Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery today of a DID 525 x 106 Links VX Pro-Street Series Xring Sealed Natural Drive Chain for my Triumph TT600. After installation and adjustment I have .75" of play at the tight spot and 1.5" of play at the loosest spot. I've made a complaint to D.I.D. and will post a followup. I'm extremely unhappy right now.

Has anyone else encountered this? i installed the same chain but in 530 on my Suzuki SV1000S last year. It's been run about 3K miles and has almost uniform free play at any point on the chain.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I used to find that issue when I bought Diamond brand chain off the spool at the farm store, but not on name brand pre stretched chain. Although it could be sprocket wear it seems like that would have to be pretty worn to cause that much difference ? Do your sprockets look worn ?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I guess you could have got a bad chain with the outsourcing of everything everywhere these days, but something sounds off here. I've run DID chains for years with nothing more than normal wear and tear.

I would recount the number of links to make sure you didn't receive an extra one. I would recheck your chain adjuster to make sure it didn't get loose and slip. I would recheck the measurement parameters for your particular bike. And as posted previously, if you didn't change the sprockets at the same time, that can be factor.

Barring that, it sounds like you got a chain that was put together with rubber bands. :) :confused:

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
When I said I haven’t gotten a bad chain in a long time I wasn’t inferring it couldn’t happen. Anyone who thinks a good company can’t make a bad part has never worked in a factory. If you’re sure it’s the chain, send it back.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yea, DID is a POS chain. Replacing my ZX11 DID with a new DID ZVMX Gold. Only was able to get 29,000 miles out of my last one. Junk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Any follow up @tomf?

I installed a new DID 530 ZVM-X on Saturday, along with sprockets (+2T rear), and did around 60 miles to try it out. After that, just work and back for the last few days (3 mile round trip). This morning I had to adjust the chain again as it had developed approx 1cm of slack.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Any follow up @tomf?
Just checked user profile or whatever and the first post here was the last time seen.

Even if the claim is true, which I doubt having used DID for years, it is not fair to DID to post a claim like that and then not follow up.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
In his original post, he said he’d follow up. I guess we’ll see. I see nothing wrong with posting about an experience with a product. I don’t believe it was done in a malicious manner. As I said, even a good company can make a defective product. The post got some feedback from others, and overall I think the end result was a positive response towards the quality of the product.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
In his original post, he said he’d follow up. I guess we’ll see. I see nothing wrong with posting about an experience with a product. I don’t believe it was done in a malicious manner.
For me the biggest issue is he's asking us to invest in a thread he's not invested in himself. This was not an 'observe and report' assignment. The OP specifically asks 'Has anyone else encountered this?'

Not checking back in to either thank people or close his query out is rude IMO.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
The OP was on the forum yesterday.

QED (Latin stuff Google it) for my signature.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
For me the biggest issue is he's asking us to invest in a thread he's not invested in himself. This was not an 'observe and report' assignment. The OP specifically asks 'Has anyone else encountered this?'

Well, people do have lives. Sometimes life priorities supersede posting in motorcycle forums. It helps to put yourself in the shoes of others. Would you want to be called "rude" if life situations took precedence over replying to answers in some motorcycle forum? I think that's somewhat harsh.

Try to remember that the "OP" may not be the only person that reads your input to questions. There is literally a global audience. That said, the tiny bit of effort we put in to typing a reply may (and probably will) help out other people that are not even members here. That said, one's (relatively) small contributions are not for nothing (I mean really now, how much personal effort has been expended when typing a few lines on a computer?).

:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Yea, DID is a POS chain. Replacing my ZX11 DID with a new DID ZVMX Gold. Only was able to get 29,000 miles out of my last one. Junk
I got about 10000 out of my last zvmx gold... but I think it was due to a combo of 14t front and 525. I'm now back at 530/15t (zvmx) and we'll see.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The OP was on the forum yesterday.

QED (Latin stuff Google it) for my signature.
QED means "I don't have to explain myself because I've just provided a rigorous proof". Your signature is more of a policy, but one I happen to agree with so lets not split hairs in the interest of puritiy. :wink2:

* I assume you mean "quod erat demonstrandum" not "quantum electrodynamics"...not relevant me thinks but a great book by Richard Feynman none the less if you're a physics geek.

Well, people do have lives. Sometimes life priorities supersede posting in motorcycle forums. It helps to put yourself in the shoes of others.
Well I have a life too. I'm as busy as anyone but I don't open threads then abandon them. Dropping a comment on someone else thread is different. As per above, not a proof, just my policy. Sorry, dude be rude.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts