Discussion Starter #1
i have just received a new set of grips from ProGel,,
here comes the stupid question,,
how can i install it??:eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
easy way

Compressed air is your friend. just peal up the inside corner of the old grip and blast the air in there while pulling / twisting off. To install, the same in reverse.

If a compressor is not avialable you could just cut off the old Being carefull on the throttle side of the throttle mechinism. Then using lightly soaped water slide the new grips on. If using this meathod don't ride for at least 24 hours since they need to completly dry out first.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I use golf grip double sided tape. It has a couple of benefits, one is installation is a breeze, you can get water or solvent (mineral spirits) activated tape. The water activated takes a while to set, solvent sets rather quickly. Super easy to slide the grip on and make adjustments vs the grip glue which can stick quickly leaving the grip half on or twisted....some glues are actually like a super glue which makes clean up a PITA.
Also found I can increase the grip size, which is great for big hands and it also quells vibrations in the grip. I've heard of hairspray also.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Steal the Final Net from your old lady (or Mother, that's some old shit), that works real well. Cut the old ones off unless you want to put them on the brooms in the garage, they'll fit. If you use the grip glue, you have to be quick, that stuff sets up real quick and will stick them on halfway.

Also, I've had a grip come off before when doing a stand up wheelie, scared the crap out of me. I get the ones with the safety wire grooves and wire them on also. Some people think it looks hillbilly, but I think it looks total race.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Grip glue from Renthal, buy one tube and it lasts forever. Always saftey wire, there is no go reason not to. Make sure you put the right one on ethe right side. They are different diameters (throtttle larger).

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Compressed air is your friend. just peal up the inside corner of the old grip and blast the air in there while pulling / twisting off. To install, the same in reverse.

If a compressor is not avialable you could just cut off the old Being carefull on the throttle side of the throttle mechinism. Then using lightly soaped water slide the new grips on. If using this meathod don't ride for at least 24 hours since they need to completly dry out first.
Compressed air is great for removing golf grips too! Just wrap a thick magazine around the grip, inject the air and off it comes....you can also save motorcycle grips this way...the mag keeps the grip from over-expanding.
Just another tid-bit of useless info by me.:D

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
+1 on the hairspray. Been doing that way for 20+ years. Never had a grip come off inadvertently either. I'd have made a squishy if I had one come off in a wheelie! :O

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a razor blade to remove them. I dont have a compressor. To install I use 3m spray adhesive. Spray it into the grip and it slides right on. wipe off the excess and safety wire the ends and middle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
cut them off with a razor and then before installing the new grips, spray them on the inside with a small amount of spray paint. once the paint dries, they wont move.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
+1 on the hairspray. Been doing that way for 20+ years. Never had a grip come off inadvertently either. I'd have made a squishy if I had one come off in a wheelie! :O
+1 on that... just don't go cheap-o on the hairspray-get a high propellant can. I went cheap and the stuff never dried up. My grip was slipping all over. I had to remove them and underneath I found grimy black liquid that the stuff turned into.

Rubber cement is good to hold the grips in lieu of actual grip glue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Strangely enough WD-40 is the wonder lube/glue. Easy to get on, easy to position, let it sit for a few hours and you pretty much have to cut the grips off when you want them off. I've been doing this for atleast 15 years now on motos and bicycles! I know its sound crazy...but give it a shot on your bicycle to give you the faith!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts