Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, cool forum. My name is Derek McLeish, I live north of Santa Barbara California. I have been fortunate to live where we can race Land Speed Racing at the Bonneville salt flats, and the El Mirage and Muroc dry lakes. We have set over 160 speed records in motorcycle powered vehicles. I don't do forums so a total newbee in that regard. I need some tech help on a 748S 1996. We used the motor to power the SilverRod streamliner (photo included) to a 192mph record at Bonneville.
We upgraded the pistons and top end to SP specs. We used a donor wiring harness in the streamliner. The engine is back in the 948S and I have two (at least) wires
that I can't find on the wiring schematic. Old eyes and and too many years since ran the setup.
Hoping someone can help. So here are some pics of the wiring.
SilverRod at El Mirage.JPG
IMG_1793.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_1795.jpg
IMG_1791.jpg IMG_1792.jpg

·
Administrator
11,885 Posts
Hi and welcome to the our little corner of the internet forums. Very exciting stuff to see what you have going on with the land speed racing.
I might copy this thread over to the Ducati general forum to see if someone can give you some feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Off the top of my head I don't remember, even though having rebuilt my 748 frame up I should...
several plugs have 2 prongs and similar connector, one is side stand switch, often bypassed.

I think the one on the right is a Rear brake light switch, Purple wire.

One on the left might be neutral light switch,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off the top of my head I don't remember, even though having rebuilt my 748 frame up I should...
several plugs have 2 prongs and similar connector, one is side stand switch, often bypassed.

I think the one on the right is a Rear brake light switch, Purple wire.

One on the left might be neutral light switch,
Thanks Dmitry, the 1999 748S schematic shows the side stand switch, but 1998 does not and the green/brown-white is in neither schematic. If I knew the green/ brown-white was the side stand I'd bypass it. When I get to final assembly I'll test the theory. The rear brake purple wire makes sense, but where does it go into the harness?
Best, Derek

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Thanks Dmitry, the 1999 748S schematic shows the side stand switch, but 1998 does not and the green/brown-white is in neither schematic. If I knew the green/ brown-white was the side stand I'd bypass it. When I get to final assembly I'll test the theory. The rear brake purple wire makes sense, but where does it go into the harness?
Best, Derek
Early bikes are different, mainly the charging system, in 99(?) they went to full stator with 3 wires rather than half (1/3?) and 2 yellow wires, those are more prone to melting, although 3 wire stators also fail sometimes, mostly due to corrosion in the plug.

I have a 2001 here (in storage) and I know it's gonna be different from your 98, not sure if digging it up will help. Also I believe there was one dummy plug that was not connected to anything, it may be that... Other than that on the left you only have water temp (single wire) fan switch (different plug with metal clip) and crank sensor.

Checked my Multistrada and it has purple brake switch wire on the right, also it has 3 wire side stand switch on the left going in to 3 wire plug but only 2 are used on the harness side

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Redneck electrician says: jam a jumper wire in there and see if a fuse blows. Gotta be a protected circuit/input to ecu. Then again, ACME Inc takes no responsibility to fires started nor ARC FLASH incidents for advice given over public forums...........

Some kewl shit you got goin on.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I think you’re not getting the exposure on this thread to people who will know the answer. Do another thread in the Superbike section and name it “748s wiring problem” for more responses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts