Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
Aprilia does a fine job of their basic engineering and the Dorsoduro motor should be a fine one, but will not match the Ducati for outright power in it's current state of tune. However, it is easily conceivable that the machine will be less troublesome and possibly easier to service.

Could be a good alternative to the MS, and I know I would have looked at it had it been available. Aprilia's dealer network is, if anything, weaker than Ducati's however (not here in Seattle, but many places). I have a last gen Caponord, and it is a very tough and durable bike.

We'll see, but I think it's a good thing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not bad. Look at the windscreen. It's "flaired out" out the bottom. Wonder if they learned anything from the M/S complaints about wind noise...

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's ugly, overweight and still uses old saddlebags. I was really hoping for something more exciting from Aprilia and they gave us a turd. Multi has nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's interesting but after looking it over it doesn't stir anything in me. I'd be curious to see how it does in a test though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
FI mapping

One thing I will add, though, my 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille had THE BEST fuel injection mapping I've ever experienced. Absolutely seamless. That was the Rotax V990 twin.

Great tranny, also...

--Doc

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
Not bad. Look at the windscreen. It's "flaired out" out the bottom. Wonder if they learned anything from the M/S complaints about wind noise...
The aerodynamics are likely to be better; fairing and protective elements are bigger than the MS, and they make a point of saying that they spent a lot of wind tunnel time in the development phase. Here's what I draw, head to head from their specs vs 2013 Multi:

1. HP
Multi: 150 Capo: 128

2. Torque (peak):
Multi: 88 Capo: 85 (much depends on curves)

3. Weight: Didn't see any given for the Capo (?) I'll guess the Multi may be lighter, remains to be seen.

4. Focus: Both use 17" hoops, cast wheels, suggesting both are more street than off road oriented

5. Luggage: I am going to give the nod to the Capo here as there is no cutout for the exhaust system, suggesting increased capacity.

6. Seat Height: Capo's seat is quite a bit lower; could be a factor for some riders.

7. Suspension: Both use Sachs components, 43mm front fork for the Aprilia, 48mm for the Ducati. Includes "dynamic damping" with electronic control by Aprilia using what looks like will become the ubiquitous Sachs system.

8. Price: Anybody know?

I would surmise from looking that the Aprilia will be more touring oriented, the Multistrada will remain the sporting riders choice.

I can say from owning two Aprilias that my impression is that they have fewer major issues than Ducatis.

Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing I will add, though, my 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille had THE BEST fuel injection mapping I've ever experienced. Absolutely seamless. That was the Rotax V990 twin.

Great tranny, also...

--Doc
Plus 1 for my 2001; but those bikes are essentially of a different era. The Rotax is a gem; I don't have any experience with the Aprilia built twin (but wouldn't discount it out of hand).

·
Super Moderator
6,008 Posts
I like it too, they didn't go for a bird look, no beak. Not super exciting, but handsome.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
Aprilia actually promotes that they have ADD. Might explain the love-hate styling.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
The biggest weakness, at least in North America, is the lack of dealers. You think Ducat dealerships are scarce in the midwest, good luck finding an Aprilia dealership. Here in California less of an issue, but my local Aprilia/BMW dealership dropped them for lack of interest. These bikes will sell on the coasts and that's about it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just took the time to watch the video...says cruise control...cool. Didn't mention heated grips but I'd guess it has them. Also, the vid shows gold colored fork legs...a tease of Ohlins?

I'd have to warm up to the look of the nose, looks like it's missing something.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Aprilla doesn't do a whole lot for me, but taste is very individual. I like this (though I think it is just a prototype)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Cruise control ??!!

Thats it.. selling the Multi for this one .... NOT.
There is nothing that can be the Multistrada. But I sure wish they would get on the cruise control thing. I am going to Death Valley this weekend and it sure would be nice to have during the 200 miles of slab I have to ride to get there..

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Once you've sampled the simplicity of a single-sided swingarm, you don't want to go back to messing with chain alignments after changing tires, again. :)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Thats it.. selling the Multi for this one .... NOT.
There is nothing that can be the Multistrada. But I sure wish they would get on the cruise control thing. I am going to Death Valley this weekend and it sure would be nice to have during the 200 miles of slab I have to ride to get there..
If there's one technology that makes me feel detached from any vehicle, car or bike, it's cruise control. Hate the damned thing! Never, ever felt the need or desire to let go of the throttle of my bikes. Never felt fatigue in my right hand. Cruise control is a complete non-issue for me. :)

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
If there's one technology that makes me feel detached from any vehicle, car or bike, it's cruise control. Hate the damned thing! Never, ever felt the need or desire to let go of the throttle of my bikes. Never felt fatigue in my right hand. Cruise control is a complete non-issue for me. :)

Have you ever had cruise control? I haven't either and I don't rate it as a feature I care about. But...at some point in time I might have said that about electronically adjustable suspension or ride modes :) Edit: sorry just saw you mentioned cars too! I'll confess, I use cruise control in the cage all the time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts