Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peoples
I really need some help about how many kilowatts a ducati 600 puts out / tonne see the new law works the ratio out at how many kilowatts /tonne.I rang the the rider safe place and they said if i write a letter to licensing head office with bike stats i may be able to ride my duke on my r-date licence depending on power to weight ratio,but i dont have a clue how to work it out any help would be appreciated thanks
robbo

·
Registered
733 Posts
Tricky question. Here in Tasmania the law is 250cc - haven't got power to weight yet. Have heard that the 620ie motors can be dealer detuned to get into the power to weight range for learners. Only info I have for 91/97 600SS is 172Kg dry weight. Most quotes for dry weight are a bit iffy and if you could get it heavier, say a print-out from a registered weigh bridge, it might be very handy.

Frasers have been into Ducati for just about forever so they may be able to help out.

http://www.frasermotorcycles.com.au/Ver05/fm_contact.php

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
Ducati 600 Desmodue

Weight ~ 175 Kg (385 lbs) (Ducati Monster 600 1996)
Hp ~ 53hp (38,7 kw)
Power to weight ratio: 0,3029 hp/Kg (0,22114 KW/Kg)

The 600 can easily be restricted to 34 hp (25 kw) to conform to "medium" license holders.
Power to weight AFTER REDUCTION: 0,1942857 hp/kg (0,1428571 KW/Kg)

Simply take the KW or HP and divide by the kg = the ratio. Quite simple.
Example 53 hp / 175 kg = 0,3029

That should be enough for an applicatio i guess. Or simply ring them up and ask what figures they need and how to do there specific calculation. That shouldn´t be too hard.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,343 Posts
Hey peoples
I really need some help about how many kilowatts a ducati 600 puts out / tonne see the new law works the ratio out at how many kilowatts /tonne.I rang the the rider safe place and they said if i write a letter to licensing head office with bike stats i may be able to ride my duke on my r-date licence depending on power to weight ratio,but i dont have a clue how to work it out any help would be appreciated thanks
robbo
From the R-date term, I guess you are in South Australia. This is a link to the SA Govt. web site where they list learner approved bikes. Scroll down to Ducati.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transp...ling/Motorcycles/Learner+approved+motorcycles

This is a link to the NSW RTA web site where they provide year data for various models. Dunno, but maybe it is the same in SA as NSW. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/lams_list_091204.pdf

Richard

·
Registered
74 Posts
As an American, I would love to make fun of these laws, and declare Australia a 'nanny state', and move on like we smug Yankee bastards are prone to do.

Sadly, the number of young men who lose their lives or end up horribly maimed on sport bikes in this country is horrific. An 18 year old with only a learners permit can walk into any dealership and drive off with a 1000cc superbike. Stories of young men killing themselves their first day are not at all uncommon. :(

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,343 Posts
As an American, I would love to make fun of these laws, and declare Australia a 'nanny state', and move on like we smug Yankee bastards are prone to do.

Sadly, the number of young men who lose their lives or end up horrible maimed on sport bikes in this country is horrific. An 18 year old with only a learners permit can walk into any dealership and drive off with a 1000cc superbike. Stories of young men killing themselves their first day are not at all uncommon. :(
When I got my bike licence in the UK some 35 years ago, it was ride around the block and if you made it back, you got it.

My daughter recently got her Ls and her first bike. Now with the Dad hat on, I am pleased that it is more stringent now and there is scope for more training.

We went for a ride recently and I pulled over and said " I never thought I would say this to one of my kids, but you need to ride faster!"

Next birthday present will be a training day at Eastern Creek, NSW, Australia.

Richard

PS - not criticising the US, but you almost have to sit at the right hand of God to get a gun licence here. Again quite pleased, but dick heads still get them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're right Punch, there will always be dick heads who get through.
As responsible firearms user in both the UK and NZ I seriously wonder at times how some obvioulsy thick and dodgy people ever get past the cops.

When I did my bike licence in NZ getting on for 25 years ago the only way you could get a full licence any faster was by doing a defensive riding course. Now back then I fancied myself a bit of a Mick Dohan and rode accordingly. but when in traffic/ town etc the riding course has saved my skin (literally) more then once. And the great thing is, hopping back on a bike after many years in the frozen north of Scotland I still find myself doing what I learned all those years ago.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting approach you have down there - I like it. As DD states above, here in the states it is far different. Laws vary by state but, essentially, any zit-faced kid with a wad of cash (or our all too easily obtained credit, but that's a story for another day) can meander into his or her local bike emporium and ride out the very same day on the bike of their choice. Anything. Yikes...

To make matters worse, our licensing "test" here in Washington consists of riding around orange cones in first gear in a parking lot, trying not to hit too many of them. When I obtained my license (mid '70's) it was all too common for a group of guys to get together and borrow or rent a scooter for this and take turns on it. Then they would ride off into the sunset on their H2's, Z1's, CB750's, and all manner of superbike of the day. I thought they were nuts then, and we laugh at the performance of those once intimidating machines today.

After the abuses of those days, we instituted a graduated license scheme here in Washington; up to 250, 250 to 500, 500 to 750, and 750 and above (I actually took my test on a 1000cc Sportster, so I was "grandfathered in" to the highest class). The motorcycle dealers raised hell - couldn't sell those cheap and insanely fast 600's to the kids anymore. Alas, such is the power of money and lobbies over common sense - the dealers won, the graduated scheme disappeared, and we hear the sad tales of young people (and some older folks just getting into riding) getting in over their heads. It's too bad. I wish we could follow your example up here.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Proud Dad!

When I got my bike licence in the UK some 35 years ago, it was ride around the block and if you made it back, you got it.

My daughter recently got her Ls and her first bike. Now with the Dad hat on, I am pleased that it is more stringent now and there is scope for more training.

We went for a ride recently and I pulled over and said " I never thought I would say this to one of my kids, but you need to ride faster!"

Next birthday present will be a training day at Eastern Creek, NSW, Australia.

Richard

PS - not criticising the US, but you almost have to sit at the right hand of God to get a gun licence here. Again quite pleased, but dick heads still get them.
Your a Good Dad!

They have been kicking the Laws around here in the states with the rapid growth in bike owners.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts

Sadly, the number of young men who lose their lives or end up horribly maimed on sport bikes in this country is horrific. An 18 year old with only a learners permit can walk into any dealership and drive off with a 1000cc superbike. Stories of young men killing themselves their first day are not at all uncommon. :(

Remember back in the day when Kaw 900 Z1 killed many of young people!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The tests her in WA are a soso situation.

The new riders are tested on passing the test, which has little relevance to driving in modern traffic.
still cone work and head movement plus lowspeed control of bike
Restricted bike license test here means 250cc max for 12mnds.
Blanket rule!

More specific training based on every day traffic dangers and defencive ridding with a visit or 2 to a rehab ward where the outcomes of traffic failures are on display would be a better introduction to the dangers and joy's of motorbike riding here in HOT & sunny West Australia!

Regarding gunlisence;
Knowing the legislation makes it not hard to get a firearm here in WA.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
we have those limited licenses in germany too,
you start with 34hp* and mentioned weight ratio,
and graduate up to an unlimited license automatically
some two years later, without any proof of bike
ownership or experience.
only exception is age, you can get the big license
right from the start from age 25 up i think.

it is not fair, as any young guy can drive a 300hp
car, harming others but themselves, and we
innocent bike riders are forced to ride a turd.

*it was at 27hp back then.

THEY CAME UP WITH THAT SHIT EXACTLY 27
DAYS BEFORE I GOT 18*, SOME +20 YEARS
AGO, AND I AM STILL ANGRY AT THEM.

YES, I AM SHOUTING, I KNOW IT IS NOT NICE.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

*age every european is waiting for bike wise.

i rode all my bikes open, from the start,
be it the 43hp KTM dirt bike, or that 1200cc
panhead, they could not stop me.

:mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,343 Posts
we have those limited licenses in germany too,
you start with 34hp* and mentioned weight ratio,
and graduate up to an unlimited license automatically
some two years later, without any proof of bike
ownership or experience.
only exception is age, you can get the big license
right from the start from age 25 up i think.

it is not fair, as any young guy can drive a 300hp
car, harming others but themselves, and we
innocent bike riders are forced to ride a turd.

*it was at 27hp back then.

THEY CAME UP WITH THAT SHIT EXACTLY 27
DAYS BEFORE I GOT 18*, SOME +20 YEARS
AGO, AND I AM STILL ANGRY AT THEM.

YES, I AM SHOUTING, I KNOW IT IS NOT NICE.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

*age every european is waiting for bike wise.

i rode all my bikes open, from the start,
be it the 43hp KTM dirt bike, or that 1200cc
panhead, they could not stop me.

:mad: :mad: :mad: ;)
In New South Wales at least, there are car limitations as well for learners and provisional license drivers, which essentially bans every kid's dream car, one of our big V8s and turbo cars. Not sure if Smart Cars are included, but you need a rich Daddy for that, plus excellent final school exam results!

·
Registered
218 Posts
They're talking about changing the licencing laws here is NZ- currently you can get povisional licence to drive a car or bike from 15! It was great when all the young guys needed transport to work at their job or head for the farm.
It isn't required here any more. But i heard stats the other day that the average new driver here gets 26 hours of instruction before passing their test.
In Finland, which is the most like NZ in terms of roads, they have to do 120 hours of training, including 10 hours on a skid pan.

Surely we're not against young people learning to ride/ drive properly and hopefully making it to 25 in one piece. I agree that a lot of the issue comes down to maturity- but in the UK middle age blokes are getting on Blades and GP replica type bikes and wrapping themselves around trees and other stuff in large numbers- so it's not just youth who need to know how to ride within their abilities

Right pontification over- back to bike mechanicals

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here it is just 250cc limit.

I have restored/rebuild this little rocket 50HP/123kg/250cc and any learner/first year license holder can ride it.
These bikes did over 100miles/hour in 1986 at the Isle of Mann TT in 250cc production class!!
3XY 250cc Yammies are capable of 70HP!!and still legal!

·
Registered
24 Posts
In vic the newest law is 150kw to the tonne.
But 600ss are allowed. When you do the math they are 300hp to the tonne.

So there rules are stupid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I keep a motorcycle in the Alps, but on US registration. That allows me to avoid most of what I consider the silliness of local licensing laws that require perhaps $3000 and a year to get a license, regardless of previous experience. There are an increasing number of places in the world that have more-or-less followed the German model, and I am exceedingly happy that I don't live in any of 'em.

I taught myself at ride at age 10, started riding on the street at age 15-1/2 without any training... Apparently I didn't need any either, as I did just fine. And in the 33 years and hundreds of thousands of miles of street riding since, I have yet to make an insurance claim or be injured. There are a lot of people just like me.

Having immigrated to the US from Europe with my family before all that, and enjoyed the freedom to do things my way and succeed at it, I value it more than most. Stopping others from doing it their way is not on my agenda. Be very careful when you advocate more and more licensing and control over your life - assuming that were to happen here where I live, there's nowhere further west for me to go :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I agree, the nanny state restrictions are stupid. Their intention is to keep us like children, always dependent on the state, always looking to the state for authority and permission, and thus taking away our freedoms. It all starts with public school, but this is getting way off topic.

I agree that it is prudent for a young person to start out with a low power bike, but that should be their decision and not the state's one. We believe in personal responsibility in America, at least in theory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.