Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I've been on here a WHILE and for many hours. I am about ready to purchase and wanted to ask what I should ask for in terms of incentives and upgrades/discounts on a M1100S. I'm thinking of asking for a discount on the Termi system and maybe a discount on parts (thinking levers, clutch cover). Also I am going to try to get them to swap the tank/plastics for black from the base. Also maybe throw in first service?

I'm not sure what to ask for or what is normal, this is my first NEW bike and my first Ducati. I can't wait and I should be ready to buy with cash in hand by Wednesday at the LATEST so I need answers now please :D

So what can I expect walking into the dealership with cash...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I picked up a Monster 1100S about a month ago from a dealership here and got discount on Termis, a free $500 jacket and 20% off my other accessories that day (corsa 08 helmet, another jacket and some other stuff). They also greatly reduced their freight / destination and assembly charges but nothing major...

in short, I doubt you'd get an amazing deal -- but they should give you something ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up a Monster 1100S about a month ago from a dealership here and got discount on Termis, a free $500 jacket and 20% off my other accessories that day (corsa 08 helmet, another jacket and some other stuff). They also greatly reduced their freight / destination and assembly charges but nothing major...

in short, I doubt you'd get an amazing deal -- but they should give you something ;)

did you pay MSRP?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Accessories and Service have high margins so, that's where you make your best deal. Buy every accessory you think you might want.

The motorcycle itself isn't going to be discounted much unless it's old stock. Haggle on accessories and service.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought my M1100S a couple of weeks ago and what is being said by the others is pretty much spot on. You may be able to get a break in prep, assembly, freight, but not much off the bike itself. I was also offered 15% off of whatever acccessorie I wanted to add to the bike. So, if you are paying anywhere from 14,200-14,500 USD (not including tax, tags, docs) you are in the right ball park. New models in the beginning of the year aren't generally discounted if at all, but I'm sure somewhere out there is an exception. All I can say is if you're paying about MSRP, you aren't getting ripped...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my M1100S a couple of weeks ago and what is being said by the others is pretty much spot on. You may be able to get a break in prep, assembly, freight, but not much off the bike itself. I was also offered 15% off of whatever acccessorie I wanted to add to the bike. So, if you are paying anywhere from 14,200-14,500 USD (not including tax, tags, docs) you are in the right ball park. New models in the beginning of the year aren't generally discounted if at all, but I'm sure somewhere out there is an exception. All I can say is if you're paying about MSRP, you aren't getting ripped...
Break-in prep meaning a dyno break-in or something? I was going to ask them to do something like this because I live 60mi from the dealer and would rather have it broken in this way before taking it on the long straight highway stretch..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Break-in prep meaning a dyno break-in or something? I was going to ask them to do something like this because I live 60mi from the dealer and would rather have it broken in this way before taking it on the long straight highway stretch..
While I'm not currently a Ducati owner, I have used the fast break in method with good results on a Japanese model. The key is to avoid constant engine speed. Do a lot of engine acceleration and deacceleration (in an area where it is safe) to seat all the engine components if you aren't going to follow the factory spec'ed engine break in.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My brother and I both had dyno break-ins done by the dealer. Our bikes have been dyno'd compared to other bikes that were broken in normally and ours have shown to be a bit stronger. They are not stronger by a lot but there is definitely a difference on the charts. My brother has an S4RS and I have a Hyper S.

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
new bike

:)
Just a few thoughts on your to be new Ducati... More important than the initial price ,How is the dealers reputation? If they forget about you after you buy you didn't get the best deal. I live about 60 miles away and I trailered my bike home ,cost about $35 for a U-Haul, This is so I could break it in on familiar roads on my own time when the time was right (after I stopped shakin and the thrill of new ownership sank in) . I waited 2 weeks from when I made the deal untill it was ready for delivery ,They were busy, I had termis ecu installed and they took off the "defective charcoal canister" .My Hyper has been flawless.Phoned about the wiggly rear sproket ....normal.. Take your time and enjoy the hell out of it. There is many good break in sites here also ..Congrats on your purchase the bike is the cheap part... All the best

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I went by the dealer today (actually like 80 miles not 60.. but whatever). I am going to buy their demo; the owner has been breaking it in (only has 300 miles on it now; and I'll get it when it has 600 and first service). They are going to bring in a black base model and put the black on the red framed S for me. Now I'm trying to decide what clutch plate/cover to put on. I was thinking black pressure plate with red caps... and unsure about cover. Gold might be a bit much I thought but maybe not... there was a gold Rizoma cover with clear screen on front that wasn't too bad.

We haven't talked price yet, it will be at least a week until they get the black base in...

This is the gold Cover I'm talking about:

·
Registered
53 Posts
:)

Just a few thoughts on your to be new Ducati... More important than the initial price ,How is the dealers reputation?
Tyler- Sorry of the confusion, when I stated "break in prep....etc" I meant a cost break not a dyno run or anything like.. i.e. as I'm sure you found out the prep costs are negotiable.

Also, Scott2 makes one of the most important points. that is the reputation and the relationship you have with the dealer can be worth all the discounts in the world. IMO, you need to have confidence in the that you will be treated fairly and that their technicians, parts, service people are competent and there to help you, not take you to the cleaners! Most of the Ducati people I've dealt with are great, but the value of your relationship may get lost with a high volume, multiple line (Honda, Yamaha, Kawa, Ducati) dealership. Obviously not true with all of them, we all understand that sole Ducati dealerships are probably in the minority, but you have to be comfortable...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tyler- Sorry of the confusion, when I stated "break in prep....etc" I meant a cost break not a dyno run or anything like.. i.e. as I'm sure you found out the prep costs are negotiable.

Also, Scott2 makes one of the most important points. that is the reputation and the relationship you have with the dealer can be worth all the discounts in the world. IMO, you need to have confidence in the that you will be treated fairly and that their technicians, parts, service people are competent and there to help you, not take you to the cleaners! Most of the Ducati people I've dealt with are great, but the value of your relationship may get lost with a high volume, multiple line (Honda, Yamaha, Kawa, Ducati) dealership. Obviously not true with all of them, we all understand that sole Ducati dealerships are probably in the minority, but you have to be comfortable...
The dealer has a good rep from what I've heard, they are also very friendly and helpful. Their staff seems to be good, knowledgeable. I've been given no indication to think otherwise of the dealer. I have a good feeling about them in summation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts