Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ducatista,

I am new to the forum and currently living in the Atlanta area. I have wanted a Ducati Hypermotard for a long time and now I am ready to pull the trigger.

If you have any advice, please feel free to share! I have not had a chance to ride one, but I am going to research some local dealers and see if this can be arranged.

I come from a 15 year professional racing background from open wheel and GT cars. Also, I have been the lead instructor for a few major sports car brands. I am not looking to replicate those skills, but I am hoping to get some advanced training in to become a safer street rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
a) How much motorcycle experience do you have? You don't mention any. This isn't a good choice for a first bike.

b) The aircooled HM1100 is the most fun bike I've ever ridden. If/when I replace my M900 Monster, it's a very strong contender on my list.

c) The newer liquid-cooled HM models are faster, more livable, and probably better bikes overall, but to me lack the raw fun (i.e. mountain of torque) that the 1100's had. Nonetheless, fine machines, and I know several happy owners of them.

Ducati dealers are generally pretty good about demo bikes and testrides (assuming you're properly licensed and insured, over 25, have decent riding gear, etc.).

General advice -- Ducatis like to be maintained properly, and don't like to be left sitting unused for long periods. Ride it a lot, maintain it at least roughly on schedule, put some thought into any modifications you plan to make, and you'll likely have a great experience. Having a good dealer/shop, and a good relationship with that dealer/shop, also makes for a better experience.

PhilB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a) How much motorcycle experience do you have? You don't mention any. This isn't a good choice for a first bike.

b) The aircooled HM1100 is the most fun bike I've ever ridden. If/when I replace my M900 Monster, it's a very strong contender on my list.

c) The newer liquid-cooled HM models are faster, more livable, and probably better bikes overall, but to me lack the raw fun (i.e. mountain of torque) that the 1100's had. Nonetheless, fine machines, and I know several happy owners of them.

Ducati dealers are generally pretty good about demo bikes and testrides (assuming you're properly licensed and insured, over 25, have decent riding gear, etc.).

General advice -- Ducatis like to be maintained properly, and don't like to be left sitting unused for long periods. Ride it a lot, maintain it at least roughly on schedule, put some thought into any modifications you plan to make, and you'll likely have a great experience. Having a good dealer/shop, and a good relationship with that dealer/shop, also makes for a better experience.

PhilB

Thank you for the insight, I sincerely appreciate it!

I had a GSXR600 that I sold three years ago, but I haven't ridden a Motard. Regardless, I'm a very cautious rider and I want to take more advanced classes. Will definitely be taking it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thank you for the insight, I sincerely appreciate it!

I had a GSXR600 that I sold three years ago, but I haven't ridden a Motard. Regardless, I'm a very cautious rider and I want to take more advanced classes. Will definitely be taking it easy.
Okay, good. Take it easy as your skills will be rusty, but if you have successfully handled a GSXR600, the MH won't be overwhelming.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's probably a good choice. It won't have the top end your GSXR had, but has enough torque and power to be a lot of fun.

It's got enough miles to not have been sitting for years. Ask about how it has been stored (for winters, etc.), though. Check if scheduled services have been done. It's old enough that if the cambelts are original, they should be changed. Other than that, just the same things you'd look for on any used bike.

These early HMs come with a smallish gas tank (3.3 gallons IIRC) which limits their range. That matters to some people, and not to others. If a long riding range is important to you, CA Cycleworks makes a 6-gallon tank for it.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
334, drive up to Morganton this weekend (or anytime) and you can ride mine. I'm betting you'll like it. It is a very versatile bike and like #2 said, it is a fun bike to ride, even after years of ownership. I bought mine new in '08 and it is like a first date every time we go out. Check out my report below and you can see the versatility in action. Best wishes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Hyperstrada 821. I think you will find the Motard style bike easier to ride that your GSX-R. The big bars and upright seating just makes it a blast to ride. I haven't ridden the 796 Motard but I did have a 796 Monster and I thought the motor was great. Good luck, I'm also in Atlanta and have been racing (Cars and Karts) since the 90's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts