Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I finally got around to installing my lovely Mack exhaust hangers, and monoposto footrests, all to get rid of the ugly Biposto heavy black triangle combi-brackets. As well as being ugly, they are cheap cast metal, and extremely heavy.

Thanks to JC for the Mack hangers - very expensive, but easier that getting some made up as a custom job, and I'm satisfied that I paid premium bucks for them, despite my reservations...

...but I made up for the big-spending by replacing the footrests with some aftermarket items made for an ss900 and then sourcing the missing master cylinder bracket & bits from a breakers yard in the Netherlands. (Great 24 hour service BTW).

It wasn't all about the cost though. The Aella, Woodcraft and Sato rearsets are extremely gorgeous, but they are also over designed and overcomplicated for my personal vision; where I want to simplify the sport classic and take it back to a little closer to it's 1970s roots, so blingy adjustable footrests were simply more than I needed.

The bits took a while to assemble (mostly waiting for shipping & customs), but I'm very happy with the result, and the footrests and extras only cost me a couple of hundred dollars in total.

Anyway, enough chat, here are the results.

BEFORE:

AFTER (Sorry for the crap iPhone pics):

And yes, I will shorten the brake hose asap.

It was a cosmetic mod more than anything, but after moving the battery to under the seat, it seemed a shame to cover those clean lines in the subframe with those nasty biposto hangers and cheapo footrests. The weight saving is a bonus though. Next up I will remove the battery-box lugs, etc, so - no going back!

·
Registered
592 Posts
While your on cosmetics, consider those wires going across your belt covers in pic 1. The starter cable and oil temperature cable, both can be rerouted, the starter to the other side of the cylinder head and the oil temp around the clutch casing and discretely up the vertical belt cover, you'll need to split the shrinkwrap that hold them together for a bit but the wires are easily rerouted after this.
That leaves only your oil line and pressure wire on that side.:)

The only one I haven't sorted myself is the pressure wire, but I'll consider that soon.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reminder dude. I had intended to do this at some point - as well as to use an oil hose from the Hypermotard, which goes around the other side of the cylinder...

Also, now I look at these pics, the wires hanging above my fuel pump could do with some re-securing to the frame...

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
How do you find the changed riding position? Do you still have the stock clip-ons?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Looks great! As for your rear brake line, you could just re-route it over the swing arm and invert the banjo connection. Looks like you have enough slack.

:)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I still have the stock clipons, and the riding position seems fine. I wanted a little more ground clearance for track days, as I wore down my righthand footpeg, so being a bit more tucked up was one of my goals. It's only about 1inch up and back though, so not exactly a radical change.

I'll know over longer rides if my thighs are working harder, but it's gonna be the same as any monoposto with the Biposto risers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks great man.

Im also after a set of OEM Mono rearsets but it looks like its going to be
harder than i thought lol.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was originally looking for Mono OEM footrests and brackets, but had no luck in the UK (although I think JC may have some somewhere). The US generally has a wider choice of SC parts on US ebay. Also, some models years of ss900 should be the same, but look carefully at the spec.

The footrests I now have are from a guy on ebay and made for both the ss900 and SC1000, but I bought them several months ago so they have dropped off my purchase history, ...but there may be a link to the source in one of my previous posts about "Mono foorests on a Biposto"... or maybe about "adapting two Mono zorts hangers for a Bip"...

Anyway, the quality is certainly as good as, or better than OEM. The only issue, as I mentioned, was getting some extra fixing bolts, and using the lever and M/C bracket from an ss900.

But overall it was pretty easy to sort everything, the only issue was a really bad service from USPS, who took weeks to deliver the hangers.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
looks great dutch!

fwiw - i've run without an oil cooler on the blue sport (+17,000 miles) and no problems. she runs at around 240 degrees F on a hard ride in hot weather. 43 is also running w/out the cooler and is doing just fine. i personally think these motors are overcooled, as with the cooler on sometimes i would do a short ride into town or even commute to work and never have it fully warm up.

there's a little diverter plate you remove from underneath the oil filter then just plug the holes with sst bolts and you're done. you can then switch the valve covers front/rear so the sensor and wires are up top under the tank and the front looks nice and clean.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
looks great dutch!

fwiw - i've run without an oil cooler on the blue sport (+17,000 miles) and no problems. she runs at around 240 degrees F on a hard ride in hot weather. 43 is also running w/out the cooler and is doing just fine. i personally think these motors are overcooled, as with the cooler on sometimes i would do a short ride into town or even commute to work and never have it fully warm up.

there's a little diverter plate you remove from underneath the oil filter then just plug the holes with sst bolts and you're done. you can then switch the valve covers front/rear so the sensor and wires are up top under the tank and the front looks nice and clean.
That sounds cosmetically very tempting, and if I was gonna trust advice from anyone on this, it would be you... although running a bike in summer London rushhour, in narrow streets with stop-start traffic, tests the engine cooling of any vehicle to extremes.

My wife's Buell used to get so hot that it was almost impossible to ride in town when it was over 25 degrees C...

...Good food for thought though! I'd love to strip even more weight and bits off the bike. Am now looking into alternative clocks.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
here's a simple test: take one line off the oil cooler and loop it back into the motor (same fittings both ends) and ride it in traffic and keep an eye on your temp gauge.

yes, it will run hotter, but shouldn't get anywhere near the danger zone - i believe the light is set to come on somewhere above 310 degrees F. if it gets too hot just re-connect the line.

the highest i've ever seen on my bike was 305 degrees F - and that was riding two-up through dirt roads (5-10mph up steep grades) in the mountains in the middle of august. i don't know about the buell cooling system, but i've seen plenty of stopped traffic in hot weather and never had a problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks good! I found the higher foot peg position to be much more comfortable. If you want higher foot pegs, SS rearsets are a tad higher and will bolt right on.

PS/mono on left, SS on right

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a useful pic. Thanks.

When I was looking for SS OEM pegs it was hard to get a handle on which year/model was a direct bolt-on to the SC frame. Can you just confirm for me?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
LD,

Do you lose access to the engine case "through-hole" with the brake master? Can't tell from the angle.

I have an Anderson Stand that I like using; not sure if ditching BBT would also losing the stand as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks great Dutch. Would love to lose my battery under the seat and those triangle foot rests for something that looks good on the GT.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
LD,

Do you lose access to the engine case "through-hole" with the brake master? Can't tell from the angle.

I have an Anderson Stand that I like using; not sure if ditching BBT would also losing the stand as well.
Hey dude, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the through-hole. If you can explain better I'll take a look for you.

If it helps, the MC bracket I'm now using is the same for 90% of all Ducatis of the same period, so if your stand works with a 900ss, then it'll still work with this setup.

Looks great Dutch. Would love to lose my battery under the seat and those triangle foot rests for something that looks good on the GT.
Unless I'm missing something, the GT hangers look exactly the same as the Biposto, and so are the battery relocation issues... Go for it.

One piece of advice though - if I did this again I would have looked longer and harder for some 1998 SS footrests and controls, as I am now going back to using a monoposto OEM gear lever to replace the short and uncomfortable aftermarket lever that came with my footrest kit (1 inch shorter and no rubber). ...Luckily I've found a perfect one for less than $40.

[edit] Just found the link to my $240 rearsets, for anyone who can't find Mono or SS ones. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-SS-99-Sport-Classic-Rearsets-Billet-rear-pegs-/190527145695?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c5c4d86df

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Someone asked me if the Biposto kickstand (spring on the outside) is now in the way of my Mono footrests or controls, and the basic answer is No, but, I can touch it with my toes, so if I can find a second hand mono or SS kickstand with an inside spring for the right price I will probably get it.

If anyone knows what models/years fit I'd be grateful to know.

I found this selection of kickstands on the same ebay shop where I got my M/C bracket http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ducatiparts-online/_i.html?_nkw=sidestand&submit=Search&_sid=696335740

...would be good if I can upgrade from steel to alu too.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Hey dude, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the through-hole. If you can explain better I'll take a look for you.

The bottom/back of the engine casing, there is a threaded-end the goes straight through. Just wondering if it is blocked by the rear brake?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey dude. Wow your bike is cleeeeeeeaaaaan.!!!

You can see the thru-hole, but it's slightly fouled by the bracket and M/C

It should be exactly the same as on a mono or PS though, so if these stands work on those models too, you should be ok.?

If not, you could always file a shallow groove in the M/C bracket.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts