Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current instrument cluster face plate is cracked, so I purchased a brand new one off ebay. Can I just plug it in and go? Or do I have reprogram it? Also is there a way to enter the old mileage from the old cluster? The bike is an 03 999

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
the service tech asked for my red key when my bike needed the dash replaced.mileage show on the dash unit cannot be altered

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah the only way to get your old milage back on the new clock is to RIDE IT!
Look at it as free milage =) OR a real low milage bike. If the bike its a keeper who cares ?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input but, I need a solid anwser because I still have to get the bike a new salvage title coming from Cal to Nevada currently has a Cal salvage. So I'm thinking that DMV will want to see the true old milage.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My current instrument cluster face plate is cracked, so I purchased a brand new one off ebay. Can I just plug it in and go? Or do I have reprogram it? Also is there a way to enter the old mileage from the old cluster? The bike is an 03 999

Thanks, Mike
I'm not 100% sure but I'm going to say this with 97.3% certainty - No you can't, unless the new dash comes with a new red key and lock set. You will almost certainly also need a new ECU as I'm guessing your existing ECU is married to your cracked clocks. Possibly, if you have already swapped your OEM ECU with a Termi DP ECU, and you never used the red key you will be OK. You cannot reset the mileage.

When my clocks cracked - I had them replaced on warranty, and had to have the key set and ECU swapped. I wish there was a definitive hall of wisdom answer to this as this often comes up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, you can certainly just swap the cases out. If you look on the side, there's a "gap" where the top and bottom halves meet. About 10 places or so around this gap, there's a slightly deeper "hole", and if you insert a flat blade screwdriver in there and twist, the two halves will pop open. Work your way around, and just swap the tops.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not a Problem

I had my cluster replaced under warrantee and the dealer didn't require the red key . The cluster can be set up for any 749/999 via the instructions in you user manual. The clusters are 'generic' and can be set for bike type, country & measurment type ie km/ml.PM me if you need ANY help with the set-up proceedure. I am quiet sure of these facts as i was curious when i had the new one fitted and asked alot of questions !

·
Registered
443 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts