Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Are you really going to put in 16 Watt headlights???

The sale website does not mention the number of lumens these bulbs put out which is a better measure of light output than the quote power consumption. Probably fine if you don't ride at night.

Let us know how they go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A 16w LED should produce roughly 1050 lumens of output on it's own. With the reflectors added, they may actually be of use as a headlight. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for you. Post some side-by-side pics with another MTS at night if you have the chance. Or, try just swapping 1 out and taking a video with 1 Halo, and 1 LED. See if you can tell the difference in the ground patch they light up. I just got done watching some youtube videos and while the two look very close in intensity, the halo bulbs definitely cast more light on the ground. The LED seems to dissipate much faster at distance.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Contact some people on V-Leds and see if they have something. I trust their products a little more. I use their high powered LED on our FX35 as fog lamps and they work like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
I would be seriosly amazed if those bulbs have anything like the output of my 55w H11 Osram Nightbreaker PLUS bulbs..

The reflectors are designed for a halogen bulb.. I can see doing a xenon conversion, but LEDs? Im sceptical, but i hope to see your pics! I really like LEDs as I have two dedicated 8w auxillary cree based DRLs on mine..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

Attachments

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
I would be seriosly amazed if those bulbs have anything like the output of my 55w H11 Osram Nightbreaker PLUS bulbs..

The reflectors are designed for a halogen bulb.. I can see doing a xenon conversion, but LEDs? Im sceptical, but i hope to see your pics! I really like LEDs as I have two dedicated 8w auxillary cree based DRLs on mine..

As a comparison, the LEDs in the 2013 are 24W (they mention they use 2A) and more of a point source designed for the reflector.

I suspect these are fine for their intended "be seen" use, but likely not for lighting the way. I'm certainly interested to hear how they work though and if they do work for seeing that would be very cool.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'll keep you posted. Next Thursday I will have the bike again returning from my dealer. I will the install the LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you really going to put in 16 Watt headlights???

The sale website does not mention the number of lumens these bulbs put out which is a better measure of light output than the quote power consumption. Probably fine if you don't ride at night.

Let us know how they go.
16W led is NOT equal to 16W halogeen

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
aschemkes,
I know, that is what I said.
The lumens is the light output. The wattage is the power draw. LEDs are more efficient and give more lumens per watt than an incandescent/halogen bulb.

As fas as I can tell, a 12Watt LED bulbs put out 400-450 lumens. Halogen bulbs vary but put out from 1350-2100 lumens. Other sources say that an LED will put out roughly 4 x the lumens per Watt as a halogen with current technology.

If this is right, a 16W LED will be equivalent to about a 65Watt halogen. I would not use this low power in either high beam or low beam.

Don't get me wrong, I have LED fog lights and they are great. I just think 16W LEDs are not strong enough for the headlights you rely on. We have lots or nocturnal creatures down here that can and do jump out to commit suicide and I ride at least an hour in the dark pretty much every day.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aschemkes,
I know, that is what I said.
The lumens is the light output. The wattage is the power draw. LEDs are more efficient and give more lumens per watt than an incandescent/halogen bulb.

If this is right, a 16W LED will be equivalent to about a 65Watt halogen. I would not use this low power in either high beam or low beam.
Huh? Standard halogen is 55W in our Multistrada's and most cars and bikes. But the biggest difference with this bulb is the lens. The lens will focus the light, thus giving much more useful light on the road. And your right Watt means nothing in light output, it's lumens. It's a pitty they don't mention that on the products. I will try to make a good comparison with a second Multistrada with halogen lights beside the led. And I will try to measure it, when I get my hands on a light meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Well yes to that but the very first thing i did on my bike was to upgrade the low beams and aim the lights. They were waaaay too low.
55W low beam....no chance.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
The stock halogen bulbs on cars and bikes are 55w.. With h11 bases in our case.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
BTW, here are some "20W" LED ones:

Wholesale Car Bulbs Head Lights Fog Lamps H11 CREE R4*4 20W High Power Auto LED White-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Looking around though I have noticed some of the (maybe more accurate) descriptions state "output power" as 20W with power consumption of 3W.

So it may be the case that these are equivalent to a 16W or 20W halogen, not that it is (like the ones on the 2013) an LED consuming 24W.

Extrapolating, 3W = 20W, 1 W = 6.6666 output watts, one might guess that the ones used on the 2013 consuming 24W would potentially be the equivalent to these outputting 160W which sounds nice even if it was for the pair - has anyone seen the new MTS's LEDs in action at night?

·
Registered
734 Posts
has anyone seen the new MTS's LEDs in action at night?
Not yet but my dealer called today and he just received two of his first three 2013's.....guess who's didn't show yet? :mad: He said to drop on in and check them out next week, which I'll probably do.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
Not yet but my dealer called today and he just received two of his first three 2013's.....guess who's didn't show yet? :mad: He said to drop on in and check them out next week, which I'll probably do.
Likewise mine has 2 in, one for demo and one for the showroom. So the demo one might be available for a ride the first week of Jan (they have to wait to register it in the new year). I'll take a look but might hold of taking a spin as it might frustrate me even more with mine being late. But I will try to check out the lights too.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
aschemkes

With what did you replace them?
Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra 100W.
I only replaced the outer low beams and left the high beams alone. I hardly ever use the high beams. I have also considered the wiring change to hae all 4 bulbs on on high beam but I have not bothered as High beams and my little LED fog lights work fine for me.

As I said, I like the idea of LEDs but I would not like to go backwards in output. Replacing the standard halogens with LEDs is an easy fix but the real world performance is complex. The output, colour temp, reflector design and beam pattern all come into play. It seems to me that an LED pillar with CREE LEDs radiating out may not be optimal for the reflector that is specifically designed for a short glowing filament in a very specific position.

Happy for people to try and share their experiences.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
100w H11s? Wow! Where did you get those? You are not worried about the heat? Any upgrades to the wiring?

I have 100w bulbs in my aux lights on the car but i didnt know they made them in H11!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts