Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised earlier I would post when the quarter fairing from Omars arrived.
I have been a bit busy as of late, did a Saddle Sore 1000 one weekend and sold the Monster the next and that took my attention away from the GT.

The Fairing has made its way to Maine from California and I am slowly working on the installation. There is a Universal bracket kit supplied, however there are no instructions included so its a true "do it your self" project. As of Right now I have the Fairing about where I want it but need to fab up a set of risers to go from the clip ons to the "wings" of the top of the fairing. I believe this will steady it better than any other method, and hey Ducati was kind enough to provide those nice little holes to mount Mirrors in that I would have to plug otherwise!

I will also be replacing those Ugly fasteners with some nice stainless button caps soon.

Paint will be next, Red with the white sport stripes... Oh boy Oh boy..
Jester

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorta zactlty! If you can recall previous posts by this not so esteemed author that is exactly that i have in mind. Evoking the spirit of the sport tourers of the past. Missing my old R100Rs lead to this whole experiment in madness and wallet lighting in the first place.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=60937

Hepco Bags are not to far off in the future.

I am still not excited over the Mirrors....

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ohhh… this is a replika of an old BMW fairing…

looks like the one from R90s
Well spotted that man!

I recall the launch of the R90S with that style of fairing, it was a lovely bike that UK bike magazines often tested against the Kawasaki Z1. I'm now reminiscing for the BMW R80/7 I used to have many years ago - Halogen Days!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yup, Omar's makes a great fairing! I've had mine for about 3 years, but I didn't get the mounting squared away satisfactorily until I mated the Omar's fairing with Trevor's mounting hardware. Very expensive route that I hadn't planned on, but it worked out really well:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yup, Omar's makes a great fairing! I've had mine for about 3 years, but I didn't get the mounting squared away satisfactorily until I mated the Omar's fairing with Trevor's mounting hardware. Very expensive route that I hadn't planned on, but it worked out really well:D

That's a good-looking 1/4 fairing, and a lot cheaper than most of the other aftermarket fairings for the Spot Classics which are well over $1000.

http://omarsdtr.com/fairnew4.html

How's she ride with the 1/4 fairing on? Any turbulence or instability at speed?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Realizing that I am still not completely satisfied with the mounting of the fairing I would love to ask. What is this Trevor's mounting hardware kit you speak of? and if it at all possible do you have a side profile shot of what position you ended up with?

Right now its to far forward, yet wit the gauge lowering kit installed and to gain the shield height I want this is about the only option I have....

Looking for any insight, opinions or pithy quips anyone might have to offer.

Jester.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Trevor is the guy at ProItalia Long Beach who developed his own fairing and sold them to the public for over $1000. I bought one, was really impressed with the hardware but disappointed with the fairing itself. I used his hardware and Omar's fairing. Here's a side shot:

Realizing that I am still not completely satisfied with the mounting of the fairing I would love to ask. What is this Trevor's mounting hardware kit you speak of? and if it at all possible do you have a side profile shot of what position you ended up with?

Right now its to far forward, yet wit the gauge lowering kit installed and to gain the shield height I want this is about the only option I have....

Looking for any insight, opinions or pithy quips anyone might have to offer.

Jester.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No, the fairing is fine. I just have trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground!:D
That's good to know -- I'm always a little leery of aftermarket fairings...some of them have bad aerodynamics that can make the bike unstable at speed.

What sprocket combo are you using?

I've got a 15 front and 42 rear, which seems to be a happy medium. I can raise the front end if I really want to, but don't feel like I'm fighting a rampant horse all the time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Trevor is the guy at ProItalia Long Beach who developed his own fairing and sold them to the public for over $1000. I bought one, was really impressed with the hardware but disappointed with the fairing itself. I used his hardware and Omar's fairing. Here's a side shot:

Looks good -- are you using handlebar risers? Any clearance issues?

I take it you remove the headlight from the fork brackets and mount it directly to the fairing.

I have a Ducati race kit 1/4 fairing, but I hate to cut a hole in it for the headlight. However, the Ducati mounting brackets might work if the Omar's brackets aren't up to snuff.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure I went down one in front and up two in back. The main reason it won't stay down however is the 98HP and 380 pound wet weight. A real screamer!

That's good to know -- I'm always a little leery of aftermarket fairings...some of them have bad aerodynamics that can make the bike unstable at speed.

What sprocket combo are you using?

I've got a 15 front and 42 rear, which seems to be a happy medium. I can raise the front end if I really want to, but don't feel like I'm fighting a rampant horse all the time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No risers and no clearance issues, and I used the stock fork brackets. The fairing is centered on the headlight, and the rest is bolted up to Trevor's hardware. I think I just got lucky!

Looks good -- are you using handlebar risers? Any clearance issues?

I take it you remove the headlight from the fork brackets and mount it directly to the fairing.

I have a Ducati race kit 1/4 fairing, but I hate to cut a hole in it for the headlight. However, the Ducati mounting brackets might work if the Omar's brackets aren't up to snuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good, The only Issue I can see for me is the mounting of stock gauges. I may have to fab Up some upper mounts myself. I have been looking at some stainless marine hardware that would compliment the look and be functional as well. Again, not cheap and will require the help of a skilled welder.

I have to wrap this up tomorrow, as I want to get it into paint THIS week!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts