Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owe a ride/impressions report but short story - this is an amazing bike! I have PP #266 and just thrilled. I have about 225 miles on it. Except for the short ride home from picking it up a week ago Saturday it has been all twisty backroads in sport mode.

Twice I have come home from a 40-50 mile ride and put the bike on the battery tender. The light shows solid red which should mean less than 80% charge. That seems odd given riding without stopping in a 4-6k rev range and leaving with a fully charged (green) battery. Anyone else have this problem or should I take it in to be looked at? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I have a '10 MTS and have never put the bike on a tender, not even during the winter months and haven't had an issue with battery capacity. A friend of mine has numerous vehicles and is always hooking them to tenders when he garages them. Every time he goes to get in something, the battery is dead. With 225 miles on your bike, don't be charging the battery, because all you're doing is tenderizing it with your tender. Since you've burnt through 8 lives, don't waste the last one on your battery. Battery Tenders are useful gadgets when needed, but dangerous in the wrong hands.

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a '10 MTS and have never put the bike on a tender, not even during the winter months and haven't had an issue with battery capacity. A friend of mine has numerous vehicles and is always hooking them to tenders when he garages them. Every time he goes to get in something, the battery is dead. With 225 miles on your bike, don't be charging the battery, because all you're doing is tenderizing it with your tender. Since you've burnt through 8 lives, don't waste the last one on your battery. Battery Tenders are useful gadgets when needed, but dangerous in the wrong hands.
Ummm, do you know what a battery tender does? I've used them on all my Ducati's (and other bikes). Not a gimmick and in fact my dealer put a connector on the MTS without me needing to ask.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I only plug in my bike during the winter months when I'm going to storing it for 5-6 months straight. Unless your going to be away for weeks at a time, don't bother. I've been doing it that way for 30 years..since I was a toddler, 2-3 years old. ( I wish).

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - I agree I usually only throw it on if I'll be away from the bike a couple of weeks or more. But I happened to put it on and the charge seemed low. Not trying to debate tenders (or not) I am more concerned that it would show less than 80% charge after riding.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine does the same thing.

Not to worry. All seems fine. In fact, I'm not buying the "less than 80% charge" indication as it usually turns green very quickly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine does the same thing.

Not to worry. All seems fine. In fact, I'm not buying the "less than 80% charge" indication as it usually turns green very quickly.

+ 1
Same thing here.
greg

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Ummm, do you know what a battery tender does? I've used them on all my Ducati's (and other bikes). Not a gimmick and in fact my dealer put a connector on the MTS without me needing to ask.
Actually I do.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Use it for the winter and if I plug it in it is on charge for only a very short time till it goes on storage mode.

I got a 20 hp rider mower that goes in storage for 5 months and no charger and it fires up every spring 4 year old battery...

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. This is the first time I have had a bike with this much electric "stuff" going on. What I have gotten from this thread is:

1. The tender may or may or may not tenderize
2. The lights on the tender may or may not be accurate
3. ignorance is bliss - had I not seen a red light I would not have asked the question that didn't really need an answer.

Separately, I am really happy with a Kriega Tailpack I got - will post picks in a few days when I have a chance to snap a photo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have a battery tender with a maintenance smart chip it will turn it will self regulate and only charge when the battery needs charging. A tender prevents the battery from sulfation build up which is any battery's enemy.

All my bikes have tenders on them. I used the Schumacher Electric brand but Battery Tender is just as good. The key feature is for the charger to not over charge but provide a maintenance charge to give the battery a longer life during extended down time.

If you use the bike daily and have one or two bikes you won't need the tender as often. But when you have multiple bikes as I do, one is going to get neglected. So its good policy to connect the neglected. My 2007 Fatboy still has the original battery.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
My intent wasn't to offend or belittle you. You (anyone) can overcharge a battery and reduce it's effective life. Batteries are designed to sit dormant effectively for periods of time without use. I have tenders for my bikes and automobiles, but I only use one if its required. We all look forward to hearing about your future experiences with your bike.

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
i have a few bikes and i ride daily , at most one will only lay idle for 2-3 weeks. they sit in a carport open to the weather. Never bothered with a tender .. i treat my bikes like crap in that sense :eek:

i generally get at least 4 years or more with my batteries , which by all accounts is a pretty good life

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
My bikes are always on a battery tender jr. unless I am riding them and I have never had a problem with early battery death. I put them on the tender after every ride and the light on the tender always shows red when first connected and then quickly turns to green.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine does the same thing, so I just went out to the garage and checked. I rode about 200 miles yesterday and did not have it on the charger last night. 13.09v. Battery is healthy and charged. Hooked up the Tender and got a solid red light as usual. Battery voltage quickly ramps up to 14.6 and stays there. I didn't stand around waiting for the red light to go out.
So, to answer your question - TADT.

BTW - I am a believer in the Battery Tenders. I don't charge often during the riding season - maybe every other week or so. But I have a hard-working tender that is constantly being switched over to whatever I'm not using. They do a good job of keeping batteries in tip top condition. What I love about it is I can leave it on the same battery for months - no worries. The trouble of hooking up the charger is far less than the trouble of dealing with a dead or weak battery IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts