Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

First time bike owner. Took the motorcycle safety foundation class about 2 years ago and have been looking for a bike since. But apparently geico likes to go in dry with their insurance if you are financing the bike (they wanted ~375 a month on a used yamaha fz07, clean driving record for the past 8 years)

So I spent the time saving some cash and sitting on different bikes.

Friend of a friend was selling their 2002 Ducati Monster 620 IE dark, and I jumped on it.

~3500 miles on it, freshly serviced, new tires and clean as a whistle, for 3k even. No disappointment from me, the thing is a blast to ride. And due to a defect in my right ankle, its one of the few bikes I've been on where I can comfortably hit the rear brake without having to move my whole hip / knee to make it work.

Only downside is it didn't come with red key or key card. :( So obviously I want to figure out how to fix that. Anyone have links, or companies they can recommend to remedy this, I would appreciate them.

Once I get some pictures on my computer I'll upload them.

One other downside is I bought the bike at the end of the season. I only got 2 days of riding before it got cold and crappy. Now I have to wait for one of those freak 70 degree winter days to go for a ride lol

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,370 Posts
Welcome to the 2-wheel world.

You can have a black key cloned by any competent locksmith. It uses the same encoding technology as GM cars and trucks. If you need a generic blank, you can buy one cheap from lockpicks.com so the missing red key isn't an issue. The code card is another story. They are not replaceable. Period. If this is a worry, you should have the immobilizer deactivated. You can do this yourself with the proper software and cables or send the ECU out to have it done.

Please fill in your location info in your profile.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks and enjoy the site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the 2-wheel world.

You can have a black key cloned by any competent locksmith. It uses the same encoding technology as GM cars and trucks. If you need a generic blank, you can buy one cheap from lockpicks.com so the missing red key isn't an issue. The code card is another story. They are not replaceable. Period. If this is a worry, you should have the immobilizer deactivated. You can do this yourself with the proper software and cables or send the ECU out to have it done.

Please fill in your location info in your profile.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks and enjoy the site.
The lack of redkey / key card is what makes me worry about the immobilizer. But good to know I don't need to have the red key to get a few new keys cut! I'll definitely have to get that taken care of before next riding season

I will have to figure out the search to find a company to disable the immobilizer. Peace of mind if nothing else

1 - 3 of 3 Posts