Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding for about 20 years but took 5 years off for "life" events. My last ride was a Yamaha FJR. Used to ride with CessnaTPA and some other folks from the Tampa area. Rode his Multi a number of years back and fell in love with the bike.

Just bought a 2013 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak edition. Single owner and only 7900 miles. Excited to be back on 2 wheels and looking forward to gleaning good info about my new ride.

Ryan

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,247 Posts
Hi Ryan and welcome to Ducati.ms. Congratulations on the new to you Multi! We are super happy to have you here. :)

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,377 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

You'll find a new definition of the word "livelyhood".

Also kudos on the Pikes Peak version, very good year with the Sachs Skyhook suspension!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very similar story, I got out about 6 years ago and then recently a good friend introduced me to his 2013 Hyperstrada. My HM is unlike anything I've ever been on, and I've had some experience. The last sporting ride I had was a 2005 Honda RC-51. Another friend has a newer Multi that thoroughly impressed me. The friend and the bike. I have used this forum and the combined wisdom contained here to learn much about my bike. I've only had her about 3 weeks and for a week I was convinced my bike didn't have "personality" but rather had something wrong. Turns out it is probably 99% inherent "personality" but she's just a couple hundred miles from her first 7500 mile service. Ocala Ducati and Sebastian know she's coming and I will know for sure after that. I have come quickly to appreciate the amount and quality of information available here and have already put it to good use - the advanced search is great!

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,377 Posts
Ocala Ducati and Sebastian know she's coming and I will know for sure after that. I have come quickly to appreciate the amount and quality of information available here and have already put it to good use - the advanced search is great!
You have a tremendous dealer taking care of your bike like if it were their own. Youre in good hands when you buy with Mellilimoto. I actually bought my first Hypermotard from them :)

Plus the ride to and from Orlando is long enough to reflect and short enough to where you dont get monkey butt. Those motard seats can cramp even the mightiest of iron rears :)

I think the Hyperstrada is a great bike to start on for touring but you will eventually find yourself wanting to go further and further and I think thats where bikes like the Multistrada will start to appeal. But take your time and look into it when you are looking for something more.

Cheers!

Reactions: MTSBoom

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ryan and welcome to Ducati.ms. Congratulations on the new to you Multi! We are super happy to have you here. :)

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.
Thanks. Hopefully this works.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Been riding for about 20 years but took 5 years off for "life" events. My last ride was a Yamaha FJR. Used to ride with CessnaTPA and some other folks from the Tampa area. Rode his Multi a number of years back and fell in love with the bike.

Just bought a 2013 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak edition. Single owner and only 7900 miles. Excited to be back on 2 wheels and looking forward to gleaning good info about my new ride.

Ryan
Nice choice and welcome!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Still trying to learn all of the functions of the bike to include the Skyhook system. Unfortunately, I sold all my gear a few years back so I'm still waiting on new stuff so I can put some miles down.

Does anybody have any preferred settings for daily commuting? I haven't even looked what previous owner has set damping and pre-load to and hard to say if I need to adjust since I haven't done any real riding on it yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks all. Still trying to learn all of the functions of the bike to include the Skyhook system. Unfortunately, I sold all my gear a few years back so I'm still waiting on new stuff so I can put some miles down.

Does anybody have any preferred settings for daily commuting? I haven't even looked what previous owner has set damping and pre-load to and hard to say if I need to adjust since I haven't done any real riding on it yet.
I'm not 100% on this as I had a lot of questions when I went to the suspension theory and tuning class Seacoast Sport Cycle offered, but one of the technicians leading the class told me a few things about the Skyhook in general that helped. Essentially the top 4 modes (Sport, Touring, Urban, and Enduro) have specifics where Sport is the stiffest, Enduro being the softest. (I am not sure about the accuracy on this, but it makes sense I guess). The "profiles" (rider only, rider + luggage, etc) really are just that, and should be used as such. You can basically make them all 150HP HI power / throttle response, and then use each setting as really just a "suspension change." You can have all your Sport "profiles" (even with passenger profiles) really just set for single rider, it's really just a label to hold the settings for the profile.

I am not 100% on the best place to start, as I bought my bike second hand (like you) and rode with the previous rider's settings for some time without changing too much. I'm wondering if anyone around here knows how to set suspension settings back to defaults because I'm finding that's probably the best place to start, set rider sag, then start playing with the preload/damping settings.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Not sure how much different yours is from my 2015 S, but I was able to go in the settings, return everything to the "default" factory settings. From there I have been tweaking them a little bit as I go until I find sublime.
Good luck with it! Hope to cross paths with you somewhere out there tooling around the state.
Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
You have a tremendous dealer taking care of your bike like if it were their own. Youre in good hands when you buy with Mellilimoto. I actually bought my first Hypermotard from them :)
I second the plug for Sebastian and Melillimoto. I've bought two bikes from him, and ride four hours past at least one Ducati shop that I know of to have Seb service my bike. He's a stand up guy, and knows Ducati's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts