Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My name is Damon, I live in North Canterbury- which is in the South Island of New Zealand.
I have just recently purchased a 1200s Monster which to date since owning was going well until yesterday when I was out on a run and out of nowhere the bike shut down with all warning lights etc going on dash.
Coasted to side of road and engine light, etc, all was displayed. Temperature was good, turned off ignition. Turned on again and all warnings and lights were gone and all the dash was as should be. Pulled away and realised bike had limited power and seemed to be in a limp home mode with limiting revs. Nothing showing or advising of this on the dash.
Travelled a few kms up the road and pulled over and shut bike down again, a little concerned. Got off and just checked over machine to make sure there was nothing leaking or obvious. All seemed well, ( apart from lack of power), turned ignition on and fired up, all good, again no warnings or anything unusual, took off and bike was back to normal with all horsepower again. Got home, checked over, all seems good, went for another quick 30 km run up the road and all seems ok with plenty of life back in bike.
Is this just a random glitch, or something common with these.
I have read of similar stories, with Throttle sensors and fuses etc being at fault.
Will take into dealership and see if they can plug into and pick up if there was any faults showing, Electrical or mechanical.
My trust and faith in bike has been broken.
Want to use for travelling and big runs, and a little concerned this could happen at a time when i want power and if the situation was different to as I was in could result as being dangerous.
Hopefully nothing to concerning.
Any similar stories or advise welcome.
Cheers
Damo ?

·
Administrator
12,892 Posts
Hey Damon I am going to copy this thread to the Monster forum so you will have more eyeballs on it and a better chance to get some advise....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My 2014 Monster 1200 had a similar issue, diagnosed as a bad TPS. That part was replaced by one form ebay. Tech also found a loose wire or 2 when the new part did not solve the issue. After that it has been fine for 4,000+ fun filled miles. IIRC, I posted about it here last year in February. FWIW. Good luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Had bike diagnosed and Throttle sensor came up as fault. It Faulted again while we were messing with throttle.
New TS on order. Hopefully that be the end of it.
Have to ask where you source your TPS from, and how much it was? I've been through a couple lately - the only one I can get from eBay (pretty cheap) lasts about 6 months of use (around 10K kms).-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had bike diagnosed and Throttle sensor came up as fault. It Faulted again while we were messing with throttle.
New TS on order. Hopefully that be the end of it.
Have to ask where you source your TPS from, and how much it was? I've been through a couple lately - the only one I can get from eBay (pretty cheap) lasts about 6 months of use (around 10K kms).-
Mechanic has ordered for me. Will find out when I get a heads up it’s arrived and get some details for you.
Suspecting this is s genuine one, and hope I get a better run out of than 6 months due to cost.
Will be asking the question when it arrives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damon1200s said:
Original Post
I live in North Canterbury- which is in the South Island of New Zealand.

my parents live in Rangiora (north Canterbury??)

I’m Just down the road 10 mins out of Rangiora.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mechanic has ordered for me. Will find out when I get a heads up it’s arrived and get some details for you.
Suspecting this is s genuine one, and hope I get a better run out of than 6 months due to cost.
Will be asking the question when it arrives.
Thanks - appreciate it. From what I've been able to understand, the only way to get a genuine TPS unit from Ducati is to buy the whole throttle assembly, which is an expensive activity.

The eBay units I've bought cost $16AUD delivered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New throttle sensor arrived and installed at last. (Genuine Ducati one).Was not cheap but didn’t want to mess with aftermarket part .Had to buy complete throttle assembly though. Bike is now running really sweet, with no probs to date. Have noticed throttle not so twitchy now and running a lot smoother in the lower revs when in traffic which is not often as Most riding is on open road. Bike is really responsive through the higher rev range and running really nice. So all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts