Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bought my dream bike, a 2006 Ducati sport classic ! took delivery a couple of weeks ago and waiting for my friends shop in Brooklyn to have time to take her in to give her a once over, an exhaust (with ECU tune), a tail tidy, and maybe risers from a ducati ST4 (sorry purists).

Was wondering if anybody here has pictures of a yellow bike with a black paul smart zard system ? I cant decide between the brushed aluminum and the black systems and not many pictures available.

Any other tips/tricks/recommendations on the bike are always welcome!

thanks
joe

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats!! Beautiful bike :) I got mine two years ago and still fall in love every time I ride it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oh man, that's the one right there. My #1 super duper tripple A tip, is to keep all stock parts in as good of condition as humanly possible.

Also if it's super common to drop a tooth on the front sprocket to make the bike more responsive and easier to ride at super low speed. I know I know...just go faster. But honestly, with the better gearing it feels like my SC feels actually physically lighter because it's just always revving in a happier place!

Oh, and the tanks swell, mine is kinda swollen, I don't really care currently. But just look that up on here, maybe yours has already been internally coated. I guess it's something to watch for over time.

They also have junky forks kinda, I didn't care that much, but when mine needed new seals I put in new internals and it's much nicer. I'd do it if you need to get into the forks for other reasons, but not till then.

These are the best bikes, really, beautiful, just enough power to have fun, not so much you can't be a total ham fist on the throttle.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
172 Posts
Congrats on the SC, looks beautiful, especially in that color and that year. Ill second what Erics said, its hard not to mod the bike but try to keep the stock parts and keep them tucked away in good condition. I bought mine stock and did a few easy mods: new headlight, ditched those ugly horns and put them under the air box, and also ditched the ugly lollipop turn signals for a custom pair of motogadget pins, and a battery mod for weight and performance.

Folks also recommend a updated clutch slave, new R/R, sprocket, forks and shock.
This forum is a well of information on these bikes, peruse and you won't be disappointed.

Cheers and keep posting pics

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man, that's the one right there. My #1 super duper tripple A tip, is to keep all stock parts in as good of condition as humanly possible.

Also if it's super common to drop a tooth on the front sprocket to make the bike more responsive and easier to ride at super low speed. I know I know...just go faster. But honestly, with the better gearing it feels like my SC feels actually physically lighter because it's just always revving in a happier place!

These are the best bikes, really, beautiful, just enough power to have fun, not so much you can't be a total ham fist on the throttle.
Thank you so much for the advice. Definitely going to keep the stock parts in a safe and wrapped place! Ive only put about 40 miles on the bike and dropping a tooth on the front sprocket definitely sounds like a great idea. I'm mostly going light to light and crawling around, and the bike didn't feel like it liked going under 10-15mph at all. My first thought was, i'm going to roast this clutch lol but your idea is way better. thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Like Erics said, that 14t front sprocket change is the cheapest quickest mod you can do. Much more suited to the street as they are geared so high, barley get out of second in city stock. set of adjustable showa forks from a similar year monster s2r is also a relatively cheap and easy upgrade for suspension. Slide right in and have much better action the the stock marzoc's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just picked one up myself a couple months ago. Total dream bike. Couldn't be happier. I did the 520 chain / sprocket conversion and went 15 / 43 on the sprockets. I read a couple places on this forum that the 14t front sprocket causes the chain to make a lot of contact with the swing arm. I'd love to hear some of the folks that have actually made the switch chime in on this because if it's not that big a deal I'll buy a 14t today.

Congrats on the bike!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Multiplier, you missed a good opportunity to do it the best way and that would have been to go up a couple teeth on rear when you switched out whole set. The one tooth drop n front uses the original chain so it may contact SA when out of adjustment a bit more than doing whole setup, but minor if you keep an eye on it.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,287 Posts
set of adjustable showa forks from a similar year monster s2r is also a relatively cheap and easy upgrade for suspension. Slide right in and have much better action the the stock marzoc's.
IMHO all Sportclassics need a fork upgrade, but I would not take the S2R forks road. Although they seem to have rebound adjustment, it is not functional. More info here:

I'd check some superbike fork options instead of the S2R 1000 forks. I learned the hard way that there are "good showas" and "bad showas" in the Ducati lineup.

It has been discussed by several forum members in ducati.ms and ducatimonsterforum.org
You can find info here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/412170-st2-forks-gt1k.html

and here:

Showa Blues, part 1&2.
Be careful... there are 2 types of adjustable Ducati Showa.... "crappy Ducati Showa" and "good Ducati Showa". (Technical difference is short vs long rebound adjuster needle, internal vs external cartridge bleed)

"Crappy showa" have nonfunctional rebound adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Congratulations! You certainly got the right color: that yellow is scientifically proven to be much faster than the red or black ones.

In terms of mods, others may disagree, but I think the most effective mod you can do is find some used five spoke Monster or SuperSport wheels, which can be found cheap either from Gotham Cycle (a site sponsor), or on eBay. The weight difference is unbelievable, and since it's dynamic and unsprung weight, it makes a huge difference in overall performance. It also gives you a much, much bigger selection of tires, all of which are better than the stock donuts.

Like everyone else says, safely store the stock spoked wheels.

Again, congratulations!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great looking bike, congrats!! I can see why you're torn between the stainless and black Zards. They both look great on that bike!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congratulations! You certainly got the right color: that yellow is scientifically proven to be much faster than the red or black ones.

In terms of mods, others may disagree, but I think the most effective mod you can do is find some used five spoke Monster or SuperSport wheels, which can be found cheap either from Gotham Cycle (a site sponsor), or on eBay. The weight difference is unbelievable, and since it's dynamic and unsprung weight, it makes a huge difference in overall performance. It also gives you a much, much bigger selection of tires, all of which are better than the stock donuts.

Again, congratulations!
Anyone got a list of wheels we can swap on? I know that some people do the 999/749 wheels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I realllllllly like the look of the old school spoked wheels that are stock on the bike though.

Again, congratulations!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Anyone got a list of wheels we can swap on? I know that some people do the 999/749 wheels.
Bought my stock 2006 SC1000 in January and the very first mod I did was to buy some FORGED Marchesni 999R wheels. Makes the bike a totally different (better) animal and imo it’s THE mod to do to your SC1000. However spend the extra money and get the MUCH lighter Forged wheels, not the cast wheels from a 999 as their nearly as heavy as the stock wired ones.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,287 Posts
999/749 wheels look great. But a lot of components need to be swapped as well. You will also need a speedo correction device.

ST wheels on the other hand, are a direct swap. I have those.

SS rear wheels will not Work.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
... I'm mostly going light to light and crawling around, and the bike didn't feel like it liked going under 10-15mph at all...
14t front is the fastest, cheapest, easiest method to make the bike enjoyable in such riding conditions. Hell, even on the open road if you don't require 130+mph speeds. The chain will be fine. Later, after you get a better feel of your riding style can you then swap out the front/rear for something to suit you better.

Make sure you swap out the OEM voltage regulator/rectifier for a MOSFET unit...search and you'll find a ton of info. To help pass all that simply go here and buy it: Home.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Nice pic. I have gotten so used to seeing my '06 with the 2 into 1 Termi that I'd forgotten how large the stock exhaust is.

Reactions: jophus
1 - 20 of 32 Posts