Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my Road Star Warrior and R1 and looking to purchase a one bike solution, I've been looking at the Yamaha Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW 1200GS as well as the Multistrada. I filtered it down to the Tenere and the Multistrada and visited a local dealer that stocks both for a tire kicking. They had a touring in racing titanium on the floor and I was really impressed with it, most of the comparison reviews I read really didn't get into the electronics (suspension and engine management) that the dealer showed me.

So home I go and start looking around and there are a lot of complaints about the rear shock and the DES preload error, is this something I should be concerned with or was it an initial production problem? Also some reports of false neutrals with the transmission and read brake overheating. I know this is the interwebs and things tend to look worse than they are but alarming just the same.

Can you mount the touring cases to a 1200 model with the Sachs suspension and avoid the electronic suspension altogether? Thanks for any answers and advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go with the electronic's

Go with the electronic suspension it really is amazing at how you can customize the ride to suit different conditions i.e. urban for around town it just soaks up the city streets bumps manhole covers train tracks etc. and then select sport with two rider to really firm up the suspension and you feel like your on a super bike. as for the errors some report mine 2012 touring s has had none of this and hopefully won't but I have two years of warranty so I'm not that concerned ( my 2011 jeep cherokee has been in the shop a dozen times for various things and it won the suv of the year) so you just pays your money and takes your chances but what a ride it is.

·
Registered
692 Posts
So home I go and start looking around and there are a lot of complaints about the rear shock and the DES preload error, is this something I should be concerned with or was it an initial production problem?
You know the internet...one guy has a problem and it's suddenly chronic. Yeh...there have been some issues but "de nada".

The side bags fit on any MTS.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Sure you can attach the panniers to the standard model.

As far as the rear shock im not sure how widespread the des issue is, generally on a forum like this its a small sample of the actual population and it seems every time i have read about it its on the 2010 year. I could be totally wrong but who knows. my experience with forums is you only hear problems and sometimes its the same source over and over again.

As far as the transmission mine works well, it was a little knotchy when it was new but now thats its broken in its nice with good feel and gear changes. I have no complaints with mine now.

The rear brake im not sure about overheating but i can say its not the best rear brake in the world, not the worst i have ever used but not the best either. I hardly ever use the thing so it doesnt bother me one bit. The front brakes are spectacular.

I own a touring with the electronic suspension and honestly its one of the best features of the bike in my opinion. I shift modes and settings all the time and it hasnt given me one minutes trouble. I do want to change the springs both front and rear but thats a prefrence thing since im a little heavier than the 180# or so rider it was setup for.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yes, you can mount bags on the standard model and avoid possible electronic problems if it worries you that much....For what it is worth, I've had my standard for 2 years without any problems (including the rear brake issue, many seem to have). I do not regret buying the standard model. I am perfectly happy with my choice it fits my "reasons for passing on extra electronics". Like Morty said, you take your chances with anything you buy. I doubt you would regret buying either version of an MTS...It is an awesome bike to ride. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Great bike.. no issues

Ive had my 2011 for a year now and like it more every time I ride it. Agree that the electronic suspension is worth it. I did a ride in the LA area yesterday where I used 3 of 4 modes. This weekend I am throwing the bags on and the wife and heading up to Santa Barbara.. I hit "touring mode" with two up and 2 bags and the whole bike transforms. I think its just an incredible machine.

Only issues for me are wind protection and rear brake.. I had the dealer do the brake "recall' ( better but not great) and as for the wind screen... well thats another story..

I would say go all in.... you wont be sorry

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would just add that the electronic suspension is Ohlins and having ridden a non-ohlins manual model there is a considerable difference in the ride - the more basic setup is 'harder/harsher' and does not float over the road, it was black and white to me...

I would say the higher quality suspension is actually the stronger reason for going for the electronic modes (which are a bonus).

bugs

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, the dealer did mention the rear brake was an active recall item but the thirteen page thread here on the rear suspention was concerning but I'm feeling better about it now with the encouraging words. What's up with the windscreen though? :confused:

One last question on a Touring S, what color? White/Red/Titanium? :) I would be all over black if it was available, I'm leaning towards white then red, the titanium is nice but kind of low key. Again thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm selling my Road Star Warrior and R1 and looking to purchase a one bike solution, I've been looking at the Yamaha Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW 1200GS as well as the Multistrada. I filtered it down to the Tenere and the Multistrada and visited a local dealer that stocks both for a tire kicking. They had a touring in racing titanium on the floor and I was really impressed with it, most of the comparison reviews I read really didn't get into the electronics (suspension and engine management) that the dealer showed me.

So home I go and start looking around and there are a lot of complaints about the rear shock and the DES preload error, is this something I should be concerned with or was it an initial production problem? Also some reports of false neutrals with the transmission and read brake overheating. I know this is the interwebs and things tend to look worse than they are but alarming just the same.

Can you mount the touring cases to a 1200 model with the Sachs suspension and avoid the electronic suspension altogether? Thanks for any answers and advice.
Get the Multistrada. It's comfortable, very sporty, and very fast. Two up riding is great. Panniers, top box work well. Get it with all the electronics, including the DES. I have a 2011 touring S. I love it. I have a few bikes and I gravitate to the Multistrada cause it is so much fun to ride :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the dealer did mention the rear brake was an active recall item but the thirteen page thread here on the rear suspention was concerning but I'm feeling better about it now with the encouraging words. What's up with the windscreen though? :confused:

One last question on a Touring S, what color? White/Red/Titanium? :) I would be all over black if it was available, I'm leaning towards white then red, the titanium is nice but kind of low key. Again thanks for the feedback.

On the color, I have a titanium. It looks nice. However, I like the red and the white. In fact, I was at the motorcycle shop yesterday and the white looked even better. While I like the titanium, I honestly got it because my wife really prefered it. Had her influence not mattered, I would have gotten red.

·
Registered
545 Posts
OP, I wouldn't too much stock in the whining on the Internet about this bike. For every one person with a problem, there are probably 15 without it, they just don't spend time posting about it. The only pervasive 'problem' with this bike, is the rear brake, which those of us who never touch the rear brake don't really care about. For the record, my rear brake works as well as a typical Duc brake, it'll hold the bike on a hill and and slow it down, but it isn't capable of really stopping the bike.

So, my only advice would be, if you're a big rear braker, find another bike.

Oh and it's a semi naked standard, not a full dress tourer. Wind protection is not superb. If you accept that you're buying a semi naked standard, rather than a full dress tourer, you'll be fine. If you expect it to feel like a Gold Wing, you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My rear brake overheat, i think it was one of a kind.
The dealer and Ducati North Europe both checked out the bike, and could not find a reason for it.
Might just have been a 5 cent rubber ring somewhere which caused it.
One of a kinds can happen.

DES preload: my 2010 model just got the same error, dealer ordered new shock. (in within a week).
The partnumber has changed from the original shock. Which might indicate that it is a newer version.
To my mind: everybody who had the DES error, got it fixed under warranty, and it did not come back. (if the error appears, you can still drive, will only not adjust the preload).

Windscreen: enough said about it. Aztec solution for standard screen, or find a screen to your liking and test drive.

I used to own Japanese bikes before (always worked).
If i need to decide today: it will for sure be the Multistrada touring S.

Very stiff motorbike, which gives you confidence in corners (same as Hayabusa stiff like chassis).
Really like the 'go faster systems': traction control, abs, drive by wire throttle, sport mode.
And transform to urban for bad road conditions.

Last but not least: i was on a trip lately with 110 motorcyclists (gs, tenere,pan european, rs,vstrom) and where did they all stood staring at, and counting their money.... Right.

Have fun! Live is short,get the max out of it and don't bother about a small risk of a problem.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I say get it since it will be the closest thing to a sport bike with touring capabilities. However, I say get the non S model. I like the options that the stock suspension has available through aftermarket better. It will save you a lot of money that you can spend on pimping out the bike like aftermarket panniers, center stand, touring visor, suspension bits, 14T sprocket, midpipe, FatDucs etc... You still get the modes which allows you to change the engine characteristics with the standard anyway.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the honesty on the color Pendulous, I'm going white I believe. The rear brake issue I was referring to was overheating destroying the caliper and rotor, apparently there is an active recall on this according to the dealer. I really prefer a weak rear break to prevent lock ups and the outcome of that.

If the windscreen complaint is coverage thats no big deal as I've never even owned a bike with a windscreen other than my R1 and that hardly counts. I'm going to put my foot in the water and hope I don't loose it, I do like the bike and the concept so I'm hoping Ohlins has updated the parts on the bike I get. The extended warranty is out for me as I do my own maintenance so I would be disqualified anyway.

Its threads like these that spooked me on the DES:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/138437-arrgh-des-pre-load-error-plus-fluid.html

and

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/134661-looks-like-im-next-des-preload-error.html

Rear brake:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
i'm with those who suggested the Standard.....get one, save some money, possible headaches, and outfit it to your liking. hec, you could even install a rear Ohlins shock if you "had to have" Ohlins but still be without potential electronic issues that have plagued some. if you buy a Sport model, be prepared to pay for an extended warranty....it will pay for itself in resale value alone me thinks.

enjoy the hunt,

·
Registered
545 Posts
i'm with those who suggested the Standard.....get one, save some money, possible headaches, and outfit it to your liking. hec, you could even install a rear Ohlins shock if you "had to have" Ohlins but still be without potential electronic issues that have plagued some. if you buy a Sport model, be prepared to pay for an extended warranty....it will pay for itself in resale value alone me thinks.

enjoy the hunt,
Pretty sure Ducati killed the extended warranty program, no?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Pretty sure Ducati killed the extended warranty program, no?
That is correct, Ducati is no longer offering the "EverRed" program (important for others to know they were not the underwriter) but another company, and a relatively high rated one, is.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Warrior

I have the white and love it. I bought my 2012 S in May. Was just as worried as you about all of the posts about problems. Mine has been trouble free. I finally realized that these forums naturally get an abundance of problems posted because its the best resource... but many of us aren't having those problems. There are two problems that we all have though... Below 3k rpm fueling issues and the windscreen. I have the fatducs O2 manipulator and that solved my issues about 95%. The screen. Might be best to just take it off.

I have three bikes and I ride the MTS by far the most. I love this bike. Best I have ever owned.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I had the standard 2010 for 13 months, and 9000+ miles. Sold and bought the Super Tenere to go to Alaska. 3 weeks and 10,006 miles, I am back from Alaska.

The yamaha is solid dependable and a lot of fun.

The MTS12 is about 50 lbs lighter, I weighed them both same day with nothing on them (farkles). UBS/ABS and TC is superb on the S10.

I would really like to figure out how to own both, probably go with the DES this time, we will see.

You can't go wrong with either bike, depends on your riding where you want to go, how much DIY work you would like to do. Yamaha is much easier to work on.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
you'll love this bike

I've had one issue with a side stand switch that killed it when put in gear, fixed under warranty, not a glitch since. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, love it more each time I ride it (6500 miles in 5 months).

I couldn't decide between red, white, or black....so went with the neapolitan version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts