Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so hello everyone.

I just bought a brand new (yes brand new) Ducati 998 with 3 dealer miles on it. It was in someone's private collection so it was always in a temperature controlled environment, everything on it is brand new, no rubber cracking/fading at all.

Here's my question. I understand the bike would need a fluid refresh, new tires. And Ducati says 2 years for the belts but under the assumption that the belts have seen some miles. In my case, should I worry about the belts at all? The dealer in Ohio told me a 2 month wait to get my bike serviced which is outrageous.

Anything else you can think of that I should do on the bike would be appreciated.

Thank You.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would do the belts, too. They can age and crack, and take a set if left in the same position too long, which is likely here. I had two M900 Monsters; mine typically was ridden 11K a year, my wife's 2K a year -- I changed the belts on both every 2 years regardless. If the climate control was carefully managed, this might not be necessary, but it's not that expensive, and a broken belt makes a terrible mess of the engine. Especially if you now expect to ride it like it was intended to be ridden, I'd spend the money.

PhilB

·
Registered
318 Posts
Will you start the engine and ride it? If no, then don't bother.

If yes, then you should apply the same logic you came to on the tire replacement to the belts, i.e. zero miles, but replace based on time. Not really sure why you'd apply different logic in the case of belts.

Curious if it has gas in it. Note that I purchased a MH900e that had been stored in a climate controlled office and not started since 2002. In addition to tires/belts/oil/brake fluid, I had to change the fuel pump, filter and injectors - they were totally shot.

We'd love pics of your new baby!

Reactions: BobbyBoy

·
Administrator
13,025 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms! We are super happy to have you here. Congratulations on amazing low mileage 998.

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for great advice. I ordered the belts and scheduled the service for next week, I'm afraid to fire it up now until I get the belts taken care of.
Rest of the service I'll do myself. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts