Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just wanted to briefly introduce myself.

I'm a new owner of a 1098R with 1300 miles on it (number 262). It's been a few years since I've had a motorcycle but I used to own a 748S, 996 SPS, 998, and 998RS.

I look forward to being part of the forum and catching up on the info that I've lost over the last few years. Thanks.

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome.
Would you have pics to share of present and past bikes?
I don't think that I have any pics of the old bikes. I owned them close to 15 years ago. I do have pics of the 1098R. I'll try to upload them.

Attachments

Reactions: HyperJB

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you, guys. I appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new to you bike. I think mine is #340.
Awesome. I would love to hear your impressions on your ownership experience.

I have only ridden mine once and then I sent it off to Boulder Motorsports to have all the fluids changed (and they changed the belts too) and now I'll start riding it properly. I should get it back on monday. It might take me a little while to get back in the swing of things but I'm excited to ride it when I have the chance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome, I bought mine brand new #95/450 sold it after 3 years kept the plaque/picture had to wait for a couple months to get it. lovely bike but next time I buy such an expensive toy I'll let someone else take the initial hit though lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, I bought mine brand new #95/450 sold it after 3 years kept the plaque/picture had to wait for a couple months to get it. lovely bike but next time I buy such an expensive toy I'll let someone else take the initial hit though lol.
Haha. I hear that loud and clear. The one bummer is that I've basically had to drop a bunch of money right off the bat to get it ready to ride. It's sat for years. Still, though, it's not like it equals the initial depreciation. As I said, I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it. It's quite the machine.

·
Registered
938 Posts

Picked mine up about a month ago and have only put about 1K miles on it. No service yet, but I don't expect it to be much different than the 1098S it replaced for me. Most likely more beastly than what you've owned in the past. Markedly more beastly than the 1098S I owned as well as my 999R. The last of the trellis framed Ducati superbikes and pretty special. Nothing like the 1X99 that followed (got an 1199S too).

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Picked mine up about a month ago and have only put about 1K miles on it. No service yet, but I don't expect it to be much different than the 1098S it replaced for me. Most likely more beastly than what you've owned in the past. Markedly more beastly than the 1098S I owned as well as my 999R. The last of the trellis framed Ducati superbikes and pretty special. Nothing like the 1X99 that followed (got an 1199S too).
That's kind of what I'm thinking. It's not actually broken in yet and needed everything replaced as far as fluids and belts so I've been gentle with it yet I feel like it's the most maniacal machine in my garage by far and way more than my old bikes. Even the 998RS seemed tame by comparison in just the few miles I've done so far.

G

·
Are you the same Sherpa23 from Ferrarichat? If yes, I go by M5guy over there. Used to have that username here too but now I had to re-register as GWTURBOS, my Rennlist handle.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you the same Sherpa23 from Ferrarichat? If yes, I go by M5guy over there. Used to have that username here too but now I had to re-register as GWTURBOS, my Rennlist handle.
Yes. I used to be Sherpa23 here too?(years ago) but something got messed up and now I have to rejoin as Sherpa23F.

Don't you live in California and have a 355? Or is that someone else?

G

·
Yes, that's me. It's the Rosso Barchetta 97 355B with the bronze wheels. Small world isn't it! I had the same registration problem with this site and had to set up a new account too. I'm back here because a 1993 900SS Superlight joined my garage earlier this month. Hope you enjoy your new bike too.

-Greg

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that's me. It's the Rosso Barchetta 97 355B with the bronze wheels. Small world isn't it! I had the same registration problem with this site and had to set up a new account too. I'm back here because a 1993 900SS Superlight joined my garage earlier this month. Hope you enjoy your new bike too.

-Greg
glad to know my memory still works, even if my old user account here doesn't. Enjoy your 900SS. A friend had one back in the day and thought was really neat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There was a factory recall on the voltage regulator, with that few miles you might want to make sure it got done, I was in line to have mine replaced when it fried. if I remember right there was a chance they would catch fire, mine just burnt up and started smoking while riding. One thing you will notice about the bike is they will cook your nuts, thighs, etc when the weather warms up they get down right uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a factory recall on the voltage regulator, with that few miles you might want to make sure it got done, I was in line to have mine replaced when it fried. if I remember right there was a chance they would catch fire, mine just burnt up and started smoking while riding. One thing you will notice about the bike is they will cook your nuts, thighs, etc when the weather warms up they get down right uncomfortable.
Thank you! That is some great information. When I go get it tomorrow from boulder Motorsports ill see if I can learn anything about the voltage regulator.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked it up from Boulder Motorsports today and got a good 60 miles taking it home via the long way. What an incredible bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small update:
Been enjoying the 1098R so much I decided to add an 1199 Superleggera. Put a deposit on one yesterday and should see it relatively soon. Once again, thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 1098R

Hello -

I'm new to the thread.
Just picked up a 1098R with less than a 1000 miles on it over the weekend. I have a 2001 748 since new but the R is a totally different animal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts