Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence here...I am conmsidering selling my 2003 Senna ST4S W ABS,,,And getting either an SS or a Multi...I really like my ST4...and it is properly fitted out w/Leo Vinci cans,lowering plates,Heli Bars,DD headlight ,new Angels,Sergent Seat...and I just did belts....and added a voltage meter,and a USB receptacle..
My question to the list is for those that went to a Multi or SS from the ST4S...
Would you do it again??
What did you like?
What did you dislike??
Would you do it again??
Heres a pic of my girl...she just rolled over 18000 miles
MIke S

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Owned an ST4 & a MTS1200, rode an SS for a day. The riding position of the SS is that of the ST but the SS is more on the sport side. Very similar power but the SS feels quick out of a turn. The SS has a bit of a buzz in the pegs at highway speed but surprisingly good wind protection from that little screen. It would make a great commuter but it's not a sport tourer. If you like everything about the ST the MTS does it better with a lot more grunt. Two up with 3 bags loaded it's a frickin mule. Personally if you could swap motors and suspension you'd have a great ST.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'd answer your question with a question... why are you thinking about selling your ST? That might help steer the conversation.

I was contemplating upgrading to an MTS or SS, like you, but coming from an ST2. I was looking for a little more oomph, and the riding position was starting to bother me after a few hundred miles, so was looking for something more upright. I only sat on an SS and it felt similar to my ST in riding position. The smaller capacity, non-hard bags that wouldn't hold a helmet were also a downer for me. Coupled with no second-hand options and high retail, I started looking more seriously for a used MTS.

I've only gotten a few rides in on the MTS, but the things I like are primarily the more upright riding position (knees and neck are way happier), the power, and both ride quality (skyhook) and adjustability of the suspension. Though I'v had the suspension rebuilt on my ST, the MTS is still head and shoulders above.

The only thing I don't like so far is the serviceability compared to the ST. If you think the plastics on the ST are a pain, the MTS will make you cry. Getting at the air filter requires removal of all plastics, as well as moving the gas tank. Getting at the plugs requires the same, plus moving the radiator. All the tech, while cool, adds to the complexity with more wires and more stuff in the way, less space to work and more things to potentially go wrong. From that standpoint, I now really appreciate the simplicity of the ST.

Do you lean more towards sport riding, or more towards touring?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great question D3
I dont really tour ...I am a weekend fair weather rider...under 55 degrees and im out!!
I enjoy a spirited ride at speed but I am not usually more than 10-15 over the limit...I would like more power than the ST has and the new riding aids do attract me...
I guess I need to take a good demo ride on the SS and the Multi and see how they leave me feeling.
I am dreaming of taking a Multi or SS over the road...doing a multistate ride..but I also have an enclosed trailer that will haul 4 bikes and all the gear..take it to the destination and ride the roads...then trailer it all back..No weather worries...and I can talk some crap with my friends on the way back...
Thanks again for the responses..they are very appreciated...
Mike S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts