Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just making my first post to get into this forum...

I was thinking of getting an Aprilia Dorso Duro for riding to work and having general fun, but I think I convinced myself to spend a little more and get a nice used Hypermotard 1100. Therefore that is why I decided to get into this forum.

I will do more reading as time allows but one big question I may ask is what are the pros/cons of going for a 2008 or 2009 Hypermotard 1100S or going for a standard 2010 1100 EVO.

I am not familiar with the Ducati engines but I seem to think the Ducati engines require more maintenance (adjustments) than the Japanese and Austrian bikes I am used to. Is the newer EVO engine have l longer valve adjustment intervals? I am a traveling contractor and don't always have great places to work on bikes. I'd like to be able to ride a full season without having to adjust valves and such. But a big question is whether or not I should really want the newer 2010 bike due to the redesigned engine.

Otherwise I think an older 1100S can be had with better suspension? Is it Ohlins front and rear on the 1100S? Does the 1100S sit higher like the EVO SP? I'd really like the taller seat height. I wonder if the standard EVO would be much more comfortable on rough roads. I don't think I'll be too picky on that but if the seat height is taller on the 1100S that is a vote in it's favor.

Looks like I can easily get a 1100S already with good exhaust.

Anyway, that is my dilema. Right now I am looking at a 2008 1100S or a 2010 1100 EVO. Of course a SP would be cool but I probably don't want to spend all that extra money. I already have a 2006 KTM 950 supermoto, but it is in MT and I don't know when I can get it to MN where I am now working until the end of 2013. The KTM is a great bike but I need some time to work on it or find a mechanic I can afford. It has aftermarket exhaust so I stripped the remaining emissions junk off of it. Ever since I have an issue that the carbs close when I am not accelerating. I guess the vacuum operated slides are closing in steady state throttle conditions. Otherwise it runs great when accelerating then runs out of fuel when cruising.

The Aprilia Dorso Duro 750 seems like a good little bike. Maybe I'll try one out which is for sale locally, but I'd be much more excited about a red Hypermotard. Especially if I get a 2008 or 2009 1100S I don't think I'll spend too much more money over the Dorso Duro.

Regards,

Greg
Home in Montana but currently working near Red Wing, MN, until end of 2013.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome, and be sure to check the classifieds here as you shop for a hyper :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts