Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since this might have been overlooked (in the Hyper and SS forums):

California is preparing to introduce a bill that would mandate smog testing for motorcycles, for years going back to MY2000. This would mean that you could only run stock exhausts (or CARB approved, which don't exist yet) and no mods to your ECU or airbox and no removal of the carbon canister.

The bill's status and text can be found here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_435&sess=CUR&house=B&author=pavley
The latest is that the bill has been sent to the Transportation and Housing Committee.

CARB has been granted an exception to approve exhausts for motorcycles that meet emissions regs, but no word on ECU or fuel mapping. This would only apply to new exhausts, and not current parts, forcing owners to buy new parts if they no longer have the originals.

Information about the CARB exemption can be found here: http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?id=2018431

We need an organized letter writing or calling campaign to persuade Sacramento that MY2000 and newer (up to when the bill takes effect) should be excluded from testing. I am working on a form letter to copy/paste to email to representatives. However, personalized letters are more meaningful, and calling is preferred as it seems to have a biggest benefit.

You can find your representatives by zip code here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

The threads are here and here:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=60333

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=60475

CARB estimates that the percentage of modified exhausts in CA (SoCal observations) is at 85%. There are a lot of people that would be affected by this legislation. Let's try and consolidate an effort to prevent this bill from passing, and use this thread to do so.

If California is serious about curbing emissions, there are plenty of other targets that pollute more than bikes. No other group would be as affected as us, and we are being targeted because motorcycles are deemed recreational in nature. We are perceived as a week lobby (passage of the CPSIA, which had almost no opposition from mcy groups), which can be pushed around. Let's show them this is not the case!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you haven't already done so, please contact your representatives and let them know you want an exemption for MY2000 and newer bikes, because of the high percentage of modified exhausts and the cost to comply with the law.

You can find your representatives here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

Also, you can contact the Senate committee members directly about this bill:

List of contact numbers is here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/sen-addresses.html

Transportation and Housing
Lowenthal (Chair),
Huff (Vice-Chair),
Ashburn, DeSaulnier, Harman, Hollingsworth, Kehoe,
Oropeza, Pavley, Simitian and Wolk.

Chief Consultant: Carrie Cornwell.

Consultants: Art Bauer, Mark Stivers and Jennifer Gress.

Assistants: Tracey Hurd-Parker and Mark Teemer.

Phone: (916) 651-4121. Room 2209.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I knew this was coming, especially if there was a way to make a nickle from it. Next will be lane sharing, really a previlege since most states don't allow it. I've always said the day lane splitting is made illegal, my bike is going up for sale. I have to admit, why should we think bikes should be exempt from smog control while cars are not? Today's bikes produce high horsepower and likely equal parts pollution. Since many are never satisfied with stock power or sound, we like to modify things. I don't think the era of modified exhausts are over, its a stumbling block before the aftermarket exhaust engineers come up with both a legal and cosmetically OK product. The've done it with cars so no reason to believe they can't with bikes. Hell, I even managed to get CARB approved full headers for a suburban I used to own.

Its inevitable that laws are going to be passed in one form or version or another, I think its our duty to rise up to at least minimize the impact. There are a hundred what ifs here so my stance would taking a stand against it alltogether. However, I think the legislators would do better if they would concentrate their efforts first on noise pollution emitted by straight pipes on Harleys.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Frustrating

I just attempted to email my Congressman, Ted Gaines and after writing a fairly lengthly piece, I was told it exceeded too many characters and there were some blanks I didn't fill out. I checked the form, I filled in every blank and tried to copy my response so I could fax it to him. No go.

I did bring up the point, especially with our namebrand that we contribute only a fraction of pollutants compared to cars because of engine size and less miles driven. I told him we should be thanked for this not regulated. I also felt if they wanted to do some good, go after noise polluters first, once you do that the smog issue will fall in line. Its way more annoying putting up with the "loud pipes saves lives" crowd than us low mile types.

This might be the once time my Republican Representative and Assemblyman may help. They are known in these parts to saying no to every piece of legislation that comes across their desks. I'm not sure about the Assemblyman, but the Representative is that way. In fact I was going to write him and ask for his resignation since he doesn't do anything but say no. A monkey can do that.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
John,

During the TARP proposals I wrote letters to both US Senators and my state representatives. The only letters I have received back from any of them was a form letter from Feinstein's office saying that even though 87,000 of 91,000 respondants were against it, she voted for it anyway because she "knew something needed to be done". I also wrote the same congresspeople about the consumer protection bill that resulted, among other things, to prevent sales of small motorcycles, and spare parts anywhere. I got no response from any of them.

All letters were politely written expressing my view, except maybe one remark asking a congress-person if he had ever seen a 6 year old eating an engine case. Apparently common sense isn't that common.

The state of our government is pretty darn sad, and the more I think about it, the more my blood pressure sky-rockets. It's past the partisan politics, someone needs to tell our elected officials that thinking is required. The part that bothers me the most is the old saying, we "get the government we deserve". I think we deserve better, and this forum is a good place to start.

·
Administrator
12,310 Posts
I'm writing letters asking that it not be passed but if it gets passed I am asking that it will start with the current model year that the bill is passed. Going back to model year 2000 is going to really cost a lot of people money and frustration.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thanks to SE84 for taking the trouble to track down the people (and links) we need to appeal to, and thanks to Scott for supporting this cause.

Let's all do our part for this issue and others that are important to us as citizens and motorcyclists.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I hate CARB those bastards have nothing else better to do, but mess it up for the rest of us. This is one of the reasons California is probably in a budget crunch. Unnecessary spending of funds, but teachers are getting laid off and these guys are not!! Not just motorcycles are getting affected by these CARB people also the car modifying community. I am down to take this Bill down!!!

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I'm writing letters asking that it not be passed but if it gets passed I am asking that it will start with the current model year that the bill is passed. Going back to model year 2000 is going to really cost a lot of people money and frustration.

Thats the way I feel as well Scott. Maybe SE84 can draft something to that effect, because something is coming down the pipe, it was just a matter of time. I believe your request is very reasonable and fair.

Thanks markg, good points.

More of us should obviously get behind this movement. This should be posted in both the Nor Cal and So Cal sections.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i'm sorry ,i don't get it.you live in a state where theres so much pollution it shadows LA.add we are in the golden age of motorcycles where its very possible they will never go much faster or handle better than now.and yet you won't even comprimise by leaving on the stock exhaust and evap tank when its common knowlage both will have little effect on performance?

·
Banned
389 Posts
i'm sorry ,i don't get it.you live in a state where theres so much pollution it shadows LA.add we are in the golden age of motorcycles where its very possible they will never go much faster or handle better than now.and yet you won't even comprimise by leaving on the stock exhaust and evap tank when its common knowlage both will have little effect on performance?
while i most definitely agree with this above statement i think the bill should not be retroactive. and this is not because my machines are modded ;) , but because it's simply unfair to force a new measure like this retroactively. having said that i have no problem with a bill like this starting at a specific date in the future -- this will give termi and others enough time to sort out their aftermarket products.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not only are we in the golden age of motorcycles, this is probably the last 10-15 years of petrol bikes being the norm. I really think that we'll mostly be riding electrics in the very near future. Market forces are going to take care of the pollution problem, not the state this time.

That being said, I think they should leave the dinosaur powered models alone, to become diminished in peace.

BTW: I am working on a letter...been tied up this wknd.

Edit: Attaching a first draft of letter.

Please let me know what you think of the letter, and what changes should be made.

I also found a batch of interesting documents from the CARB proceedings on this topic. I don't have enough space to attach it. Rapidshare kinda sucks. If you want me to email it to you, PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This type of thing is one of the reasons I moved out of CA. Though it is happening everywhere in the US, the nanny state that CA has become is making it so an honest man cannot live his life with any type of quality, without breaking some law or another. It truly is a sad state of affairs. :(

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there again. (I grew up in LA).

Actually I think about moving back every winter when the snow piles up here, but then I read about things like this. Too bad about the nanny state mentality there. It really is a beautiful state.

Debby

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't think there is an intrinsic disagreement here. My '92 Ducati still has the evaporative can, as does my 2002 BMW. Cleaner air is more important to me than the 1 lb. I would save.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but it's the retroactive part that is creating the backlash, that and it is simply another way for Arnold to dip into our pockets. There has been no visible and publicly known effort in this state to operate more efficiently. It is simply spend and collect, and find the low hanging fruit to collect more.

The disagreement is a question of motive. If we want cleaner air, and all of us do, why do we not regulate the millions of smoking yard blowers and trimmers and diesel trucks which are huge contributors to the air problem? What we are looking for is rational thought, not knee jerk reactions to some clown raising his hand in a meeting and saying, "let's regulate motorcycles more and collect more money."

There is a book by the late Michael Crighton called "State of Fear". It's a novel, but talks about alot of these issues, and has many factual citations that would amaze you to read them. The premise in the end is a call for rational and educated decision making. I think that is always the best place to start. We owe it to ourselves to be educated on issues (beyond popular media) and be politically active if we care about maintaining our rights.

·
Banned
389 Posts
This type of thing is one of the reasons I moved out of CA. Though it is happening everywhere in the US, the nanny state that CA has become is making it so an honest man cannot live his life with any type of quality, without breaking some law or another. It truly is a sad state of affairs. :(
unfortunately we still need the nanny state so long as we have idiots buying houses (and no i'm not referring to the honest folks that lost their jobs but to the zero down morons who never figured out their $) they can't afford and crooked banks lending this money out while reselling the mortgages in ponzi-like derivative schemes (and giving out bonuses on the taxpayer's dime).

my biggest fear is the sound or lack thereof of the impending electric bikes. i hope to keep my tricolore ;)

move from the gorgeous CA or anything state but there you are with yourself and big government still by your side. you can't escape, only by degree and seemingly so.............but the la cops and CHIPS or whatever they're called hiding in bushes -- don't get me started.....

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
my biggest fear is the sound or lack thereof of the impending electric bikes. i hope to keep my tricolore ;)
You know the first mod people will put on their bikes when they are all electric is a modulated sound system that makes it sound like a big V-Twin :D

Just put exhaust-looking pipes on the back with speakers in them, connected to an MP3 player that picks different loops based on the throttle position.

No, it's not perfect, but it would make the ride a little less sterile.

You could even build a device that would be a rotating cylinder to mimic the vibrations of a twin.

God, that would be awful tarting up an electric bike to behave like an IC engine.

My big concern with e-Bikes that no one has talked about from what I can tell, is whether or not there will be regenerative braking that feels like engine braking. When Jay Leno first got his Y2K bike, he said it felt too strange to roll off the throttle and have no braking effect. Plus, it upsets the balance of the bike.

And just one or two gears...seems like a scooter at that point. :(

I guess Honda's HFT is no different in operation.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I hate the horrible sound stock pipes tend to make. While I love the sound my aftermarket pipes bring out of my Duc.

But...... it might be pretty wild (at least until the novelty wears off) It might be neat to hear that wild little electric motor hum as a true sport bike performance machine whipped by!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts