Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Been bike-less for the last couple of years after my '07 800SS was stolen. Always swore I'd get another one, but life had other ideas. However, I recently stumbled upon a deal I couldn't pass up when my friend Mark blew the motor in his GTI and needed funds to do the rebuild. As a result, I picked up his '96 900SS for a pretty good deal. The bike is solid, just needs love from sitting for a little while. He had plans to turn it into a cafe bike, so the front light is a 7" unit (I think it's from a Suzuki, not sure). Hope to learn a lot from y'all!

IMG_4157 by theseeker411, on Flickr

·
Registered
165 Posts
It looks like the all of the basics are there if you want to return it to original, fairings & lights etc are available on fleabay this side of the pond,I am sure it must be the same in the USA. I like the exhaust can.There is plenty of information on this site, often covered before so use the search option, if you cant find what you want then just ask. I like the exhaust can. Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
And if you don't want to return it to original, I think it looks pretty good right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I honestly like the look of it too. May do a SuperMono tail section or more cafe style tail in the future, not sure yet. Right now I'm just trying to go through and make sure it's solid before I start putting miles on it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
And if you do want to return it back to stock I have all the parts you need (cheap) as I am parting out a '95 and I'm just up the road from you.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
More pics please, I kinda like the look of it right now with that chrome headlight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are the handlebars stock or modified? The angle looks different. Yes, we need more pictures! ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have to admit I generally lean towards originality but that looks pretty darn good! More pics would be nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Merry Christmas, everyone!

I spend the majority of my morning today getting a few miles under my belt with the bike. Really hadn't been able to do much riding since I bought it, mostly because of work and this odd, wet SoCal weather. A few notes from today.

I think this bike had been sitting a while prior to me buying it. Got a quarter mile down the road and it cut out on me. Got some gas it in, put some miles on it, and it cut out again and refused to get going till a nice couple came out of their house and gave me some gas. Guessing that the gas that was in there was going bad. Full tank of premium later and it hasn't had that issue since.

Definitely need to do some work on the starter solenoid. The thing refused to start on me after I'd filled up, and it wasn't till I jiggled the solenoid wiring that I got the thing to fire.

gs2offroad, the bars are definitely not stock. I have no idea what they are. They're high rise clip ons that for some reason have been mounted under the top triple clamp. No idea why. There are a small number of things on this bike that have me scratching my head.

Ducati 900ss by theseeker411, on Flickr

Yeah, that instrument cluster is sort of goofy. I think I want that back to stock. Not sure yet. Also note, there's no ignition system controls. Why? Because whoever owned this bike before me put the ignition on a switch under the seat.
Ducati 900ss by theseeker411, on Flickr

Yeah...no clue why that was done. Definitely want the system put back to stock.

Anyway, the bikes issues are thankfully relatively minor. The biggest issue I currently have is the lack of wind protection on the freeway. Definitely felt like I was going to get blown off the thing a few times. A wind screen of some sort is on the growing list of things I need to buy.

900ss by theseeker411, on Flickr

Quick shot of it next to my BMW 635, aka "Ol Dirty Bastard." I still have to get the fenders and rear bodywork from the seller, which won't happen till after New Years thanks to our work schedules.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
If your start worked after jiggling the solenoid wiring - check the small two pin plug that plugs into the solenoid - it's the common cause of solenoid 'failures' - the damn thing comes loose quite easily, causing nil response from the start button...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, did a Google search while I was fighting with the thing and I'll be running a zip tie on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on the CR. This is pretty obvious, however since we are having cold/rainy weather in SoCal, a good project would be to clean ALL the electrical connections on the CR. Pay a lot of attention to the ground wires, even if they look clean it would be some cheap insurance to hit them with a wire brush, particularly if the bike has been sitting.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Congrats on the CR. This is pretty obvious, however since we are having cold/rainy weather in SoCal, a good project would be to clean ALL the electrical connections on the CR. Pay a lot of attention to the ground wires, even if they look clean it would be some cheap insurance to hit them with a wire brush, particularly if the bike has been sitting.
Not just a wire brush - sandpaper the paint off the attach points on the frame, then use a light smear of dielectric grease (Vaseline works fine) on the shiny clean connectors when you bolt them back on. Check the two yellow wires that come up from the stator - the two connectors at the top of the wire are often prone to corrosion and turning themselves black - causing charging problems... Lots of other advice on this forum about these wires, and ways to improve them. ;)

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
525 Posts
The Bars (but not the Master Cylinders) are or at least look stock to me.

One of my Riding Buddies has a 750SS which has the Same forks as the CR like yours. He had them rebuilt and resprung and damped and they are far superior to my SS/SP fully adjustable forks (Which i admit i have never touched but are getting 2002 GSXR Internals this winter).

Nice looking ride though. I do remember reading somewhere that the monsters (Basicaly an SS without a fairing - at least the motor) has slightly richer jetting than the SS, maybe better airflow. Anyway if you are running without a fairing, doing any tuning, look into it sometime.

Chris

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not just a wire brush - sandpaper the paint off the attach points on the frame, then use a light smear of dielectric grease (Vaseline works fine) on the shiny clean connectors when you bolt them back on. Check the two yellow wires that come up from the stator - the two connectors at the top of the wire are often prone to corrosion and turning themselves black - causing charging problems... Lots of other advice on this forum about these wires, and ways to improve them. ;)
Excellent advice! When I found my 96SP, it had lived near the coast most of it's life. I had not planned to ride it the 150 or so miles home, in fact didn't have any gear with me. The seller loaned me a motocross hat and it made the trip no problems. However, I was riding a local road in the Sierras with crappy, bumpy pavement a few days later and after a big jolt, she quit. No juice. And it was starting to rain. And I was miles from home with zero cell service.
I coasted/pushed a few miles and stopped to rest by a steel building I thought was empty. Went over to see if anyone was around, and found a couple guys in a fully equipped shop that serviced irrigation water pumps. They had a VOM, files, sandpaper, plus they were fascinated by the Ducati. We found the faulty ground pretty quickly, and needless to say when I got home every contact point was sandpapered, wire brushed down to bare metal and put back in place with dielectric grease. Some contact points looked fine at first glance.
BTW I returned to the water pump shop the next day with two bottles of vodka for my new friends:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I will definitely be spending my weekend making sure the bike's grounds are all good to go, thanks guys!

Already found one big issue. All of my lights work except for the rear turn signals. Both front ones work fine, but neither of the rears do. Time to do some digging.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I think you may have missed the ground hidden down by the brake pedal. I think that's the one for the rear lights.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
The handlebars SHOULD be under the top tree on early SS, unlike a 99 and newer efi bike where the forks were longer. In fact the forks have been dropped in the trees, you should have more tube above the trees . Not enough to put clip ons on them but a good 5-10mm.

The marzzocci forks were under sprung like most everything else, the valving was not horrible so springs and oil will make them work decent. Before you do anything to them inspect the chrome in the thrust area as they used to wear through pretty early. If it is bad I do not recommend replacing with the same as there are better options.

Nice starting point you should have fun with the bike as they are great motorcycles.
Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts