Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a few street bikes over the years. Never spent alot of time on the street. 99% of my riding has been offroad. Currently own a KTM 300 XCW... which I love.

But with my riding partners are moving away, so I am considering a MTS for many reason. Number one, I love the way the look, second, they apprear to be a bike that will be comfortable for longer trips. Which is the goal.

Living in SoCal, there are several good ones advertised on CL, and other places. But are there any years to avoid, or target.

I am looking to go low budget on it, because it may not work out, I may end up selling it in a few months.

Any advice yall have, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Budget ??

Never owned the 1200 Multi, but have been warned of a flat spot in the engine between 5-6k ish RPMs and the brake lines are ran in close proximity to the exhaust, which basically cooks the breaker fluid, resulting in a mushy feel. Actually owners I'm sure will be able to speak further.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
I’d stay away from 2010 models. It was the first year of the water cooled Multi (completely redesigned). They had some issues. I’d also stay away from 2015 as this was the first year of the DVT motor (completely redesigned). For a budget bike, 2011-2014 will be your best bet. 2011 and 2012 S models had better suspension than the 2013 and 2014 S.
You will want to know the maintenance History of the bike- particularly valves and belts. Valves need to be checked every 15k on those years with belts being replaced every 15k or 5 years.
I wouldn’t be afraid of one that has some mileage on it. This will bring the price of the bike down a bit. However, resale will be difficult.

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd add the following model notes:
2012 models, ABS became standard (if you want that).
2013 models went to Skyhook suspension and dual-spark, the latter supposedly bringing more torque and better fuel economy --this was what tipped me towards the '13.
2014 models, I don't believe saw much, if any change.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
If you are not afraid of older models I am a fan of the older air cooled 1000/1100 multi's. They are bottomed in the market so you should be able to find a good one cheap. They do not have the power of the later 4-valve models but are much more mechanic friendly as well as lower operating costs at tune time. 2-valve motors are durable and simple to work on and the bikes are good rough road bikes. They say the 1200's are lighter but from someone who has to push them around in the shop I do not know as I believe the air cooled model is heavier then the bike with the heavier motor and liquid cooling.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This thread will leave you with more questions than when you started. Get a 15/16...you can easily find one for less than $10k. Full color TFT display, electronic suspension, DVT motor is just lovely.

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Thanks, @ducvet. You raise an excellent point. I seem to forget about those. They are excellent bikes. Much less complex- for better and worse.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Like @oxidefilm mentioned, it's hard to beat the value for money with a lightly used 15/16, and they are readily available, the used market is over saturated with these bikes. It's not difficult to find a well cared for bike, even the S model, for right around 10k.

Historically, depreciation on the water cooled big twin Ducatis tends to slow way down after they hit 10k. So buying in to one of these bikes around that price, as long as you don't damage it you're likely to get most of your money back, eventually. I say eventually because the market is saturated with ADV bikes in general, if you want something you could turn quick if you don't like it, this is the wrong time to be in the ADV market.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I cant remember the year exactly but I think it was a 2009 1000S multi, -One of my friends just sold his 4 weeks ago--It was loaded -Ohlins front & rear suspension from the factory low miles fully serviced --He sold it for $3000,00--He offered it to me for $2K with a bunch of extra parts--I just had no desire for one--If I remember correctly -& I probably dont--his was the last year for air cooled

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Be aware that some of the price drop on 4 valve multi's happen just before a major service. Be sure to check service history and what upcoming costs will be when looking at a used multi. Buying a unserviced multi just before a 18,000 mile mark will likely not include the cost of a major tune plus tires,suspension freshening or chain and sprockets all things that often happen about that time. Flip side is the bike where those things were all done recently that is a bike to look closely at even if it costs a little more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a 2014 MTS with 23000 miles, with recent service... for $7400 near me... may go look at that one this weekend

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
As others have noted, make note of mileage and service history. I got a seller to drop the price of my bike by almost $2K because it was about 1000km beyond service interval and it was a major service. As ducvet noted, the air-cooled bikes are easy to work on, cheap, and still a ton of fun at around 100hp and 70+ ft-lbs of torque. I take mine offroad quite a lot on a second set of rims with knobbies, it's no dirt bike but you'd be surprised what it can do. These bikes are supremely comfortable on long rides, they can be ridden hard and have no trouble keeping up with superbikes in the twisties, they'll do some dirt, and they make good daily drivers too - they've been called the swiss army knife of motorbikes.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Found a 2014 MTS with 23000 miles, with recent service... for $7400 near me... may go look at that one this weekend
All things considered, that could be a great deal. That's a ton of bike for a relatively low price. Estimate the actual miles you will ride and the service costs. A valve service will be due at 30K miles, but might be in spec and only a check for clearance, no cams off needing shims. The service price doesn't reflect that unfortunately. They just button it back up and call it good, which is why it's worth DIY.

If the front suspension is sloppy, offer $500 less for that service by bringing a tape measure and a friend. Hold it up the forks and have the friend compress, then simply announce "this bike needs a front fork rebuild." Unless they break out a receipt showing suspension service within the last five years, its a true statement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the market as well. Read this first.
Many folks dont know to how to list it and mess this.
2010-2012 Testastretta 11. Manual or Ohlins (on S and Touring). The rear with Ohlins is factory tuned for 180lbs. If you are on heavier side you need spring upgrade on rear is what came out of my research. Ohlins is much more serviceable than skyhook. If you get Ohlins you could also get Ohlins SCU ($400+) to make it semi active suspension.
2013-2014 Testastretta 11 refined. This has much better build for city use in the low rev ranges. Skyhook Only. No ohlins. Base or ABS doesn't have any electronics in suspension but S and GT has Skyhook, which is active suspension. Pikes Peak came with Termi and Forged rims, saves around 20 lbs.

9k and 15k are the service intervals. 15k is Desmo and costs about $1500-2000. Cambelts and Fork fluids (do fork seal as well) needs to be changed at 5 year intervals. Also be considerate about brake, clutch and radiator fluids apart from engine. Tires are typically due at 5 year mark.

If you want the engine to be somewhat rough then pick 2010-12 and if you want it little refined 13-14 should be the pick. Some folks dislike Skyhook due to its active involvement on track days. If you get the the Std/Base, you are missing on the electronics in the suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
8CD536B4-DC8A-4CEA-BE41-7327DF725E31.png
B9CD2183-11F0-4C49-8DCD-8DD135A0F042.png
7AFD2406-AFFF-4E9C-9C8A-CED8A10A14E0.png
Picking up a 2010 MTS with 8000 miles tomorrow.
Buying it from the original owner. Its practically brand new. One minor scratch. Garaged its entire life. The suspension has already been dialed in for the bigger guys.

Wow, does that thing have some power in Sport mode.. Surprised me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the base model I believe. Ask for records and if you didnt find any ask for last cam belt replacement (due every 5 years) and fork seal and fork fluid as well as clutch and brake fluid. Better off replacing all the fluids if history is sketchy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts