Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way happy that I have a Ducati back in the garage (more importantly back on the road!) Picked up this 2012 today... I noticed a staining(?) on the exhaust pipes on the left side of the bike (see next pic / just below the chain - brown spots). Is this normal?

and now it's mine!

·
Registered
496 Posts
mine has it too...

I was noticing mine has what appears to be discoloration in that area. Wondering if it was normal? 7000 miles in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going with oil/grease from the chain melting on the CAT.
I'm thinking the same thing now as the white stuff is all over the swingarm and side/centerstand.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yep. It's baked on chain oil. A little degreaser and a fair bit of determination will clean it up.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Bikes are made to be ridden and with miles they get chips in the paint , wear and tear and the weathered look...
Normal . I can appreciate a bike that looks worn and almost beat up.

Some bikes come with a mess of chain lube that flings off and makes a mess on wheels etc.

Very pretty bike , you will spend a lot of time keeping it pristine , not a bad thing ...
Enjoy it...

Worth taking very good care of , don't let the other people cause you to be concerened about the things that may happen ...
There is lots to learn about the MTS and here is a good place to have your mind put at ease.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As MTScott says...bikes 'age' if we use them and it's up to each individual how much he / she wants to fight that battle. I spend a lot of time at it! The exausts on all used MTS's look a bit of a mess. When I put the Termi on I had hopes that the (maybe!) stainless pipes would look better....they don't...and I have had some very interesting email exchanges with Termi on that subject.
Some people have powder-coated their pipes but that does not always work. It can break down...especially on the front pipe...and especially is you are an 'all weather' rider. (Cold water lashing onto a VERY hot front downpipe....I could not find ONE powder coating company here that thought it would work. So I had mine done with Cermachrome. (Google it). I didn't pay to have the Cermachrome polished...so it's sort off matt grey. It looks fine. It's had a beating in the Malaysian monsoon rains...and it's still all there. Just for info!

·
Registered
734 Posts
One of the first things I do when getting a new bike is get rid of that white lithium grease on the chain. I think it's there for shipping purposes, I've seen it stain peoples chains when they leave it on too long and I don't feel it really does much for chain protection under normal use. I go back and clean it off and use chain wax. I've found the wax to work pretty damn good and the fling off issue is almost non existent with that stuff.

By the way congrats on the new bike, I can't wait for mine to show up!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Do a little de-cat operation, and your stain will go away.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Do a little de-cat operation, and your stain will go away.
AND a cannisterectomy along with the reflectors and the rear mud guard... Yeah and let the kid start it too..See if he can do it without a BIG SMILE!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What does the horible big sticker on the side of the Ohlins say? (I don't have that on mine). Nick

·
Super Moderator
6,017 Posts
you'll probly want to see the recent thread on tips for riding tall bikes, doesn't look like you can flat foot that beauty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, glad to see it is an active forum.

1) The dealer/manf chain lube will be removed / cleaned up for sure
2) The sticker is the Olins logo / blue sticker on the forks
3) It will be ridden, all my bikes are and a little bit of scratch, dirt etc won't bother me a bit
4) A "cannisterectomy" make be in the works but it will be a bit. Plan on minor mods on this bike (I say that now and my Bonneville simply groans)
5) I'll stop at dock locations to get on and off the bike so the height does not bother me :D. In my head that is what I look like on this bike, like a kid again with a big old grin on my face. That is my main pillion, my main man, who is so freaking happy that Dad has a Duc back in the garage and that he gets to come along. He rides a Yamaha 50 now with dreams of larger displacement.

PS - the ride home from the dealer was a real treat, I took the long way natch'

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
thanks for all the replies, glad to see it is an active forum.
Ps - the ride home from the dealer was a real treat, i took the long way natch'
natch!! :d

1 - 14 of 14 Posts