Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

New MTS 1200 S Touring - Some questions if I may

918 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Rhino TX 
#1 ·
OK.... Some questions of our learnered members. I have 2 Ducatis, with a 1200s arriving tomorrow.

Question # 1 - Headlights - I don't like riding in the dark, but sometimes you've got no choice. Upgrade ideas please ?
I'm thinking of adding engine protection bars, and mounting 2 of 4" x 50w HID's ( 1 spot & 1 flood) to punch out into the distance, and a pair of Cree LED's of 4 x 5w per lamp for the brighter lighting closer to the bike.
I will run them straight from the battery, through a fused relay, triggered by the standard high beam circuit. I've checked the alternator output specs, and think it will be OK, but would like to hear the thoughts of others, and what they may have fitted ?

Question # 2 - On my 2007 ST3, it cranked over rather sluggishly at times, and although it never failed, there was always the feeling that it would go flat before it fired. So I fitted the Hi Cap battery cables upgrade, and it improved cranking speed significantly, which resulted in the engine firing in less than half the time than previously. Any thoughts / experience with this on the 2017 MTS ?

Question #3 - On my ST3, if I don't plug it into the trickle charger, the fully charged battery will be dead flat in 4-5 days. The immobiliser is the culprit. How does the MTS go in that regard ?

Any input to the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. T.D.

See less See more
#2 ·
The headlights on the 1200S a very good. The leds work great. I don’t have any extra lights fitted and have no need to add them. Although it’s a personal preference.

The start up is a bit sluggish but never failed. But ever since I installed the RapidBike Evo, the start up has been instant.

I have never put it on a trickle charger, but I have never left it alone and not started the bike. The maximum I have left it alone has been 2 weeks and have not had any issues starting up.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Fred,
Can you please expand on the RapidBike Evo ?
What is it, where do you get it from, cost, time to fit ?

Cheers
T.D.

#3 ·
Congratulations on your purchase. What model year Multistrada did you get? I have a 2015 and the LED headlights work well in the dark. I've seen 2010-14 model years with LED bulbs fitted and they work well also. Aux lights are next on my list. Post some pictures!

#5 ·
Mike,

I got a brand new bike, but plated 11/2016

I live in rural / outback Australia. We've got a LOT of animals that move around at night.
If you don't have REALLY good lighting, you are playing "Russian Roulette" with avoiding a big hit.

For mine, LED's are bright & white,,, but they just don't punch out into the distance enough to pick up animals in the grasses and bushes beside the roads. And if it's kangaroos, then usually in a mob or 6 or more.

#10 ·
My 2015 1200 S has the best lighting of any vehicle I have ever owned. The bright LED's with cornering lights are just fantastic. I also have the optional LED fog lamps. If I use both at night, I get a lot of people flashing me thinking I'm on brights even when I'm not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.