Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in everyones opinion on tire choices for my 2007 Sport Classic. Have run the Michelin Pilot Classic since I bought the bike new. My last set, currently mounted, will need to be replaced sooner than later. Purchased a few sets years ago and burn through them. Now have a fresh front tire, 5 years old this year, but no rear. Do not want to mix sets so figured I ask for others experience. I have Pirelli Rossa Corsa 2 on a Monster 1100 and Street Triple 675. I also have Michelin Power RS on 1098. Was considering the Rossa 3 because Pirelli clames longer thread life. These tires will be for street riding of no more than 100ish mph. I really liked the tread pattern of the Pilot Classic because it fit the style, but they did track a bit on the highway. Aslo like the Metlzer Sportec M3 because the thread design but have no experience with that brand. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just replaced my Pilot Classic's with Q3 plus tires while the thread pattern is
not classic they perform so much better than the Pilot Classic's it dosn't
bother me at all.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
No one looks at your bike and says “ Nice bike, too bad he screwed it up with those modern looking tires . “ Have you ever looked at someone else’s bike and thought about their tire selection ? I certainly haven’t. If the bike is moving you can’t even see the tread. Never sacrifice performance for appearance.

Reactions: mopgcw

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I’m a sucker for a sexy tread pattern. If they work great then that’s even better. Diablo Rosso III is a great tire, wears well, and looks good too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess it is toss up between Q3 and Rossa 3. I'll go with the cheaper of the two since it is slowly becoming a garage queen. Which I work in a lot so the visuals are purely for my enjoyment. But I do inspect most every motorcyle I run across stationary, from both an engineering and desgin perspective. In case I ever have the desire to make my own custom bike. And the money.

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
19,081 Posts
Since you said your bike is mostly a garage queen I suspect you don’t travel much or ride in the rain. In that case I’d recommend the Q3+ also. But first time you get caught in the rain you’ll wish you were on the Rosso III. :)

Sure you can limp home on a rainy day with the Q3 but..... I have both on bikes in my garage now and the difference in the rain is greater than the difference in the dry.

Garage Queen :)

Bike I Actually Ride Anywhere Anytime. :)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Dunlop Q4's are amazing, complete tire redesign on the materials used. Very absorbent over bumps, heats up very quick - phenomenal tire. Only a couple of rain days on them, but they worked ok.

·
19,081 Posts
Another good choice for a bike that either isn’t ridden much or tracked. But from what I’ve read they will pretty much be gone after one track day.

·
Official Retired Person
7,488 Posts
I've run Metzler Sportec on my GT1000 since I took off the original Michelins. The Metzlers are the best rain tire I've ever had. I get good milage and predictable handling. Makes me reluctant to change brands.

·
19,081 Posts
Hey Duckman....what differences did you find between the Q3 and Q3+ tires, if any?

Sorry, I’ve only used the Q3. From what I’m told the performance is about the same but the “+” is suppose to last a little longer.

But these are not long lived tires. Very sticky but don’t last very long. From what I’ve read the Q4 is very short lived and is really a street legal track tire that doesn’t need tire warmers.

·
19,081 Posts
I've run Metzler Sportec on my GT1000 since I took off the original Michelins. The Metzlers are the best rain tire I've ever had. I get good milage and predictable handling. Makes me reluctant to change brands.

The old Z6 Interact was one of my favorites. Best tire in the rain I ever road.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Sorry, I’ve only used the Q3. From what I’m told the performance is about the same but the “+” is suppose to last a little longer.

But these are not long lived tires. Very sticky but don’t last very long. From what I’ve read the Q4 is very short lived and is really a street legal track tire that doesn’t need tire warmers.

These are not long lived tires! But I feel I got one trackday on the Q3+ plus 2,000 spirited miles afterwards with the front tire still ready to go when I swapped them out for another track day. Three sets of the Q3 gave me two trackdays a month apart and they were shot, very few road miles available after that. I do live in a very hot climate, your results will vary.

The Q4's are brilliant so far, no trackday yet. They feel like I have a new suspension on the bike, especially for the road surfaces that have "ripples". Glides right over that. I also like the profile of these tires, they turn in easily right from new that the Q3's take a few months or a trackday to create.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
As I said the Q3's are my new goto, but they have a much different profile than the OEM Pilot Classics. I found the latter to be very flat, not much lean angle got you over to the edges. The Q3's are going to turn in much faster.

I like that, but depending on how you ride the bike you may feel differently.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Yes, that is exactly what I read. They beef'd up the middle to make them last longer. I am not worried that much about the longevity, since I split my riding time between three bikes and most of the miles I put on are on a bike with Sport Demons on it. I just wanted to see if the new design had changed the feel of these. Sometimes when they do a redesign, they screw up what they had.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'll second that. I had the Metzeler M5s, tried some Z8s (not as grippy) and am now on my second set of M7RR. The M7RR is the best of both worlds, excellent grip in wet and dry, plus it lasts longer because it's dual compound.

Reactions: ncgt1000

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info. I also plan on replacing the tubes since they are the original and figured it would not hurt. Any info on those will also be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts