Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow ST-Riders,

I'm new to the forum and figured an introduction is due:

I grew up in the Netherlands, but I've lived in Switzerland for over ten years and learned riding here on my first bike, a Suzuki Bandit GSF 600S (bought new in 2001, 43,000+mi, the majority of which on alpine roads).

I've just bought a nearly-new ST3s ABS (MY2007 with 4000miles on the odometer). I like it :).. as far as I can tell from the 500-mile dash on wet German Autobahns from the previous owner to my place. As maintenance is due, and the higher passes are closing for winter, I will have to wait for spring time to give her a first real spin in the twisties.. I'll let you know how that goes ;)

Anyway, if anyone needs any touring tips for the Alps (not only Switzerland), don't hesitate to ask me. If anyone's around for a tour: contact me and I may join..

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
126 Posts
You will love your St3, welcome.

·
Registered
439 Posts
welcome from Down UNder

Hi Mark,

Welcome from here in Australia.

I envy you riding in Switzerland regularly. I did an 11 day Alps riding tour on a hired KTM SMT, my usual bike is an ST3, so you've chosen very well.

My favourite pass in Switzerland was the Susten, I love the ascent from the east side. Of course the Grimsel and Furka passes are also blasts!

safe riding!

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mark,
My favourite pass in Switzerland was the Susten, I love the ascent from the east side. Of course the Grimsel and Furka passes are also blasts!
Not counting multiples, I've managed to bag 130+ alpine passes so far (on the Bandit), which only leaves a few hundred more to ride :). If you get to ride in Switzerland again, try the Bernina and San Bernardino passes (both south ascents). And you shouldn't miss the French Alps either, as you can read in one of my ride reports below:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/~smilespergallon/rides/france2009/index_a.html

Ahh.. the Alps :)

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome Mark

I've been lucky enough to ride in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Italy, the French Alps & also Lichtenstien. I envy you very much! I would love to be able to ride my ST4s over there. You should find that the ST3 is a great bike for riding in the Alps. I hope I can come over there to do some riding again. Enjoy your Duc.
Gregg

·
Registered
688 Posts
Welcome aboard, Maverick. I've done a lot of riding in Kansas. Saw the Alps once at 35,000 feet. If you ever get stranded in the middle of the U.S., you've got a place to stay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang. The Alps huh? I hate you!
I'll interpret that as an ironic remark, JasperST4.. just tell me if you really hate me :)

The Pacific North-West isn't bad for riding either, now is it? I'd love to go back there again to explore it some more! I did a tour there 4 years ago in Oregon. John Day, Crater Lake, Caves Hwy, and let's not forget that beautiful coastline!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'll interpret that as an ironic remark, JasperST4.. just tell me if you really hate me :)
Yes, it's 'merkin humor (sarcasm).
The Pacific North-West isn't bad for riding either, now is it? I'd love to go back there again to explore it some more! I did a tour there 4 years ago in Oregon. John Day, Crater Lake, Caves Hwy, and let's not forget that beautiful coastline!

Cheers,
Mark
Hey, you misspelled Pacific Northwet! Yes, there's good riding here, too many American drivers though.:mad: I'm further north around Mt. Rainier and St. Helens. But they're not the ALPS!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, it's 'merkin humor (sarcasm).
Hey, you misspelled Pacific Northwet! Yes, there's good riding here, too many American drivers though.:mad: I'm further north around Mt. Rainier and St. Helens. But they're not the ALPS!
Then I know where one of your next motorcycle tours will be!

And the weather can be crazy here too. I've used a heated vest in July and seen a foot of snow on a pass road in August.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts

Cheers,
Mark
You rode the part of the PNW with few people and many good roads. JapserST4 and I live in the part of the PNW with many people and few good roads.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You rode the part of the PNW with few people and many good roads. JapserST4 and I live in the part of the PNW with many people and few good roads.
Being from Holland, I certainly know what you mean concerning the weather, the number of people and the roads. The Alps can be crowded too, in summer, but riding off-season and on late afternoons/evenings in summer is great.

Cheers,
Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts