Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Cycle World has a comparison of the new Explorer, Tenere, Guzzi Stelvio and the 1200S Touring.. Both on AND off road comparisons and the Multi is the winner:D . It appears the longer this bike around the more folks are noticing what we already know.. The article goes on to say that the Multi is second only to the Tenere OFF ROAD. Hmm.. Might be time for me to get the Altrider crash bars and some TKC tires :think:

·
Registered
115 Posts
17" front will always be considered a limiting factor for off-roading on the MTS. Rightly so.

Frankly, I'm just fine with that! What the ducky does it does unbelievably well - CW got it right.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
as we've all said (well, at least i've said :)).....if you want the best road-riding upright, then look no further than the MTS12S.....i've always thought that most any motorcycle can traverse a gravel road, the question really becomes how can they handle true off-road conditions which is not what this comparo was about.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I tested all of those bikes including the BMW GS and the KTM SMT. I think the KTM SMT is the closest to the Ducati and a great deal for the price. IMO, the Ducati's 150HP sealed the deal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tested all of those bikes including the BMW GS and the KTM SMT. I think the KTM SMT is the closest to the Ducati and a great deal for the price. IMO, the Ducati's 150HP sealed the deal.
+1...that's more horsepower than most naked streetfighters (speed triple, 910 brutale, z1000, etc.)

I was thinking of putting a quick shifter on mine :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NowI am getting tempted to take it off road

After reading the review of how good the suspension is in the dirt I am getting tempted to take it on at least some fire roads that might be less than smooth to check it out. I dont ever see riding this bike like my 800GS but knowing it can handle some dirt is a good thing. I'm just not sure I want to add all the protection necessary to do it on a regular basis. I can only imagine the cost of replacing that headlight assembly

·
Registered
63 Posts
. I can only imagine the cost of replacing that headlight assembly
Well, that's th nail on the head. Headlight assembly or a host of other pretty Italian parts.

I had come to think of my multi as an Italian super model--maybe the girl in the Fiat Abarth commercial--just don't ask her to go anywhere she might break the heel off one of her expensive Italian designer shoes!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Well, that's th nail on the head. Headlight assembly or a host of other pretty Italian parts.

I had come to think of my multi as an Italian super model--maybe the girl in the Fiat Abarth commercial--just don't ask her to go anywhere she might break the heel off one of her expensive Italian designer shoes!
So true

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think of my multi as an Italian model

BUT

I give her a right "seeing to" twice a day and take her anywhere I want. She like to get dirty. :D

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
150? Is that all? 159 at the rear wheel here :eek:
WTF???
Stock for an MTS1200 is 150hp at the CRANK. Do you have dyno evidence of what you claim at the rear wheel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts