Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I had to put tyres on last week and I saw this new Motul C5 Chain Paste 150mL/143g and got a tube. It cost AUD$14 at a Ducati dealer and is in a toothpaste like tube with a brush applicator. Key shown for size. It is about as long as a tube of toothpaste and maybe 2x the volume.

I have just replaced the chain and sprockets on my MTS1200 at 32,000km with DID chain and AFAM sprockets. I thought a bit of easy to use chain care would be useful. I have used both Motul chain wax lube and Bel-ray so far on this bike but both spray cans get pretty messy. The MTS has the rear chain crud catcher and this makes it hard to lube both sides of the chain without taking off the catcher with 3 hard to get at bolts. The other option is to just spray it on and get lube over the wheels and tyres or try to catch overspray with a piece of cardboard.

I gave my bike a clean today and gave it a go. This is what the top end looks like. Bristles are quite stiff.

Uncap, unscrew the brush, remove a foil seal on the tube end, refit the brush, squeeze and "paint" it on. Seems to work really well. Easy to apply to both top and bottom of the chain and use the brush to work the lube onto the o-rings. Top.

Bottom. Remember the MTS has a hard to get at chain but this is super easy. Just paint with one hand and rotate the wheel with the other.

Seems also to help get the crap out of the rollers and o-rings. This chain has only done about 1,000km so it is still pretty clean.

Wipe clean with a rag, job done in maybe 2 minutes. Absolutely no lube anywhere but on the chain. What a novel concept.

Summary. Seems an excellent product and quite good value. It is a small tube but there is so little wastage that I guess I will get ?30 lubes out of a single tube. The tube itself is small and flexible and would be easier to carry on tour than a pressure can. It is more of a paste or creme consistency rather than a wax but it is waaayyyyy cleaner to use than any spray I have used and is easy to lube the chain pivot areas without getting it everywhere. Many sprays really need you to spray and let it dry for some time to stop fling. This does seem to have that problem. Put it on and ride. You will need a wipe off rag after lubing but so far this is pretty good stuff.

I have not even fired the bike up yet so no info on how it works as a lube. I have used many Motul products in the past so I think it will work well. I will post again once I have a few km under the tyres.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the information TimOz! This looks like a very promising product. I have not had to lube a chain in a long time as I have had only bikes with belt or shift drives for many years. This really looks like a item that will make chain care much easier and cleaner than in the past.

Rick

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
The only thing I see that I might not like is it's too thick to get into the rollers. I don't believe that actually necessary to the life of the chain but it does make the chain run quieter.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.
Duckman, I don't think it is a problem. It is not thick at all and has a consistency like face cream. The brush allows you to work it into the chain pivot area and it also cleans the chain at the same time. I have applied it twice now and the chain is smooth and quiet and seems to be well lubricated. I have revised my estimate of how many applications a tube will give you to maybe 20 or so.

Liking this product more.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update.
I have done approximately 3,000km on the new chain and sprockets using only this lube. I have lubed it 4 times so about every 800km. The chain is perfectly clean, quiet and I have not had to adjust it al all. I am very happy with this chain lube.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Thanks for the write up and update. I just ordered some, now all I need is some warmer weather. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts