Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Finally gettin my 06 SC 1000. Here's the thing though... I live in LA, CA and the bike is in Albuquerque, NM... I couldn't stand it if it got crated and shipped and something happened to it... hell no. So I've decided to go to NM, pick it up and ride it back home. New Mexico -> Arizona -> California. According to Google maps, trip time comes close to 12 hours. I'm gonna try to make it in a day... through the desert... crazy? maybe... What do you guys think? Oh and I've read the long thread on out-of-state registration iin California. But any recent owners who've gone through the process? Could use some updated tips. Thanks

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Depending on the timing, you're welcom to crash at my place overnight in Phoenix. Have a garage to look over the bike, lube the chain, etc. for the ride across the dessert to CA.

Albuquerque, NM to here isn't too bad. And neither is Phx to LA. It's boring, so kind of a zen thing. It's a state of mind to be able to cruise that far. My only concern for you would be doing it cold turkey without having seat time on the bike to get used to the riding position. You will probably feel beat by the time you get home.

Will you just wear a backpack? Or get a tank/tail/saddle bags for the trip? The only thing you NEED besides your riding gear is water/gatorade and cell phone.

·
Registered
517 Posts
+1 to dietrich's reply
Congrats on the new bike!! 12 hours of riding is pretty much challenging, especially if it's the first time you ride the bike, but not impossible.
It's doable, but better break the ride into 2 days or more...
I bought a monster a few years ago from out of state, and rode it 500 miles the first day. Got to admit Monsters are much more comfortable than SCs though...

~k

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I would defiantly take up the offer to crash (not a good choice of words) and break up the ride. 06 has the lowest set of clipons and take some getting used to as others have said.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Crash at Dietrich's and check out some of his mods. Maybe you can get a set of gauge brackets while you're there if you ask him real nice like:).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the offer dietrich... Just got back. Did the whole trip in one shot and now I can't move... I'm broken... Rode 817.8 miles leaving PJs Ducati in Albuquerque, NM at 3:40pm local time and got home to downtown Los Angeles at 3:39am... someone said zen? more like zoned out hahaha. But I had a few serious buzz killers to my new duccie... I got a speeding ticket for 103mph in Arizona... nice right? Anyone driving westbound I-40 at night... WATCH OUT!!! the highway patrol jump out of the black of night... thanks officer... and the other (which is seriously embarassing but oh well) is that I dropped the bike... yes I dropped it. Sooooo stupid... I'm at a gas station sitting on the bike, my arms are vibrating, my shoulders feel like someone is stabbing me with knives, and my legs are jello... I start stretching my right arm over my head, lose balance.... and down she goes... I had no strength in my legs to catch myself... luckily no scratches or cracks or anything... except the very tip of my brake lever broke off... big deal. I was gonna get crg or pazzo's anyway hahaha... Well, to anyone thinking of doing what I did? Yeah it's possible, but you're in for a world of hurt... I was already on my way and didn't get a chance to read all these replies... oh well, so it goes...

still got my duccie though!!! WOOT WOOT!!! see you 'round

·
Registered
213 Posts
Choda,
Congrats with your new bike.
Quite a story there. Glad you made it in one piece (nearly).
Sounds VERY real, painfully real, and also, forgive me, somewhat predictable.
I mean, it's that sort of odyssee that comes to mind when I consider picking up a bike in person somewhere >600 miles away.
Which invariably makes me reach out to a shipper - all in all, it comes down to a fraction of the cost and of the risk.
I do realize however, I'm missing out on some very unique experiences :D

I hope your license will survive your mega-ticket :( - a bit surprised they let you keep the bike...
Anyway, get a good rest, and enjoy the duck !!

vitalc

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've registered 2 out of state bikes in the last couple years. Go to AAA if you can. They need to see the stickers on the bike for smog emission compliant stuff, engine number and VIN on the frame. no big deal.

Congrats on the bike but maybe you should have stopped and enjoyed the ride?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Getting run down like that and low on energy is why you should break up a trip like that, (Live and Learn) good thing it happened while stopped, bummer though, good luck with your new ride.
I see from your pics that the ride already has the higher riser's so that made the trip a little more bearable.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Hey, thanks for the offer dietrich... Just got back. Did the whole trip in one shot and now I can't move... I'm broken... Rode 817.8 miles leaving PJs Ducati in Albuquerque, NM at 3:40pm local time and got home to downtown Los Angeles at 3:39am... someone said zen? more like zoned out hahaha. But I had a few serious buzz killers to my new duccie... I got a speeding ticket for 103mph in Arizona... nice right? Anyone driving westbound I-40 at night... WATCH OUT!!! the highway patrol jump out of the black of night... thanks officer... and the other (which is seriously embarassing but oh well) is that I dropped the bike... yes I dropped it. Sooooo stupid... I'm at a gas station sitting on the bike, my arms are vibrating, my shoulders feel like someone is stabbing me with knives, and my legs are jello... I start stretching my right arm over my head, lose balance.... and down she goes... I had no strength in my legs to catch myself... luckily no scratches or cracks or anything... except the very tip of my brake lever broke off... big deal. I was gonna get crg or pazzo's anyway hahaha... Well, to anyone thinking of doing what I did? Yeah it's possible, but you're in for a world of hurt... I was already on my way and didn't get a chance to read all these replies... oh well, so it goes...

still got my duccie though!!! WOOT WOOT!!! see you 'round
And you were concerned about shipping the bike? At least the damage was minor. After a few days of rest you'll be right back on it. Congrats!

One thing though. You can't really be faulting the cop for writing you at 103MPH right. I mean come on. The speed limit is 75. You could have easily gotten away w/ 85 to 90 at that time of the morning. Don't you think 103 is pushing it a little bit? Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I found out on my recent trip home from LA to Phx that the GT cruises at 105. It's the sweet spot. :cool:

Choda - Congrats on your new bike! Hope you have as much fun on it as I have on mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And you were concerned about shipping the bike? At least the damage was minor. After a few days of rest you'll be right back on it. Congrats!

One thing though. You can't really be faulting the cop for writing you at 103MPH right. I mean come on. The speed limit is 75. You could have easily gotten away w/ 85 to 90 at that time of the morning. Don't you think 103 is pushing it a little bit? Just my $.02
Well it wasn't morning... it was around 11 at night... and freezing... and dark... and still had half my journey ahead of me... got me kinda anxious to hurry up and get to my next stop you know? And honestly, I had my GPS hooked up and everything... I wasn't doin 103... It was like mid 90s... He said he got me on radar but I wasn't about to sit there and argue with the guy in the middle of nowhere... he was nice enough to let me know gas stops along the way though... hahahha. I just hope this doesn't interfere with my registration....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Choda,

Congrats on the new bike! There are a ton of guys around L.A. with SC's. DGJ and I head out nearly every weekend - somewhere. We'd love to meet you out and check out your new ride. I'll send you a PM the next time we head out.

Awesome that your first jaunt was from New Mexico to L.A.. Hell of a jaunt. A lot of people say that the riding position is approaching unbearable for that type of long distance riding...but...I haven't found that to be true. I am sure you learned a lot spending that much time in the saddle in a day.

Don't worry about dropping the bike. Everyone has done it. Most of us more than a few times under far less taxing scenarios. At least you now have a nice excuse to go out and buy some new BLING. I have the CRG's, although the Pazzo's have always interested me as well...

Shiny side up -> Justin

·
Registered
985 Posts
Your wrists will be destroyed and your ass will be in tatters, but the ride will be fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the congrats and advice and stuff.
Well, I got it registered no problem... only had to wait 3 hours at DMV but
it was worth it... hahaha. Got a Massaro clutch cover and a Zard exhaust on the way. Will be heading to Pro Italia this Sunday for Cafe Desmo and lookin forward to seeing some of you there.

On another note, Dietrich... since you live in Arizona maybe you can tell me if it's worth it for me to go to court for the ticket. Are they pretty lenient out there or what? You think I can get a break on the fine? Maybe no point on the record? Let me know what you think. That goes for anyone else in Arizona too. Could use the advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
On another note, Dietrich... since you live in Arizona maybe you can tell me if it's worth it for me to go to court for the ticket.
The advice I see most often is it's always worth it to try and fight it. Even just on the off chance that the officer doesn't show and the ticket is dismissed, which happens more than you might think. Personally there's no way I could afford a lawyer, but I would show up and try and fight it. If you're out of state it might depend on the total cost/hassle impact to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The advice I see most often is it's always worth it to try and fight it. Even just on the off chance that the officer doesn't show and the ticket is dismissed, which happens more than you might think. Personally there's no way I could afford a lawyer, but I would show up and try and fight it. If you're out of state it might depend on the total cost/hassle impact to you.
Correction.. if it was a state trooper that ticketed you that means he HAS to show up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts