Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been looking to purchase a Hypermotard for a few years now. They are kind of hard to find used.

Well I am in the position to buy a new one now. I went to the dealer yesterday, down payment in hand, and left empty handed.

I got a bit of sticker shock when he told me the out the door price of $17600 on the base bike that they list at $13400. I was expecting about $15000 all in.

So, if any of you 2020 Hyper non SP owners care to share, am I out of line or is the dealer?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah I'd say the dealer is trying to hose you man. No way you should be even over list to be honest. I mean I have a long relationship with my dealer but I'd say even a regular walk-in could prob get a few hundred bucks off. So looking back on my invoice before freight and prep I was at just under 12,900. Now add $550 for destination and $195 for prep and you're just a little over $13,600. Again that's pretty good deal but your dealer should not be very far from that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also that's before tax obviously but since every state is different figured that is kind of pointless to include. Also where are you located? Might be able to recommend a dealer if you're in NY state.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in Michigan. There is only 1 Ducati dealer here. Tax is 6% here.

Once he said the price, I lost some thinking ability and didn't ask to see the pricing breakdown to know where the price jump came from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found my paper work from 2013 when I agreed to buy a CBR1000RR, it was $13400, the same price as this Hyper. It came out to $14400 with temp tags.

·
Bon Vivant
10,828 Posts
He's hosing you for freight and prep. to be honest I never pay those fees - if the dealer wont give me sticker plus taxes I walk. often I can get 1000 or 1500 off the sticker and no fees. I NEVER pay a doc fee they can just subtract that right off the top... Go out of town if you have to - I once drove 8 hours away to get the deal I wanted.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Or step up to an SP for $14575

·
Registered
112 Posts
WOW, $4200 over MSRP is nuts. I bought my 2017 base 939 at Ducati Detroit and had a great experience. To be fair I bought it as a leftover 2017 in April of 2018 so they were willing to work with me on price. There were better deals in Ohio but I would have had to rent a trailer and go get it. I also wanted a relationship with a close dealer in case of problems--because -you know-Ducati. They have been great with parts and warranty work for me so I like them.
MSRP was $12995. I got it out the door for $12425. MI is 6% sales tax so $689 plus $550 freight plus $200 prep and $15 title. Give them a price you think is fair and see if they will work with you. Otherwise check out the other 2019's I listed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That price is nuts for a base Hyper. Local dealer's first offer OTD to me on a 2020 was $15.5 (ish). Went elsewhere cause they didn't have any 2019s left, but if they're starting that high seems like you won't be able to get somewhere more reasonable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got my leftover 2019 in April of this year for 12350 OTD with a quick shifter which im still waiting on because its apparently backordered.

Honestly bud, shop out of state and have the damn thing shipped to you. Even if it costs you 500 to have the bike shipped, you're still way below that garbage. Quite frankly, that price quote is ABSURD and offensive. They must think you're a moron....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed the sales guy I talked to for a price break down. I also emailed Fox Powersports on the first bike TimF posted. If I do not hear from either Monday morning, I will call them on my lunch break.

Thanks for the replies,
Josh

·
Registered
131 Posts
Josh,

I wouldn't bother going back to that dealer unless its the only dealer in your area that you can get service from. I would be willing to go out of my way to give someone else business. That price point is crazy. Are you 100% sure that was for a base 950 and not an SP?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I called Fox Powersports about the base model. They want $13.8k out the door. I tried offering $12.5 and just got a straight no.

Fox did send me a price break down
$11615 for the bike
$695 freight
$495 prep and set
$193 doc fee
$780 tax
$46 title

·
Registered
112 Posts
That looks reasonable to me at least. No one seems to want to engage in any bargaining right now. I was looking for a used car for my son and dealers wouldn't budge and wouldn't even give a counter offer. Ended leasing as downpayment was low and monthly was also low. Didn't really want to fix an old car if it breaks down when he is away at college anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2019 was about $1k less than that (total), and I had to pay to ship it across the country. Ducati was also offering a $750 accessory credit at the time, not sure if they still are. Check on Cycle Trader, there were about a dozen 2019s posted last I checked.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
So I called Fox Powersports about the base model. They want $13.8k out the door. I tried offering $12.5 and just got a straight no.

Fox did send me a price break down
$11615 for the bike
$695 freight
$495 prep and set
$193 doc fee
$780 tax
$46 title
$13,8k out the door seems reasonable to me, the 2020s I'm looking at on cycletrader are starting at $13600 which in most cases doesn't include all the add ons which are considerable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts