Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there!
i bought last year an 748 sps with 39.000 which is my first motorbike ever. used to ride my vespa px200 for some years in the past. getting old i decide its now or never to buy my dreambike (31).
so far, i enjoyed riding last season going more than 11.000 km in the past few months, doing some work myself on the bike (changed oil:grin2: and replace mono with biposto rear subframe and seat) all these just to make possible to go on a trip from Norway to Greece and back with my girlfriend. we built a rack too in a day in order to support luggages which by now is thrown to the rubbish.
really love the bike and everything about it, only thing i miss (didnt expect this to happen in less than couple of years) is power...especially with the biposto frame and the second person..
the bike is original so since winter is coming and i will not use it for the next 6-7 months, i have decided to go on with upgrades OR with a 996 motor on it.
i am not sure yet, what it should be of these 2 above... i have found some info online in order to raise a bit torque etc, install titanium exhaust, power commander and other stuff but still i am not totally sure what i should do. any suggestions on upgrading or not will be welcome. i know there are not much i can do and maybe all i get gonna will be some hp and torque but i am pretty confident i am not ready to go much further anyway... all i need is some extra power and maybe some weight reduction.
i am using the bike both for street, traveling and track.
i would love an 996r but as far as i know it would be too much for my non-experience...

i will start checking the forum about all the above but any link suggested in order to save time is welcome too.

greetings from Norway,
Andreas

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am surprised by your comments about power. Unless you are a race car driver, coming from a Vespa you should be SCARED of how much power a 748 sps has. If you can, you may want to have someone familiar with this type of motorcycle take it for a ride... something may be wrong with it, it may need a repair. Having a another rider test it for you will be much cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I am surprised by your comments about power. Unless you are a race car driver, coming from a Vespa you should be SCARED of how much power a 748 sps has. If you can, you may want to have someone familiar with this type of motorcycle take it for a ride... something may be wrong with it, it may need a repair. Having a another rider test it for you will be much cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.
thanks for the advice, i have done this and actually i have check my acceleration and top speed with modern gsxr1000 and i wouldnt say i have any kind of problems there...easy to get up to 265 and in monoposto its also quite quicker and lighter.
where i really feel underpowered is loaded with second person, not slow, but the feeling of being quite slower than alone on a mono setup is bold...
by the way, i was scared first month...but slowly i got my confidence back and i was able to drive quick (i am more about small roads with a lot of turns rather than highway and high speeds). trip through europe helped me on highspeed confidence and there i felt the lack of power with all the load on the bike.

the bike has 55mm exhaust so that i believe is one of the reasons i lack torque and middle rpms power- no chip or pc yet..

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Not for nothing but for two up riding, bigger is better as in more displacement=more torque, which is kind of lacking on a 3/4 liter bike. Probably do not want to hear it but hear it you must. For that type of riding an ST around the same year or a newer Multi would fill your bill and make 2-up riding much more enjoyable for both riders. BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't know anything about the 748 sps, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would look into maybe changing out your sprockets, maybe even just the front, to maybe a 14t if you are looking for a cheap way to get some low end power out of the engine. Especially, since you don't care about highways speeds too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not for nothing but for two up riding, bigger is better as in more displacement=more torque, which is kind of lacking on a 3/4 liter bike. Probably do not want to hear it but hear it you must. For that type of riding an ST around the same year or a newer Multi would fill your bill and make 2-up riding much more enjoyable for both riders. BTW, welcome to the forum!
i have been thinking about a st4s yes its gonna be much better for 2 persons and cruising. but still doesnt change anything, i still want that extra power!!:grin2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts