Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2016 multi has just started acting up when I first start. The bike has 37000kms and never had any issues up until this one but maybe it’s nothing. I don’t ride the bike every day but a few times a week, the other morning it started good but idling the rpm was up and down and would almost stall out but didn’t. I started to ride and it had some dead spots and on acceleration would pop and backfire and my buddy said some smoke was coming from the exhaust, not sure what color. I babied it for a while and after about 1/2 hour started to run fine and never had a problem and did a 700 km ride that day. The next day I went out for a little ride and same issue but went away faster. After the first day I thought maybe some water on something after washing or maybe bad gas but I ran a couple tanks that day and definitely any water build up would have dried so not sure why it did it the next day. It’s been quite hot and humid here in Quebec last few weeks and the bike is kept in a garage over night. No error codes. Any suggestions what to check? Another note , I see people suggest to keep rpms around 4K , lately I’ve been cruising around in higher gear with lower rpms as I like touring and I’m trying to improve gas mileage, maybe I just need to get her out there and blow out some carbon

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Could it be a leaky injector seal? When they sit and the O ring leaks letting air in and the fuel out, when they warm up, seal swells and air purges out and runs normally, but this is usually after a few minutes. Do you smell fuel when you first fire it off? Another possibility is the temp sensor? It thinks it’s hotter or colder than really is, so the mapping is off making it run poopie.

·
Sophomore Member
2,888 Posts
I’d start with checking the plugs. If they are marginal, the bike will run better when warmed up, but miss a bit when cold.

If those are fine,I’d start looking for vacuum leaks, especially on the air pressure sensor.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
New plugs and a can of SeaFoam . Chances are it’s just cruddy injectors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the 30000km valve check myself at about 33km ,new plugs , air filter, timing belts so I don’t think it’s plugs, I don’t smell gas, I did check the exhaust valve if it was moving freely but only when the motor was not running. One other note, each time I put the bike away , i had just filled the gas tank and it had maybe 10kms so I’m wondering if it something to do with that, full tank and hot weather, even though it was in the garage over night.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like what happen to mine when the rear vertical MAP sensor hose degraded and cracked causing a vacuum leak, after about a week of running rough it through a misfire code.

Parts Diagram

Numbers 13 and 17.

·
Sophomore Member
2,888 Posts
Does the bike still have the evap can on it? You mention you had just filled the bike before parking. If you are like me and tend to overfill, this could be the source of the problem. If you overfill, it flows liquid into the canister as opposed to just vapor. This will make it run like shit.
If you don’t have the evap can, I’m leaning towards the MAP sensor tubing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I do have the evap can, i have over filled the tank in the past and the overflow would run out a tube to the ground, but if the tank was full when I put it away for the night is it possible it built pressure in the tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I seem to have found the problem, the front spark plug wire is arching like crazy, not sure why it goes away as the bike warms up. F52A7083-807C-4639-B9F0-8514C20AE91D.png Here is a screen shot of a video I took. The video is actually kind of cool lol but can’t seem to post it

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
That could potentially cause an ignition failure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I seem to have found the problem, the front spark plug wire is arching like crazy, not sure why it goes away as the bike warms up. View attachment 990557 Here is a screen shot of a video I took. The video is actually kind of cool lol but can’t seem to post it
I'd say that looks as if it would be the problem. I was going to suggest maybe a bad tank of gas, but after the vid, yes. Looks like a campfire in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts