Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Wanted to introduce myself and bike.... '05 Black 999, Termi pipes and open clutch cover. The clutch is loud! I may have to slap the OE cover back on.... I'm used to Jap bikes:) And I'll be doing something about the tall-ass stock gearing. reminds me of the RC51.

Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning.

Eric

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard.

open clutch covers do take a little getting used to, give it a couple of weeks before you rush into sealing it up or even try ear plugs, the open cover helps to prolong the life of the clutch, they like the cooling.

feel free to give your impressions of your new bike and what bikes you've had previously.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Congrats!! You will love her!

After a while you can go to an aftermarket clutch and they usually are much quieter because of the tighter tolerances and fit of the parts. The sound is mostly due to the clutch pack bouncing back and forth in the basket in the tooth grooves.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Congrats, nice bike.

I didn't know that 999 base came in black.

I am not a big fan of the dry-clutch rattling either.. Like someone said before, it sounds like a chronic masturbator with change in his pockets :D Open clutch covers are "cool" looking. more prone to dirt and low-side damage compared to the OEM cover (IMO). I bought my bike with an open cover and switched to OEM cover. The termi pipes make distinctive enough noise, don't need the rattling ;)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Congrats, nice bike.

I didn't know that 999 base came in black.

I am not a big fan of the dry-clutch rattling either.. Like someone said before, it sounds like a chronic masturbator with change in his pockets :D Open clutch covers are "cool" looking. more prone to dirt and low-side damage compared to the OEM cover (IMO). I bought my bike with an open cover and switched to OEM cover. The termi pipes make distinctive enough noise, don't need the rattling ;)
The 999 base came in black and red, and red mono.
Before we know it this thread will be about the sound of the clutch instead of new guys bike! Haha, oh well, such is a forum. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've read about the benefits of the open cover. We'll see, maybe I just need time. The Termis sound great though!

Prior to this bike, I've owed a TLR, 2 RC51s and a CBR1000RR.

It should be obvious that I like big twins:) So far, the bike feels pretty good. Maybe not quite the punch as a modified RC, but then again with the uber-tall gearing it is hard to tell. Initial turn-in is a bit heavy as well, although that is certainly something I'm used to. The motor is very smooth though and the bike feels fairly nimble and very thin. Me likey.

I do, however, look forward to the short maint intervals as I enjoy wrenching on my own vehicles. I need to get a service manual.

My first question is where to find a passenger seat "cap" that sits in place of the second seat? It seems that everyone goes crazy with the full-blown mono-conversion but is there a simpler way?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Before we know it this thread will be about the sound of the clutch instead of new guys bike! Haha, oh well, such is a forum. :D
We didn't have this month's quota of Clutch cover/oil threads... I am just helping the community :D

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Yeah, I've read about the benefits of the open cover. We'll see, maybe I just need time. The Termis sound great though!

Prior to this bike, I've owed a TLR, 2 RC51s and a CBR1000RR.

It should be obvious that I like big twins:) So far, the bike feels pretty good. Maybe not quite the punch as a modified RC, but then again with the uber-tall gearing it is hard to tell. Initial turn-in is a bit heavy as well, although that is certainly something I'm used to.

I do, however, look forward to the short maint intervals as I enjoy wrenching on my own vehicles. I need to get a service manual.

My first question is where to find a passenger seat "cap" that sits in place of the second seat? It seems that everyone goes crazy with the full-blown mono-conversion but is there a simpler way?
Part number: 96965803B
http://www.store.commoto.com/product_info.php?products_id=29288

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks man that was fast! And that looks like an OEM part... very nice!

Although I must admit... the 'S' and 'R' tail sections look pretty damn sexay!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Wow thanks man that was fast! And that looks like an OEM part... very nice!
It is. It is a Ducati Performance part, from the factory performance division.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Added pic on first page.

Next question: is there a manual idle speed adjuster? It idles at 1250 but it seems like it's about to stall at times, although it hasen't yet.

I've also got to get the sag set right and may need softer springs as I'm only 160lbs....

·
Registered
857 Posts
Added pic on first page.

Next question: is there a manual idle speed adjuster? It idles at 1250 but it seems like it's about to stall at times, although it hasen't yet.

I've also got to get the sag set right and may need softer springs as I'm only 160lbs....
1250 is the correct idle. I wish mine idled at 1250 :p

There is no simple way to adjust idle... You have to get the air-box off, and all that holy-$hit process that goes with it. A dealer would be a good option here, although I think 1250 shouldn't be a problem when the engine is warm enough. Use the cold idle lever when u first start-up.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I find that the bike needs to be completely warmed up (165 f or so) before the idle completely settles.

Setting the idle speed is a multiple step process that is a bit complicated. I have only seen it done with a computer connected to the data acquisition system on the bike, but there may be a method for a backyard mechanic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts