Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Sorry, can't agree with the whole 'X engine is prettier than Y engine' line of thinking. ALL modern vehicle engines, in fully dressed, actually functional state look like ass. The Ferrari engine given as an example above is NO different in its shitty lookingness. Actually, because it's turbocharged and needs all the extra crap that goes with that, it's worse.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2018/04/2019-Ferrari-488-Pista-factory-assembly-26.jpg

It's modern day way of things, sadly.

·
Bon Vivant
10,411 Posts
I have to go with SP3 on this. Modern engines look horrible and the ducatis are the worst. The engine in my Thruxton is a thing of beauty, the engines in the Tuono and streetfighter are tragic, a train wreck!

Geezus look at that! tubes, hoses, wires, and connectors with some carbon covers hiding the worst of it. Horrid!

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
I have to go with SP3 on this. Modern engines look horrible and the ducatis are the worst. The engine in my Thruxton is a thing of beauty, the engines in the Tuono and streetfighter are tragic, a train wreck!
Most modern motors look like crap.
Being brought up in a world of sandcast motors all I see is motors with the thinnest possible diecast cases that are just plain ugly like skinny girls with their ribs showing, give me an eye pleasing shape with a few curves any day.
Dog... I'll see your Thruxton and raise you a Daytona with classic curves :)

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
To those that disagree, that's fine. But just because they tried, for the first time to care about the engine, and it's not up to the look of a Ferrari power plant, I mean, come on of course. What your supposed to be excited about is that they care and are trying.

Also it's a "cheap" car, to compare it in any way besides "performance" to cars that cost 2x is dumb. No shit, a Vette isn't gonna have the fit and finish of a Superfast...NO TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE :)

I also agree that I really would like the Vette to be front engine, but like Ducati with their V4, they care more about winning some racing series. Gotta change with the times!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
@SP3 @flynbulldog ... I don't think I can be friends with you guys anymore. Call me nuts, but I LOVE those pics you guys posted. ;)

IMHO, this... is art. It is a triumph of applied engineering, and an expression of what a skilled team is capable of when there are no restrictions other than the boundaries of physics. Every, single, thing in that picture has a purpose, and every, single, thing in that picture works in concert with everything else, to achieve the single goal of building a machine to accomplish a task.

Maybe I am a little nuts, but this is, at least to me, art.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
To those that disagree, that's fine. But just because they tried, for the first time to care about the engine, and it's not up to the look of a Ferrari power plant, I mean, come on of course. What your supposed to be excited about is that they care and are trying.

Also it's a "cheap" car, to compare it in any way besides "performance" to cars that cost 2x is dumb. No shit, a Vette isn't gonna have the fit and finish of a Superfast...NO TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE :)

View attachment 976524

View attachment 976525

I also agree that I really would like the Vette to be front engine, but like Ducati with their V4, they care more about winning some racing series. Gotta change with the times!!!!
I do care, and I am excited. I just had my expectations set too high and was hoping, when I heard that the C8 would be mid engined, that we'd get something like this:

Or even this:

Am I disappointed? Yeah, a bit, but I'll get over it. Baby steps I guess... I just hope it's not too long of a wait, now that they've done away with one of the holdover traditions, to see a DOHC v8 in one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I do care, and I am excited. I just had my expectations set too high and was hoping, when I heard that the C8 would be mid engined, that we'd get something like this:

Or even this:

Am I disappointed? Yeah, a bit, but I'll get over it. Baby steps I guess... I just hope it's not too long of a wait, now that they've done away with one of the holdover traditions, to see a DOHC v8 in one.
A McLaren and a FordGT, yeah your expectations were toooooo damn high (meme).

And funny you mention a DOHC V8, because as I was looking at Vette engines I noticed that the last good looking one was the LT5 from the early 90s ZR1. My mother had one, design help from Lotus, manufactured by Mercruiser (aluminum experts).....now that is an engine that I think can stand up to any other. And I'll even throw out that this may be the best V8 ever designed for a road car? I could be well wrong there, but man, it felt good, it looked good it sounded GREAT under the hood and out the ass....damn I loved that bad boy! To bad the car was a TOTAL AND COMPLETE PIECE OF SHIT!

I should add what I like is that it indeed, looks like a huge massive chunk of aluminum which it of course is. I love that it has the CORVETTE script AND logo, and it's right there for you to see. It just looks perfect.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
@SP3 @flynbulldog ... I don't think I can be friends with you guys anymore. Call me nuts, but I LOVE those pics you guys posted. ;)

IMHO, this... is art. It is a triumph of applied engineering, and an expression of what a skilled team is capable of when there are no restrictions other than the boundaries of physics. Every, single, thing in that picture has a purpose, and every, single, thing in that picture works in concert with everything else, to achieve the single goal of building a machine to accomplish a task.
View attachment 976536
Maybe I am a little nuts, but this is, at least to me, art.
That's slightly better. But, only just. You've cheated though. That is a LaFerrari (no turbos/wastegates/wiring/plumbing). But, it still looks mostly like crap. I get what you're saying about the form follows function. But, as I said before, modern engines are covered/hidden by all the modern shit that makes them run they way they do and stay emissions legal. That's the price we pay. My friends have silly-money cars (LaFerrari, 918, 488, etc). At times, they've been open for viewing but, I've never asked to see 'the engine'. You can't, really. A bit of cam cover, the intake plenum. Not much else.

When I say an engine is beautiful, I'm talking about things like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Further, the Corvette is one fifth of the cost of the Ferrari (488). Even when the 'super duper' version of the Corvette arrives it'll still likely cost under a third of the same Ferrari. Some (lots?) of the cost difference is in how much time is spent (or not) on the engineering. Some (lots?) is spent on materials. So many compromises to keep the cost down that Ferrari doesn't have to worry about. Sadly, Ferrari's engineering and materials spending still results in a 3300lb car which I find repulsive for a 2 seat full-on sportscar.

·
7,547 Posts
Obviously they themed from the wrong era of Ducati :)

·
Bon Vivant
10,411 Posts
ProphetPVD, it's OK man, we know that you have a different point of view because of your work and your need to work in today's boundaries. But a mishmash of plumbing is tough to call art even when its completely necessary. Art is always in the eye, or the heart of the beholder.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
ProphetPVD, it's OK man, we know that you have a different point of view because of your work and your need to work in today's boundaries. But a mishmash of plumbing is tough to call art even when its completely necessary. Art is always in the eye, or the heart of the beholder.
I am pretty sure I've always been this way Mike... ;)

In all seriousness tho, I've always had this weird thing for complexity, especially what I've referred to here before as "elegant complexity".

When I worked for Autodesk I had the opportunity to be the Technical Advisor for a new Discovery Channel show called "Doing Da'Vinci" where a group of engineers and fabricators would take a Da'Vinci invention, design it using one of Autodesk's engineering design tools, and then build it. It would have been a great opportunity for visibility within Autodesk, and in general. I turned them down in about 5 seconds and told them if they were doing a show called "Doing Kelly Johnson" I'd be all in.

The problem I have with Da'Vinci's work has nothing to do with the designs themselves, they were brilliant, especially given the VERY limited materials he had at his disposal. Kelly Johnson's designs on the other hand made use of the latest material research and manufacturing techniques. At the end of the day, the stuff he did for Lockheed is VERY compelling, while Da'Vinci's work bores me to tears.

So, while I appreciate the brutal simplicity of say, a Ring Laser Gyro based guidance system...

It's the Advanced Inertial Reference Sphere (AIRS) which gives me wood...

Look at this fucking thing... It is one of the most complex and intricate machines ever made, and is the most accurate guidance system ever put into use. It's capable of calculating a course which is an order of magnitude more accurate than that which the control surfaces of the Peacekeeper missile that it controls are able to keep.

So, while I understand the affinity you and @SP3 have for the older, simple machines, they pale by comparison to what we are capable of producing today. I appreciate that those engines that you guys love represent the state of the art at that point in time, but it's the new designs that I find compelling.

·
7,547 Posts
All modern buyers are interested in is internet connectivity and mode selection.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Street Outlaws and No Prep Kings engines. Some of which exceed 975ci and have SIX nitrous oxide kits ... all of which is put down on 1/8th mile tracks doing 200mph+ in 4 seconds ... without any track prep (asphalt only ... no VHT). Beautiful engines, some of which exceeding five thousand horsepower ... all put down in one eighth of a mile in less than four seconds. Many times on public roads.

I mean .. "if we're gonna go there" ....

21 - 40 of 52 Posts