Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nice to find a strong group of ST owners! It seems most other forums have little activity in their ST section. BlueST2 gave me a heads-up about this site. Thanks! Previous bikes include a dozen over the past 30 some years. This Ducati is by far my favorite. Nothing I've ever owned put such an ear to ear grin on my face every ride.

My '01 ST4 is and has been my addiction for 6 seasons running. Ducati really hit the nail on the head with the ST series (in my opinion). Comfy ergos with all the heart and soul of a Ducati. People come up to me and ask if I like my Ducati. I ask them if they've ever ridden a Ducati.

If they say no I suggest they not ride one. I tell them that if they ride one they'll want one. My ST4 has been changed, a lot. That's one of the things I love about these Ducati. Each mod makes it slightly different and better.

Right now mine has 120RWHP and many other bells and whistles. Stock 916cc displacement. Really fun. I recently picked up a DP 955cc kit and next winter I plan to add that, balance the crank, go just a tad larger on the ports, and add an aluminum swingarm I picked up on the Yahoo forums.

If Ducati comes out with the S4RS in an ST version... well, I might have two ST's in the garage. I hope they do just that in the next two years (they will). 130HP stock, with some mods I can see 150RWHP, and in an ST version that would be the ultimate sport touring machine (in my opinion).

I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum. Hello everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Welcome to the board. Sounds like your ST is pretty well sorted.
I notice that you are in VA. Are you headed up to the Ducks on the Blue Ridge rally next weekend?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Welcome, welcome! It's about time you made it over! The folks here are terrific and very helpful without the usual attacks you see on other sites, except the yahoo ST site where everyone is very friendly. I found the folks over at ST.N were much more hostile towards one another so I bowed out! There's Quite a bit of tongue and cheek humor here but no malicious personal attacks! I'm forever being ranked on for having a BLUE Duc...all in good jest. You'll be safe here, as you own a RED Duc!

Lots more action on this site vs. Speedzilla...not a bad site, just much more bantering on the Ducati.MS boards. I think your really gonna like the camaraderie here much more.

Don't forget to post some pics of that awesome bike of your for all to see and drool over!

Cheers,

Thomas

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not going to Ducks Along The Blue Ridge this year because of scheduling difficulties. I've been there before - fun weekend!

Here's a few pictures of my 2001 ST4. I don't know about the "drool over" part - it's just an ST4, but I really like it. I did some engine work and it's kind of a sleeper. Here's a link to the thread at Speedzilla. It's been a fun project, and I'm proud of the end result.

Recently I added the Marchesini wheels which made a nice difference in handling, acceleration, and even ride quality. The new tires are Pirelli Diablo Strada. Pirelli was running a promotion where you buy a rear from anyone and Pirelli ships you a front for free ($25 shipping). Pretty good deal so I decided to try a set. So far, so good.

This year I hope to ride the Blue Ridge a lot, and take a few camping trips. This thing gets between 50 and 53mpg pretty much every tank, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Ducati hit a home run when they created the ST line.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
Welcome to the "family".

Post up when your gonna roll on the BRP, maybe we can get a small group together.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sure is, and it works well. I have the 45 liter pack and it slips onto the pack rack and sits on the passenger section of the seat. Then I strap the sleeping bag and pad onto the pack rack, opposite the pack. Not sure if you know about this system but if you go to their website the pictures help you imagine how to pack it all onto your ST.

What you're seeing on my bike is the grab handle. You install the handle, or the pack rack, or the sport rack. Takes 1 minutes tops to make the switch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Exhaust work

Did you get that fantastic exhaust system that is on the other page? Wow.. Nice welding job. I would like to know if he sells them pre-made. I would order a set in a heart beat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Top Case

ST4R said:
Sure is, and it works well. I have the 45 liter pack and it slips onto the pack rack and sits on the passenger section of the seat. Then I strap the sleeping bag and pad onto the pack rack, opposite the pack. Not sure if you know about this system but if you go to their website the pictures help you imagine how to pack it all onto your ST.

What you're seeing on my bike is the grab handle. You install the handle, or the pack rack, or the sport rack. Takes 1 minutes tops to make the switch.
I have the Ducati Performace Top Case. Love it. It was a little hard to get on. Stripped screwheads. After that fiasco it was not bad. I use it every day. It has more room then the side cases. I think it was about $400 for case and mounting system..

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes that's my ST4 on the Speedzilla page. The exhaust is just my stock ST4 collector that the guy modified for $75 including shipping. That's a real deal if you ask me.

Same head pipes. All I had done was the collector restriction modification. The guy does excellent work and in 3 years it has not cracked or changed one bit.

The wheels are from TAW Vehicle Concepts in Golden, Colorado. They say they're the sole US importer and distributor for Marchesini. I ordered the wheels in January and got them 2 weeks ago. Motowheels can order them, as can many other retailers. Or just call Jolene Waibel at TAW.

Thanks for the compliments. I love this bike.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome!
ST4R said:
Ducati really hit the nail on the head with the ST series (in my opinion). Comfy ergos with all the heart and soul of a Ducati. People come up to me and ask if I like my Ducati. I ask them if they've ever ridden a Ducati.
I agree, what a great bike and so comfy. I just rode last weekend out to central PA, two days on the bike, 1400 miles and I was not even sore. I love my ST3.

ST4R said:
If they say no I suggest they not ride one. I tell them that if they ride one they'll want one.
That’s what happened to me, my friend bought a ST3 last year, two weeks later I had my own, I wasn’t even looking for a new bike, I already had two that I liked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.