Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

As the new kid on the block, just wanted to drop a post to introduce myself. Just picked up a lightly used 2008 Hyper S last week and all I can say is.....WOW! This isn't my first bike, but it is my first Ducati and I'm already completely, utterly smitten with it. I make excuses on at least a twice daily basis to take it out for some city riding hooliganism.

I'm from Texas originally but I've been living and working in Singapore for the last 7+ years. Bikes like this are a pretty expensive hobby here, but I couldn't rationalize it any longer and took the plunge last week.

Already resisting the urge to go nuts on the upgrades. The bike came with the DP steering damper, Termi slip-ons, and some frame sliders, but that's about it. I added the DP Performance racing seat, which I like.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly:
1) love the engine and wide powerband, great for city riding
2) ergonomics are good for me (6'2", 212lb)
3) of course it looks and sounds fantastic (took out the baffles)
4) surprised by the finicky nature in 1st gear, likes a bit of maintenance throttle tending, otherwise some drivetrain lash and front end jerkiness
5) mirrors make effective street sweeping weapons, but that's about all they're good for

First mod I'm thinking about is replacing the front and rear sprockets and chain with 6mm / 520 pitch equivalents, given the hand to hand combat that is Singapore city traffic. Debating on going down to a 14 on the front, but afraid it might shorten up the final drive too much, so was thinking about stepping one down in the rear to 41 instead. Any advice here?

I've read the considerable feedback about the Marzocchi forks, but appreciate any advice on the "must do" items from everyone. Looks like a great forum and looking forward to contributing!

Thanks,
Cog

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hyper mods

I've read the considerable feedback about the Marzocchi forks, but appreciate any advice on the "must do" items from everyone. Looks like a great forum and looking forward to contributing!

Thanks,
Cog
"MUST DO" will vary depending on rider and use.

As for the forks, they are FINE. Some of the lighter riders compained they are too harsh and some of the heavier riders complained they are too soft - yet that is to be expected. Many complained about the inability to FULLY adjust the forks to suit their needs and that is probably the biggest compaint - as many were lead to believe they were fully adjustable. My only suggestion is to get the suspension set up for your weight and then ride it. You may be on the heavy side and require a new set of springs. Unless your riding the track, my guess is that the forks will work just fine.

Ground clearance seems to be a big issue and many drag the pegs on the track. So, you might consider rearsets or a set of pegs http://www.ducatidesigns.com/inc/sdetail/2858

Bar end mirrors are cool but useless.

Not sure why you would want to add more low end to the bike - unless your stunting. Horses for courses, I guess. IMO, the bike needs more mid-top end. So, the race cams and head work may be in order???

Seat is a big complaint and many seem happy with the race seat, comfort seat or Sargent seat. You have that solved.

Tank pads to reduce sliding up on the tank are probably in the works.

Frame sliders you already have, so no need there.

Larger aftermarket tank might be in order if you plan to travel. Not sure if that is an issue on the peninsula?

Little windshield seems to help at speeds above 75 and the back rack + netting might be nice as a place to park your helmet or transport carry out.

Rear hugger if you plan to get caught in the rain???

Anyway, those are just some of the things I have put on my wish list.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm a cleaning maniac, first thing you need on a Hyper before considering bling items or power engine upgrade is a good rear hugger !
It will save you lot of time cleaning that yellow rear spring.

I've been leaving in Ho Chi Minh City for more than a year, and oh boy i wouldnt like cleaning the bike after one of those late afternoon rain !

My suggestion for a good rear hugger is the one from Shift-Tech.

I cant really give any advices on the sprockets game, as I'm not decided yet about what i want. But from what i read, most people only go for a front 14T and seems very happy about it.

Enjoy the Hyper and drink a Tiger Beer for me !
And if you need a web developper, contact me, I wouldnt mind moving back to SE Asia.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Revelstoker...some very good suggestions there. I've already been thinking about picking the cams up when I'm back in the States for Christmas in a few weeks. I already have the Termi slip ons, so the Termi manifold / cat eliminator / ECU kit is looking pretty attractive.

Will be doing a majority of my riding around the city and into nearby parts of Malaysia, so can probably live with the stock tank and no windshield, but we'll see.

Also forgot to mention the bike came with some aftermarket, fold-up pegs which seem to be much better than stock. Will hold off on a new set of pegs for the time being.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chouch, duly noted on the rear hugger! I was actually up under the bike today and realized that would need to be done at some point. I bought the bike in the middle of the monsoon, which is probably not the smartest thing I've ever done:crazy:, but I couldn't resist any longer...I had to get riding again.

Jury is still out for me on the gearing as well...going to live with the bike a few months to see if I get adjusted to it a little better then will see.

Will def hoist a Tiger or three for you (when not on the bike) and I work in IT, so PM a link to your resume and I'll be glad to keep an eye for you here.

Cog

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I also have the Termi slip-ons and was recently looking at the manifolds kit (cat convertier, bigger diameter manifolds, midpipe without a valve and ECU)

But whoever decided the price for this kit was seriously under the effect of good drugs. I mean, $1300 for 3 stainless pipes and a an ECU seems way too high!

You might want to look into the Zard collector kit that Desmowork is selling :
http://www.desmoworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_330&products_id=335
For 1/3 of the price of the Ducati kit, you can get a similar product.

Cant give you my feedback on the Zard kit yet, as my kit is waiting under the Xmas tree. But you can find a lot of post here about it.

As for my resume, going back to SE Asia is more to me like a dream.
Not sure I would get the guts to give up on everything again :eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zard headers

okay, thanks...that's an interesting option for sure. i think they would definitely require some ECU work to get the most out of. i notice they offer an $950! ECU to with it, which would kind of defeat the cost savings purpose.

they also recommend pairing it with the DP high-lift cams and ECU which would probably be the route i would go. i will give that combo a serious look. the bike will be due for it's 12,000km service in a few months, so i've been thinking that would be a good time to get the cams in.

also need to find someone here in Singapore that can do a good port and polish job. that along with the cams and the zard manifold would probably make a pretty awesome experience. not willing to start looking at high comp pistons or a lightened valvetrain, so that would have to suffice. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can't speak to the mirrors - I still use the stock ones and sort of like them (I'm in the minority here). Several folks on the board recommend going with lighter weight fork oil at approximately the stock level - I've tried it and like it, though if you're picky about suspension action you'll likely end up with a cartridge kit.

I've really enjoyed doing power mods - The obligatory airbox mod, an LV exhaust, the cam kit and some mild porting did wonders to my bike, I'm up about 18 hp vs stock, and it just feels great.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, Shenders...appreciate your view on the mirrors. (bad pun intended)

I actually like the look of em, but they're not very functional in my daily riding. Too much vibration at speed and I keep having to lean back to get a good view, which isn't exactly safer. Traffic in Singapore is like hand to hand combat: lane markers, turn signals, and mirrors might as well not exist here. Throw Singapore's notorious taxi drivers into the mix, and you really have to watch your a**. Not to mention I've already been guilty of banging a few car door mirrors filtering (with apologies), so I will probably have to switch them out at some point.

Can't wait to get the collectors and cams in this baby...hopefully will see the same difference you have. have to find someone here that can do a good port and polish.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Must do items

Greetings and welcome,

I did a ton of research and contacted several owners and before I picked up my bike and as a result of the review, I had the local Ducati dealer install the full termi system (ECU, race exhaust and air box cover), race seat and 14 tooth CS sprocket.

Most of the members here would agree that these are not "must do" by any means, but the combination is popular and works well. One other item that I thought was a very good cost to benefit mod was the Nichols flywheel.

With these mods, (and a few others) my bike responds instantly and is a blast to ride.

Let the fun begin!

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey, thanks, BigJoe. went with the termi underseat slip-ons because the girlfriend wouldn't be too thrilled if i went monoposto and kept her out of the fun.

i've probably already decided to go with the lightened 14t sprocket in the front and will go ahead and swap the rear with the DP alloy one as well while i'm at it. i read somewhere that shaves about 2lbs of unsprung weight off the drivetrain, which is quite a lot. i've also heard good things about that combo + switching out to the carbon clutch plates, which is also about 1.5lbs or so lighter than stock i think. i'll also check out the nichols flywheel you suggested.

now, about that carbon tank cover, new rearsets, rear hugger, hp cams, zard collectors, new fork cartridges......ah, we're just getting started. :)

Greetings and welcome,

I did a ton of research and contacted several owners and before I picked up my bike and as a result of the review, I had the local Ducati dealer install the full termi system (ECU, race exhaust and air box cover), race seat and 14 tooth CS sprocket.

Most of the members here would agree that these are not "must do" by any means, but the combination is popular and works well. One other item that I thought was a very good cost to benefit mod was the Nichols flywheel.

With these mods, (and a few others) my bike responds instantly and is a blast to ride.

Let the fun begin!

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
96 Posts
more must do stuff

I also have frame and axle sliders, a pit bull stand and finally, a lightweight nichols clutch basket and full barnett clutch kit, a pauli moto open cover and red DP clutch pressure plate and black SS springs (Must do) and the wife and I ride together with no issues.....

The termi 2 to 1 without the baffle sounds killer and my wife has never burned her leg yet....

I would not hesitate to do the 2-1, unless you plan on saddle bags. For light touring (alone) I run a cortec tail bag which works for trips of four days or less, with hotel stays...the rear subframe and DP tail bag mounts don't look sturdy enough to me to run a tent outfit....for adventure touring, I would run my XR400 in any event....

Best regards,

Joe

·
Premium Member
12,360 Posts
Night riding ???? Change the headlight bulb...get rid of the rubber on the footpegs...change the wimpy ass horn if you use it .... Skys the limit ,,,have fun

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one embarrassed by the rubber footpegs. I rode form the dealer to my place took them off and then started running in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have frame and axle sliders, a pit bull stand and finally, a lightweight nichols clutch basket and full barnett clutch kit, a pauli moto open cover and red DP clutch pressure plate and black SS springs (Must do) and the wife and I ride together with no issues.....

The termi 2 to 1 without the baffle sounds killer and my wife has never burned her leg ......
Thanks for the correction on the pipe. i was down at the dealer's service shop today talking to the head mechanic about a few things and he told me the same thing. given the bike had the 2-1-2 setup already, i will probably just go ahead and spend the money on the Zard headers/collectors and DP cams instead.

after talking to the guy today, i'm also pretty sure the previous owner already glazed the clutch plates, so will need to figure something out about that sooner or later.

Night riding ???? Change the headlight bulb...get rid of the rubber on the footpegs...change the wimpy ass horn if you use it .... Skys the limit ,,,have fun
yes, the horn totally blows. it sounds like an asthmatic, shrieking cat. i do a lot of night riding, so will probably change the bulb and the horn at some point. horns get used a lot here in traffic. saw one of the guys in malaysia has done this already. you have to get noticed to stay safe here.

the stock pegs are already gone and replaced with aftermarkets...i'm happy with them. grippy with friction plates underneath.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts