Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised to notice The New EnduroMST is fitted with Double sided swing arm ? .Is that stronger & lighter than Singlesided swing arm ? Can we try same on New Multistrada? & Reduce weight ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
" Ducati has employed the use of a shell-cast aluminum double-sided swingarm that is longer than the single-sided units found on other Multistrada models."
That swingarm is longer than the SSA's on our bikes...you may risk altering the bike geometry, and not in a good way.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Surprised to notice The New EnduroMST is fitted with Double sided swing arm ? .Is that stronger & lighter than Singlesided swing arm ? Can we try same on New Multistrada? & Reduce weight ?
Yes, a double swinger can be both made to be more rigid and lighter, but it's easier to do routine maintenance (remove the wheel, chain adjustment) on most singled swingarms. At least it is nicely implemented in the eccentric system Ducati uses. And of course, it looks nice.

On a machine designed for off-road action, there may be an advantage to the double in respect to rigidity and weight.

Read here.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
If you plan on flying a 500lb bike you want the suspension to be as strong as possible... but I'll keep my single sided arm because it's one of the few areas where the MTS is easier to work on than any other bike I own. I also think the casting is a fine piece of design work, much sexier than the paired box arms we'd otherwise have.

Reactions: Sco

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you plan on flying a 500lb bike you want the suspension to be as strong as possible... but I'll keep my single sided arm because it's one of the few areas where the MTS is easier to work on than any other bike I own.
Having just read the rear wheel removal thread and knowing you have to remove the exhaust cans I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I haven't removed the rear wheel yet, but it sure sounds like a pain in the butt compared to a regular swing arm...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Having just read the rear wheel removal thread and knowing you have to remove the exhaust cans I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I haven't removed the rear wheel yet, but it sure sounds like a pain in the butt compared to a regular swing arm...
The only real deal is breaking loose that rear axle nut for the first time...it's on there TIGHT! Removing the muffler tips is a doddle compared to that. The upside to SSA's is that chain alignment is more accurate than a conventional swingarm and chain and sprocket life seem to be much better.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
I worried about that too but the can comes off in a couple minutes, the wheel even quicker... no dealing with chain or caliper. You can do it without getting your hands dirty, and no adjusting the chain required when you remount.

It takes me longer to get the tools out than to actually do the job.

Reactions: Hooli

·
Registered
869 Posts
I worried about that too but the can comes off in a couple minutes, the wheel even quicker... no dealing with chain or caliper. You can do it without getting your hands dirty, and no adjusting the chain required when you remount.

It takes me longer to get the tools out than to actually do the job.
Totally agree!!!

Single sided swing arms are a breeze. Easiest wheels to change including front and rear....

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Get a rattle gun.....a good one. It avoids all the drama and hey, new tool! The can removal takes all of about one minute. You can clean them up real pretty once they are off. The oh so easy routine for chain adjustment the eccentric makes possible renders the can removal trivial. It's a lovely piece, that swingarm, but I'm sure Ducati knows why they opted not to use it on the new bike.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
Get a rattle gun.....a good one. It avoids all the drama and hey, new tool! The can removal takes all of about one minute. You can clean them up real pretty once they are off. The oh so easy routine for chain adjustment the eccentric makes possible renders the can removal trivial. It's a lovely piece, that swingarm, but I'm sure Ducati knows why they opted not to use it on the new bike.
I just use a 3/4" breaker bar for removal and iirc a 275lb-ft torque wrench (also has a long arm) for installation... piece of cake (may not be a piece of cake if you're a really light guy... the torque spec on that nut is stiff).

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I just use a 3/4" breaker bar for removal and iirc a 275lb-ft torque wrench (also has a long arm) for installation... piece of cake (may not be a piece of cake if you're a really light guy... the torque spec on that nut is stiff).
Hi Dave! A good impact wrench is probably the easiest way to go at it for most people, but there's always this gem that has clearly stood the test of time:

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Archimedes

The reason I like the power tool is that you don't feel like you're lifting the bike. Plus I'm lazy. Gotta have the big torque wrench to put it back together of course.

·
Registered
592 Posts
remove the exhaust cans I'm not sure I'd agree with this
Exhaust cans are a 5-10 minute removal , and rear nut is easy to remove as long as it has had proper grease applied to spindle and nut threads as per Ducati .

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts