Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking in here as I am new to the Ducati world. I just picked up a beautiful 04 Ducati 749s which I plan to turn into my track bike next season. It has been expertly maintained but sustained a spillover so some of the bodywork is dinged rashed up. I'm sure I'll have a zillion questions as I tear this thing down over the winter.

Oh, I am in northeast Ohio so the riding season is pretty much over here.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
Hi and welcome, time to fly south with your new toy for the winter. Plenty of track time here in California and a few other sunny winter spots ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While it isn't California, I do hope to make it down to Jennings in Florida over Christmas.
I'm still sorting what exactly I have. The VIN comes back as a 749S Biposto but if that is the case, it must have undergone some modifications. It has the adjustable monopost subframe, seat and rear cowling. It also has Ohlins front shocks, rear shock and steering damper. Did the S originally have a Termignoni exhaust as well as Marchesini wheels?

·
Registered
19 Posts
No the 749S always came with showa suspension, No termi, yes marchesini, but not the forged ones (the good ones)

I think they all come back as biposto on VIN search

Head on ever to Desmotimes and buy the book if you plan on servicing it yourself, take it for a couple of shake down rides before heading to the track, italian things can break from being not being used enough or being used too much, or something like that.

EDIT: I didn't see the pic, that's showa suspension on the front (idk why a bunch of them have that sticker) Ohlins forks are gold, but a Ohlins rear off of a 999S and maybe not a Termi and just a sticker ( can confirm with some pics, my bike had one as well). Also if you want to sell some of your factory plastic let me know.

There are some interesting things going on there, a couple of magnesium parts (or someone painted them to look that way)

Headlight housing and valve covers from what I can see.

Nice upgraded steering damper (OEM was showa even on the S)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying some S's came with Showa forks and Ohlins stickers on the forks or the PO put those stickers on? How lame is that?

I thought the headlight housing was magnesium but now you have me questioning it as well. It doesn't look painted though.

Definitely an aftermarket can as it has "For racing use only" stamped on the bottom. I attached the best pics I could take without removing anything.

I'm interested in selling the stock bodywork. Are you interested in all of it or just certain pieces? I'll take some better pics of the damage and PM you.

20191120_073344.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
"PO put those stickers on? How lame is that?"
I couldn't agree more but my bike had them when i bought it

I thought the headlight housing was magnesium but now you have me questioning it as well. It doesn't look painted though.
It may well be mag and it if is they are rare as hens teeth, cash it out and use the money to fund track days

Definitely an aftermarket can as it has "For racing use only" stamped on the bottom. I attached the best pics I could take without removing anything.
100% termi

I'm interested in selling the stock bodywork. Are you interested in all of it or just certain pieces? I'll take some better pics of the damage and PM you.
for the right price I would take it all I am in need of the lower left (they all get crashed on the left side idk why), nose and wing. Send me some pics

I just spent the last year buying and getting my 04 749S back into shape if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I couldn't agree more but my bike had them when i bought it

It may well be mag and it if is they are rare as hens teeth, cash it out and use the money to fund track days
I took a closer look and they castings are 100% Showa as that is stamped on the inside of the fork leg. I know the PO mentioned re-springing the front end so it will be interesting to see what the internals look like.

I'm PM'ing you some pics of the body and we can go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts