Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my name is Gerry, and I'm from Jacksonville, FL. I'm 59, and have been riding since I was 10. Have owned dozens of bikes (both dirt and street), but my soon-to-be new-to-me '06 ST3s will be my first Ducati. Should be getting it next week, and I can't wait!

Besides riding, I enjoy doing my own maintenance, repairs and upgrades, and am really looking forward to getting to know this new machine! Also looking forward to learning from the collective wisdom of all you experienced ST owners on the site.

See you in the forums!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Gerry, welcome to the forum. I have owned a 06 ST3 since... well, 06, and I love the bike. I'm on the other side of the country (WA state). See you around!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Gerry you're going to love your ST. I'm just south of you (Vero Beach). I do most of my maintenance also, just ordered belts from desmotimes, great source check it out. Welcome to this great forum it's saved my butt more than once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the warm welcome, guys! Real friendly place you've got here. Thanks for the desmotimes recommendation, Dan. I've bookmarked it just now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Remember to post pictures when you get your ST or it didn't happen

Reactions: pmaggiani

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice looking ST! Looks gorgeous in red. It also appears to be in very good shape. How many miles does it have?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I think it's gorgeous, too! :grin2: It has 19,006 miles on the clock. It does seem to be in excellent shape, though there is quite a bit of light cosmetic damage that the dealer didn't tell me about... I was told that it was a one-owner bike, and that the only blemish on the bodywork was a scratched area on the lower right-side fairing (the part that juts out the farthest). I have since learned, after contacting the previous owner, that he was actually the second owner. Also, close inspection revealed that the bike has apparently been dropped on both sides at some point in its life, though it does appear to have been from a standstill. The scratches (to the mirror housings, bar ends, front brake and clutch lever tips, bags, and on the right side, the muffler and that lower fairing) are all relatively minor, and some have been touched up. The worst thing, though, is that both the right and left-side upper fairings also have a very small stress crack at the very top, where they attach to the headlight fairing. The thing is, the bike is absolutely gorgeous from just a few feet away, and most of the plastic looks absolutely like brand new, so you'd hardly think to look closer.

The dealer has been great throughout the purchase process. It's a small, family-owned dealership, and I have been dealing directly with the owner. He noticed (and sent me photos of) the right lower fairing scratches during our initial negotiations, which all took place over the phone since we are in different states. Then, on the day the bike was to be shipped, he noticed the cracked upper fairings for the first time. It was just as the shipper was getting ready to load up the bike, and the owner was very upset (to put it mildly) to have not noticed this before! He felt terrible about this, of course, and about the rest of the damage that I've uncovered since receiving the bike, and has promised to do whatever it takes to make me a happy customer.

I know what you're probably thinking, but I'm convinced that this guy is honest and simply didn't notice all the damage. As my wife would confirm, I'm a very anal kind of guy, and I notice things that 99% of folks wouldn't notice. To the owner's credit (and this also goes to demonstrate his integrity), he noticed, during our negotiations, that both the forks and the rear shock were leaking, so he rebuilt them all for me, absorbed that cost, and did not change his asking price. Pretty cool. I'm expecting that we'll be able to settle up for this cosmetic damage in a way that will be fair to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts