Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 748 and something strange happened a few weeks back. It was a semi cold night about 50 degrees and I started the bike. As had been the norm it was cold blooded and had to restart 2 more times. I don't know if I pushed the starter before it finished its cycle but on the 4th try I got nothing. I checked every wire and fuse and the battery is new. When I push the starter it sounds like something is getting hung up I hear the starter try to move but doesn't. I have read a lot of things like sometimes pistons reach funny place and lock and told to remove plugs rotate wheel in gear replace plugs and try. Other things said engine seized up which I find hard to believe as I had no prior problems then this. I don't mind having to into the left side crank case but just could use some direction on what to look for. Also would a bad crank sensor also do this any help you can give here in the forum would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I'm with tripod on it probably being the starter sprag. I had one die on my 999 last year, and it would make starting a real pita. She'd crank slowly, then fast, then sometimes get hung up and just plain stop cranking.

To check, you'd open up the left crank case as you suspect, and check out the sprag. Make sure it looks all neat and tidy. If any of the bits are off or look mangled, replace it. Here's a link to a guy on the aprilia forum who has some pics of his when it went out.
Starter not engaging

50F isn't nearly low enough of a temp to begin worrying about. Just make sure you have your battery fully charged. I've started mine as low as 20f.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts