Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just wanted to reach out to the community and share a picture of my new 2012 848 EVO. I drove down to San Antonio to pick this bike up last weekend.

Trip went smooth, super cool and helpful seller. Getting tags this afternoon and hitting the open road for the first time. I test drove the bike briefly, but I can't wait to get take the bike out this evening on my own time and see what she can do.

I'm upgrading from a ninja 300, which was my first motorcycle. I have a feeling there's going to be quite a big difference!

-Dan

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Welcome Dan and congratulations on the upgrade, that is SWEET!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Dan and congratulations on the upgrade, that is SWEET!
Thanks! What an insane machine, the first real ride this evening was a red pill, this 848 absolutely glides! I feel so lucky to own this thing.

-pulls up at coffee shop
-feeling extremely cool
-everyone looks up from their coffee
-clearly they are all admiring the duc
-looking for neutral, shift to second,
-looking for neutral, shift back to first
  • still can’t find neutral, back in second
  • back to first
-toe bruised
  • kill bike in gear
  • fiddle with kickstand for 30 seconds trying to locate
  • get off duc like it never happened, proceed to order coffee

gotta love getting used to a new bike, lol.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,685 Posts
Ah, the inaugural ride to Starbucks.

BTW, neutral shouldn't be that hard to find. You might want to start with flushing the clutch fluid. And checking stack height. And checking for any leaks in the system. Is it an aftermarket slave? Possible rod length issue or bad seals. That's a start.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Once the bike is turned off, you get neutral every time. I always thought the 848 would be a fun track bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once the bike is turned off, you get neutral every time. I always thought the 848 would be a fun track bike.
I started to notice that. I also noticed that if I came to neutral while rolling to a stop it was wayyyyy easier to engage compared to after I had already stopped. It does have an aftermarket slave cylinder, so I will probably do some kind of flush/bleed to the clutch fluid like Yorik recommended.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,820 Posts
It's worth checking the clutch springs are all the same length.
Just went thru this on a Suzuki, half the springs were 2mm shorter than the others, no neutral, clutch creeping and lousy engagement.
Fitted the short ones in pairs diametrically opposed and same with the longs..result? perfect clutch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is fickle about neutral when cold but once it gets hot its fine (I mean oil is hot, not just coolant).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts