Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is jeff, and i have sold my two bikes to purchase a ducati....i think

i want a 1098, its been my dream bike since i started riding ('07, im a youngin)
i think its beautiful, i have heard great things about it, and there are some great deals in my area, 15K CAD is the best deal that i can find.

however, i am contemplating putting off getting my dream bike for something else.. an 08 CBR1000RR. brand new.
its winning bike of the year in every critics and magazines opinion
i love the look, its comfortable, and its fucking fast...pardon my french

anyone have any tidbits of information to sway me one way or the other?
i am going to purchase over the winter. probably sooner than later.

they are identical in price, but the duc is used with about 2000kms on it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 1098, and here's my opinion:

Unless you're some sick rider who'se ringing 100% out of the bikes, the 1098 is just as fast. In fact, I think the 1098 feels faster in street riding thanks to all that torque.

The 1098 is unique. If you don't mind being part of the herd, maybe this won't motivate you. To me, though, the 1098 has an appeal that can't be put down in some spec sheet. Obviously this is subjective and may not be the case for you. If its not, then maybe you should get the Honda.

I also think you'll be happier with the way the 1098 handles after a good set-up and perhaps a few mods. There's much more potential in the 1098 than the CBR.

Either way, those are both sweet bikes!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love the exotic feeling of the ducati. its like an elite club, which is something completely different from the honda, yes.

this bike will probably be doing double duty, street and track
seeing as i have sold my R6 track bike, and 08 GSXR750 to make this purchase

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ride them. They are two very different machines. If you choose the Duc be sure of any maintenance stuff you may need to have cash flow for. Best I can give you though is ride them. If it comes to be and you choose something other than what you thought, you may broaden your horizons even more than you initially planned.

-Chris.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
they are identical in price, but the duc is used with about 2000kms on it.
Not sure what kinda of price you are looking at, but in the U.S., you can get a new, left-over '08 CBR1000 for under $8000USD. So, you're looking at an over-priced Honda, or a helluva deal on a 1098. Both great, tho very different bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
canadian pricing is way over US pricing, due to taxes. our dollar is pretty close to identical nowadays.

a brand new cbr goes for about 14k canadian. a 09/10 is about 16-17k
a brand new leftover 1098 from the dealer is 18-19K CAD, 1098S is around 22K

its retarded. but thats life. cant find anything really in the NW united states.

and i am also aware of the ducs maintenance costs in comparison to the honda, which is another factor leading me to go honda haha.
i have ridden both, and i love the ducati's powering and handling characteristics, the honda is very smooth and very very powerful. and it feels so light and small. its also alot more street friendly, comfort wise.

....but the duc is my first love haha. so indecisive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Several Honda dealers in Ohio I know of selling the 09 CBR1000 for between 7-8K USD. New.

I would still take my Duc - even with the maintenance and stuff, just a different and more unique bike and experience. And after you ride a few years, it does not matter how fast the bike is. I know I will never be able to utilize the full potential of my bike, even if a newer 750 etc.

Try them both out, and if you get the Honda check into the ones that are burning (using) excessive oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Duc maintenance compared to most other motos=
"You save your money to buy a Ducati. You don't buy a Ducati to save money"
Paraphrased from a Ferrari quote

·
Registered
395 Posts
You also need to look at what you're getting for the money. The suspension and brakes on the Duc are superior to the Honda. An Ohlins rear for the honda would set you back at least a grand, forks two to three. Brembos for the honda would set you back more, and I have yet to see a factory steering damper on a Jap bike. If the only difference is 2K on the clock, the Duc would still be the better "bang for buck" purchase. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the duc is not an S model.
things are alot more expensive in canada, haha.
the cbr's are new, so there isnt really much of a way to check for burning oil issues, however i have heard its quite a common problem

with mortgage and everything, i cant afford to buy both haha, but i can afford to buy one or the other, maintenance included.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Are you kidding, cbr or a 1098? Test ride the Ducati. If not just start it. That will be enough to make up your mind. There is nothing like the torque of a Ducati 1098. No jap bike will outhandle it either. The cbr is a bellybutton bike. Everyones got one. The cbr is a nice bike but it is not a Ducati. You turn the key on a honda to start it. You turn the key on a Ducati to make it come alive. Keep in mind you are on a Ducati forum. I have never ever heard of anyone regretting buying a Ducati. They always regret selling them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a question for the americans haha
what websites do you guys use to advertise used bikes?

im searching kijiji and not finding anything

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a 999r Xerox and until last year had a 2008 GSXR 750. The Suzi was a great all around sportbike, even better than the 999r was, (but not by much) but it felt like a very well made Japanese appliance. It did everything I asked of it very well with no complaints and made me happy, but it did not have the same soul that the 999R does, or any Ducati for that matter. I suspect you would eventually have the same feeling regarding the CBR versus the 1098. I will perhaps have another Jap bike at some point, but I will ALWAYS have a Duc in my garage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Use ebay in the US, cycletrader.com or in google type in "ducati 1098 craigslist" and it will search for all the 1098's posted on craigslist. It has got to be cheaper to have it shipped to you from the US than pay the Canadian prices. You can use Uship.com find a shipper to get it to you. My bike shipped from San Francisco to St Louis MO. some 2000 miles for $500 and it was here in 2 days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts