Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Multistrada Pikes Peak Edition
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Wanted to introduce myself to this forum! My name is Patrick and I live in Sparks, Nevada and do a lot of my riding around Tahoe area! Last Monday I purchased my new 2020 Multistrada Pikes Peak edition and I am obsessed already!

I am looking at doing intake, tuner, and exhaust. It comes with the termignoni muffler, but I am looking at adding a headpiece to it and getting rid of the CAT. Can someone point me in the direction of a forum post on here that I can do some research and see what are the better options? I am trying to find a post that talks about it.

Thanks Everyone! Ride Safe!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Talk to your dealership about purchasing the Termignoni race exhaust for your bike. It removes the cat, comes with a tune, and is the only way to do this that won't potentially void your engine warranty. It's an entirely new exhaust system, not just a breadbox removal pipe.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talk to your dealership about purchasing the Termignoni race exhaust for your bike. It removes the cat, comes with a tune, and is the only way to do this that won't potentially void your engine warranty. It's an entirely new exhaust system, not just a breadbox removal pipe.
Thank you! I’ll check with them tomorrow! I am assuming it’s going to be expensive lol!

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
is the only way to do this that won't potentially void your engine warranty.
What is your source for this statement? I hear people say this all the time. You can’t do X or it will void your warranty. But I never see a source for this claim. And people believe it, because it’s conservative to do so.

In 1975, the Magnuson Moss Act was passed. It requires that if a warranty is provided, it must follow certain criteria. One major item being no tie ins. That is, the manufacturer can’t require that you only use a certain brand of parts to maintain the warranty. Nor can it require you to use the dealership for work to maintain the warranty.

If you modify the vehicle in a way that causes a failure, then it’s on you (say you change the exhaust but not the fueling and it runs so lean as to burn up your valves). The warranty doesn’t have to cover it. But that doesn’t mean the whole warranty is void.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What is your source for this statement? I hear people say this all the time. You can’t do X or it will void your warranty. But I never see a source for this claim. And people believe it, because it’s conservative to do so.

In 1975, the Magnuson Moss Act was passed. It requires that if a warranty is provided, it must follow certain criteria. One major item being no tie ins. That is, the manufacturer can’t require that you only use a certain brand of parts to maintain the warranty. Nor can it require you to use the dealership for work to maintain the warranty.

If you modify the vehicle in a way that causes a failure, then it’s on you (say you change the exhaust but not the fueling and it runs so lean as to burn up your valves). The warranty doesn’t have to cover it. But that doesn’t mean the whole warranty is void.
Thank you so much for putting this out there. Exactly what I was thinking...

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Voiding the warranty depends on where you live... since we have folks from all over the world we can't assume anyone is safe from that without knowing more info. In the US owners are protected from this sort of thing (manufacturers forcing you to use their services and products) but that's not true everywhere.

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
@DaveK FYI, the mobile version has flags next to user names showing their country.

The Magnuson Moss Act obviously only applies to the US. For everyone else, educate yourself on your consumer protection laws instead of being a victim of misinformation.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
@DaveK FYI, the mobile version has flags next to user names showing their country.

The Magnuson Moss Act obviously only applies to the US. For everyone else, educate yourself on your consumer protection laws instead of being a victim of misinformation.
Now that you mention it the web version shows flags... never noticed that before (shows how observant I'm not).

·
Registered
137 Posts
OP also mentioned living in Nevada! ;) (Sorry, were not used to people actually introducing themselves in their first post)

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Magnuson Moss Act does allow manufacturers to void a warranty in certain situations, one of them being if the consumer has modified the part that failed. Exhaust mods are considered an engine mod. You can disagree about that categorization, doesn't mean you'll convince the manufacturer you're right, or a court if it comes to that.

Ducati will void your engine warranty, if you install an aftermarket full exhaust system. Don't believe that, call them and ask.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome Patrick! We are neighbors, I also live in Sparks. I live down in Victorian Sq. We will have to meetup. So where did you purchase the bike from? Hope it wasn't from our local Ducati dealership, I can't even mention their name because they suck! Absolutely zero customer service with zero experience working on the bikes. Well maybe a few by now

·
Registered
387 Posts
Oh about the mods, you should reach out to Gorgonzola, he has a 15 PP with just about every mod you could do to a MTS. He lives in S Reno. I've met and hidden with him. Real nice guy

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome Patrick! We are neighbors, I also live in Sparks. I live down in Victorian Sq. We will have to meetup. So where did you purchase the bike from? Hope it wasn't from our local Ducati dealership, I can't even mention their name because they suck! Absolutely zero customer service with zero experience working on the bikes. Well maybe a few by now
I live in highland estates at the end of vista! Way you in the hill lol!

yes I unfortunately did buy it from our local dealer.I wasn’t impressed by them at all, but had a good deal on the bike! they didn’t go over anything with me about the bike and when I called and asked they didn’t know anything.
Yes! Let’s go for a ride sometime!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts