Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 1993 900SS in incredibly good condition and mostly stock. It's my first Ducati, but certainly not my first motorcycle. Got my motorcycle license back in 2010 when a friend gifted me his old 1990 Kawasaki EX500, which I own to this day as my daily rider that has racked up roughly 100,000 miles since I got it. Other bike is an old XR600 I use for fun in the dirt.

I purchased the SS a few weeks back as I was ready for a higher powered sport bike but didn't want an inline 4 Japanese bike. I got hooked on the air cooled 2 valvers after taking a friend's 750SSie for a spin last summer. Always been a sucker for torque over peak horsepower. So when finances finally came together a couple months back, I began the prowl for a clean air cooled Monster or Supersport. After a while of looking and an extremely bad experience looking at (what turned out to be a complete turd) a '96 Monster 900 at a small used motorcycle dealer, a very clean 900SS popped up on the local craigslist. Originally out of my price range at $5,000, it dropped to $3,500 after about 3 weeks. A good friend, who currently own a 996 and is on the forum, linked me the ad again after it hadn't sold for a week at that price, knowing I was in the market for a Duc, strongly urging me to snatch it up.

So, I finally made the decision to call the guy, and a few days later finally had it in my garage. It only needed tires to be ready for the twisties. Tires were date stamped from 2007. Given the bike had 11,500 miles, this didn't surprise me. Fluids, belts and valves were done last year, with the head studs being replaced as well as a preventative measure.

So, here's a picture of it before rolling it into my garage after work today, with brand new Michelin Pilot 2CT's.

And for those interested, here's a shot of the full fleet, minus the Saab. Yes, including the old Yota and Cannondale, though the Pontiac Vibe does not belong to me.
Nothing in my ownership is wrenched on my anyone other than myself, including the Duc.

Reactions: PhilBoncer

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,253 Posts
Very nice. After getting used to the Duc you may think the EX is a little wanting. I used to have one many years ago. Onward and upward... :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Duc is a superior bike and overshadows the little EX, but that little old bike does make for an excellent commuter. Its suspension is a bit more forgiving than the SS, which is a good thing on the poorly maintained back roads in my area. Additionally, it's worth next to nothing, so nobody will steal it when I regularly park it in questionable neighborhoods in San Francisco :). I've also got a TON of spare parts for the EX (multiple spare engines, carbs, frames, IC Igniters, etc), so it makes financial sense to keep around.

But when I want to have a bit more aggressive fun, that's what the SS is there for!

Reactions: PhilBoncer
1 - 3 of 3 Posts