Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you take and why? It's going to be one of these two for me but I am having a HARD time deciding. I'm a very experienced rider and will use it for a mix of street, aggressive canyon, and (eventually) track riding, in Europe.

Spec is much better on SP but I am way more attracted to the style and riding position of the SF (shallow I know), although I've heard of right-foot and ground clearance issues with it on-track. I won't be able to modify either one at all for at least 6 months, they have to stay bone stock.

I think I know the answer but would love to hear some perspective from y'all.... :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Make sure you sit on the Hyper, size wise it is smaller than the previous generation, I was surprised at how compact it was when I sat on it at the moto show. If both fit, I would get the one with better suspension, both will be really fun but to really make it yours you'll need to dial that in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Differences (Europe-spec)
SF - SP
130hp - 110hp
93,5nm - 89nm
199kg - 194kg
marzocchi 43mm full adjust - marzocchi 50mm full adjust
sachs full adjust - ohlins full adjust
DTC - DTC, ABS
Corsa 180/60 - Supercorsa SP 180/55

Personally I don´t know how these would do against eachother on track, but the extra power might be enough to give the SF a slight edge. I have not tried the SP, but I own the SF and I agree with you that the looks of the SF is better in my opinion. I know nothing about the ground clearance issues, but for me the SF wins because of it´s looks and a slightly more powerful engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, SF hands down. Mileage range on Hyper much more limited.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Not with the new Hypers...capacity increased to 16L vs. the SF's 16.5. You seem (from sig) like a track guy, wouldn't you be tempted by the SP's sus and forged Marchis?

I hate the beaky supermoto look but wonder if the SP will just be so much better as to make it worthwhile...it's like choosing between a butterface who is awesome in bed vs. a limp fish supermodel...:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not with the new Hypers...capacity increased to 16L vs. the SF's 16.5. You seem (from sig) like a track guy, wouldn't you be tempted by the SP's sus and forged Marchis?

I hate the beaky supermoto look but wonder if the SP will just be so much better as to make it worthwhile...it's like choosing between a butterface who is awesome in bed vs. a limp fish supermodel...:D
Not really sure I would call the SF a limp fish, but most definately a supermodel :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's a good point, maybe I am just underestimating the 848. I guess that's what was behind my original post, really.
If you have the opportunity I would recommend you to try both bikes. Find out which one you like the most. If you like them both, go for the one that appeals the most to you when it comes to looks. For me, my bike is a passion, and I know that I wouldn't have the same passion for my bike if I picked it because it performed marginally better on a track. Personally I don't know if the SP would perform better than the SF on a track anyways.

I can tell you this; in those aggressive canyon runs, the SF848 will put a big smile on your face every day!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been a while but just to close this off I ended up choosing the SF848, couldn't be happier (so far). I tried the Hyper and found the motor to be a gem but for me the front end felt numb, I thought the bike was too rear-biased in weight.

I'm still in the break-in period but the SF feels fantastic, aside from the 4k surging which just started last night. Hoping a re-map at the first service will fix that.

The bike fits me perfect, feels as agile as a bicycle, and looks the business. Can't wait to hit 1000 km so I can really open her up!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
That's a good point, maybe I am just underestimating the 848. I guess that's what was behind my original post, really.
I had the SF 848, and I tested the Hyperstrada. The motors are very different. Check bore and stroke for both. The HYperstrada motor is taller and narrower than the 848.

How does that translate into the riding experience? The 821cc motor of the Hyperstrada is a lot more functional for day to day riding. I'm not sure if the gear ratios have been changed as well, but the Hyperstrada you can use 6th gear at 65-70 mph without risking lugging it. The SF848 you have to be at about 80mph to use 6th gear. Most of the time the 848 is a 5 speed motorcycle. If not a 4 speed. Besides that, the 821cc motor has other improvements that make it really smooth, same improvements that were made in the new Multistrada (2013).

On the track, that same story would have a different end, of course.

I did not test the SP version, with better suspension than the Hyperstrada I tested. And I had the bags installed when I tested. But I think the Hyperstrada is a more refined motorcycle, I liked the touring mode for just riding around and the Sport mode for hooliganism.

The SF is 100% hooligan. The SF 1098 is more than that. And there are some of those still available for sale, brand new, and at a discount.

If I would buy a motorcycle for around town, and for some canyon fast forays, it would be the Hyperstrada.

By the the way, its tank is a lot larger than the tank on the old Hypermotard. It should be good for some 180 miles, similar in size to the 848, but I believe the Hyperstrada should do better gas mileage.

Oh yes, insurance. The Hyperstrada/Hypermotard SP has the safety pack, includes ABS. Not the case in the SF. Check your insurance costs. I bet the SP would cost less to insure.

Difficult choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been a while but just to close this off I ended up choosing the SF848, couldn't be happier (so far). I tried the Hyper and found the motor to be a gem but for me the front end felt numb, I thought the bike was too rear-biased in weight.

I'm still in the break-in period but the SF feels fantastic, aside from the 4k surging which just started last night. Hoping a re-map at the first service will fix that.

The bike fits me perfect, feels as agile as a bicycle, and looks the business. Can't wait to hit 1000 km so I can really open her up!!!
Congratulations on a great choice! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts