Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just picked up my first Ducati earlier in the week. It's a 2011 Hypermotard Evo SP, so far I love it! I have been riding for about 15 years off and on, and come from Japanese 4 cylinder bikes, so it's a big change. Bike is pretty much stock, has some CF rear peg deletes, a CF clutch cover, a DP racing seat, and renthal bars. All the stock parts came with the bike :)

The only thing is, the bike came with 1 key and no code key card. So, I'll have to figure out what to do about that (found a few options here). I've been reading on the forum a bunch, great resource!

Also put a picture of my other bike, 2005 GSX-R1000.

-Clark

Attachments

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,205 Posts
Welcome to the site.

You should definitely get your key cloned so you have another. As for the code card, once they're gone you cannot get a replacement. I'm in the same boat with my 749. If anything ever goes wrong, I'll have to reflash the ECU.

Have fun with the new wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the site.

You should definitely get your key cloned so you have another. As for the code card, once they're gone you cannot get a replacement. I'm in the same boat with my 749. If anything ever goes wrong, I'll have to reflash the ECU.

Have fun with the new wheels.
I remember reading somewhere about a place you can send the ECU to and they'll provide you with a new key and the code. For like $400 or something? Is that what you're referring to?

·
10,205 Posts
Nope. I'm just talking about getting another key. That's all. All cloning does is copy the existing code on your key onto another key. You still won't know what the code is, but at least you have a second key that will start the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. I'm just talking about getting another key. That's all. All cloning does is copy the existing code on your key onto another key. You still won't know what the code is, but at least you have a second key that will start the bike.
Yeah, I had read some horror stories about the keys not working and needing the immobilizer code. I may do that eventually with these guys S.O.S. Diagnostics - Italian Bike Programming and Keys

I'm still reading, but do you know the best place to clone the key?

·
10,205 Posts
I bought this: Ducati Cloneable Transponder Key (KW17T5) JMA�® and took it to my local hardware store to cut and clone. It uses the same protocol as GM cars. Any locksmith with a cloning machine can do the same.

You have a newer model bike, so I don't know if this is the same type of key you have. It should be fine just as long as yours isn't a laser cut key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts