroughly the issues you are having now and your attempts to get them fixed. If the same issues arise after your factory warranty expires then you'll have a fighting chance to get coverage for those issues.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
this coupled with other recent and related threads makes the EverRed warranty offered at $900 a short while ago seem a whole lot more attractive all of a sudden.....

hope your bike's issue gets sorted out soon.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Magoo,
I did not link the hiccup to the rev limiter but that may be it. I think the flashing red lights around the round screen may add evidence to this. As I mentioned, I was chuffing along and was no where near the real rev limit. I'll test it out today.

If the bike does have a lowered rev limit when the desmo service reminder is on I will be a little grumpy that we have not been told. Seems a little dangerous not to advise owners. It may hamper a passing manoeuvre.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
I would be very careful about extended warantys.
They show you a pamphlet that is vague at best and expect you to buy without looking at the whole contract till after you buy.
Look and read very carefully, I have had trouble getting the dealer to verify that the company offering the extended waranty (not Ducati ever red) will Repair ALL the ELECTRONICS , etc.
The dealer reply was (from the non Ducati waranty company) "If any variances between our waranty and Ducati factory extended warranty, We'll honor if fixed at your store we'll be as good as theirs"

The answer I wanted was that yes we will fix ALL the electronic components.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
...If the bike does have a lowered rev limit when the desmo service reminder is on I will be a little grumpy that we have not been told. Seems a little dangerous not to advise owners. It may hamper a passing manoeuvre.
Any chance that temporarily lowered rev limit could have been due to an actual fault, not the service message? Some Monster EVO 1100 owners have reported something similar on this forum, but not linked to any service message (unless the posters neglected to reveal that bit). It wasn't entirely clear in those reports whether the issue was due to DTC errors or possibly ABS issues ... perhaps wheel speed sensor probs affecting both systems? The common symptom was acceleration up to a certain rpm, then cut-out long before the true rev limit is reached. Switching the bike off and then on a few times cleared the limit temporarily in some cases. ABS errors were indicated in some cases.

Can you check to make sure your wheel speed sensors (or at least the accessible front sensor) are connected, undamaged, and clean?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Anyone seen this?

Riding home tonight on the freeway I was doing about 110km/hr (in between the frequent speed cameras) and I think the bike got to 23,760km on the ODO and the desmo service message came on the screen but the red led around the round screen flashed and the ignition stuttered. It coughed like it was starved of fuel. It did that for about a second or two and then picked up and the rest of the ride home was normal.

I was in the middle lane of 3 lanes at the time with a knucklehead right up my clacker and it seemed dangerous. I assume this was a programmed in system feature to get me to spend $1500 on a service. Seems dangerous.

Anyone else seen this happen??????
Exact same thing happened to me at the exact same mileage.

Maybe Ducati wants to remind us that the bike is due in for service by stalling us out on the roadway at significant speed?

It seems to be mapped into the bike.

Dan

·
Registered
357 Posts
I should have mentioned that I didn't notice the red light flashing that you mention. It could have been happening, but I feel like I would have noticed that since I was paying pretty close attention to the tach. I'll check it out tomorrow if the rain gods cooperate.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I very much doubt anyone would approve a "feature" that reduced power unexpectedly (apart from the obvious traction control). Can you imagine the lawsuits if someone died as a result of being plastered on the front of an oncoming semi?

Sounds like a fault to me, e.g. wheel speed sensor and/or DTC.

My 2c

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Tim , same thing happened to me on a "regular basis" coming up to the 24000k service . It is my understanding that this is Ducati's way of harassing you to arrange for the major service.

dont give it another thought - its slightly annoying but it goes once the service is reset. as for it being dangerous ....

bwah hahaha ahhha ..... its not dissimilair to the TC cutting in for a nano second ..

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wOmb2t,
If only. A nanosecond is a billionth of a second.
My bike felt like it lost power - as in most of the power - for maybe 1 to 2 seconds.

Dumb idea. Reminds me of when I hired a Ford falcon in Darwin and drove it to Katherine. Passing a 7 trailer road train the motor cut out totally when I got to 160km/hr. This is with 2 wheels in the dirt and the road train weaving like a pissed off snake. Turns out this was a safety feature installed on rental cars only. Lucky I was stuck to the seat with brown glue.

Dumb idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts